Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2009, 08:36 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I thought about installing a sidewinder hitch on our 08 Cruiser but thought I should ask what is crossroadsstand on this type of hitch and how would it affect my warranty and why would it affect it?
malojeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

We have one but it was installed by Lippert when the frame was built so it has a full warranty. This was a one off deal and we happen to be the ones that got it. You can call and ask Crossroads about it but I would bet they will refer you to Lippert since it will effect the warranty they offer.

Now I can tell you I had my doubts about the Sidewinder since I have a LWB truck and really did not need it but I was wrong. Our PP is 5' longer than our old Cruiser was and I can back this trailer and turn it tighter than the Cruiser. I can turn the truck 90* to the trailer and not even be close to having the trailer hit the back window of the truck. I say if it won't effect your frame warranty go for it you won't regret it. One nice thing is once I unhook the truck after we get setup at a park I can turn the hitch under the overhang so you don't run into it.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:11 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

It appears to me that the Sidewinder will put a large torque or twisting moment on the pin box/frame when turning. I would check with the factory to see if the frame is reinforced enough to take that.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BipeFlier
It appears to me that the Sidewinder will put a large torque or twisting moment on the pin box/frame when turning.

Actually, the Sidewinder has a large pivot at the pin box brackets that is unconstrained, so it can't put any force on the fiver unless the pivot was to seize up. There is stress on the hitch, specifically the hitch plate since a wedge is used to keep the extension from rotating via the king pin.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I think I have to go with Bipeflier on this one. From what I see on the description and the videos, it looks like the sidewinder rotates from the direct centerline of the trailer when the wedges engage the hitch. So at that point, instead of all the pin weight being centered directly in front of the trailer the pivoting of the sidewinder moves the weight bearing pin to the right or left of center, up to 90 degrees and close to 20 inches.

So the question in my feable mind is "Is the lippert frame built to handle the additional strees from the side?" Only Lippert can answer that and I'm sure they will if asked.

Since Hunter got it on his rig they will obviously allow it, but did they add some structural stiffeningto his rig? If Lippert will approve this it would be a great alternative to a slider hitch. Wish I had one.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

That is why I think he should contact Lippert. I do know a lot of people have added them to there pins but I don't know if it effects their warranty or not. I do know I called 5th Airbourne before we bought our trailer to ask some questions about the hitch and they put me thru to the guy that invented it. He told me the pin weight is the same on the Sidewinder as a regular pin box. I know Reese bought them out so you could also call them for more information on the hitch.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 12:21 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

My point was that the Sidewinder doesn't put any more stress on the fiver frame than normal, but yes it is at a different angle than normal. All pin box frame failures that I have seen reported deal with the 4 weld points to the front and rear crossmembers. The spacing front-to-rear is about 20 inches while side-to-side is only about 12 inches, so leverage on the welds would actually be less when the hitch is rotated 90 degrees. Static force (meaning the dead pin weight) acting on the frame is not the problem, dynamic forces encountered during towing are worse because they are in addition to the static force. The fiver probably spends in excess of 95% of it's towing life at angles of less than 15 degrees from the truck and certainly less than 1% at 90 degrees. Also, angles greater than 15 degrees are going to occur only at very low speeds (i.e. generally low dynamic forces). As an example, if I execute a 90 degree turn with the steering wheel at full cut, the maximum truck to fiver angle will only be 48 degrees and speed will be under 25 mph.

Having said all that, I agree that the real answer needs to come from Lippert. It would be good to know if they added any reinforcement to Keith's PP or even if they did any calculations for stress changes with the Sidewinder. At some point, I would like to add the Sidewinder to my Cruiser.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote