Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2020, 05:02 AM   #1
New Camper

Slide Floor Separation

2019 Cruiser 3391 fifth. The residential fridge sits in the forward end of the kitchen slide. When the slide is in the weight of the fridge separates the slide floor from the slide wall. Maybe 1" to 1-1/2" gap. Anybody else experience similar? Looks like the connection was just nails shot up through floor into vertical edge of wall. Thanks
TamMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
Site Team

If it is doing what you say no that is not normal. It is a 2019 take it back to the dealer and show them.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 07:16 AM   #3
New Camper

Pic

Here is picture showing what is going on with the slide room floor and wall.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200222_085912.jpg (141.7 KB, 62 views)
Old 02-22-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
Site Team

No that is not normal. Take it back to the dealer.
Old 02-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #5
New Camper

Dagst1 agree but my confidence in dealer not very high (2 strikes already) Was hoping someone could input their experience with similar issue and I might be able to fix it myself. I'll be taking it back to dealer over and over if they try to fix because instead of actually fixing it they will cobble something up and tell me it's all good. I know pretty cynical attitude. Sorry just how I feel they operate
Old 02-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #6
Site Team

If you are willing and able to fix it yourself. I think you will have to remove everything from the slide. I don't know what the slide looks like on the inside and on the outside.
So I'm going to speculate here.
The floor will have to be raised up to fit flush to the bottom of the wall.
If you can do that from the outside that would more then likely be the easiest place to put a board under the edge with a jack under it and carefully raise it until it meets the wall.
Then a very light weight angle iron can be screwed to both the floor and wall to hold it. The angle iron doesn't have to be real heavy material, but should be adequate in physical dimensions so it can be anchored back a ways from the edges.

Then a good bead of sealant to finish closing it up.
Like a stated, I'm speculating, but I think that is the way I would approach it.

Years back that was a problem some were having with their slide outs. (wall separating from the floor)
It was caused by people using the slide out when it was retracted. Standing/stepping next to the edge/wall.
When the slide is retracted the front end raises up when it comes in. When it's fully retracted, the front is up off the floor and has nothing to support it. I use a couple 1x4's to slip under the leading edge so the front is supported. So far, so good. We use our slide quite often in that position.

With the fridge in your trailer being right next to the end wall, it seems like a lot of weight there. Plus with the haphazard way they assemble these things it doesn't surprise me a bit that the nails/staples they shot in there missed their mark.

Good luck with your project, and keep us informed as to what you end up doing to get it fixed.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:05 AM   #7
New Camper

Thank-you Lloyd. We are both thinking along similar lines. I am somewhat concerned about fastners as they will have to be very short and if wood used for slide was only particle board the bouncing of the trailer during towing may work them loose. I'm thinking something additional to "lock" that fridge in during travel would be helpful as well as a support under nose of slide floor as suggested while it is retracted and we are traveling. I will post what I come up with. Weather needs to improve a bit here in Michigan to get started
Old 02-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I agree with lloyd, find the studs, they probably used staples to join walls to the floor and probably missed the floor joice completely, remove them, and when you see things come together, add industrial adhesive if you can, swap those staples for screws, and if it's at all possible you might be able to remove the panel and insulation inside to get a better ideal of whats going on when jacking up the floor, Just a thought. I do know as a fact your more apt to have a better finish than some flunkie watching the clock for the 5 oclock beer bell. The only thing that might be a tickler on the inside paneling is it's probably finished between the sheets with a tape that matches the exact color of the panels, however that might not be a problem if behind the fridge either. and at the end of the day you'll have a whole new understanding of that spot and say that ain't coming apart without a train wreck at the same time, lol...
Old 02-24-2020, 09:10 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

That looks like it could have happened if someone walked on the slide floor when the slide was in the in position. I always put apiece of 3/4"plywood on each end of the slide and one in the mid section,near the dinette seat back , when slide is in so I can walk on it. I dont have the fridge like yours but it could happen to mine just like the weight of the fridge.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

What they said. My only additional suggestion would be to have the lower end of the angle iron BELOW the floor to ensure the weight of the fridge doesn’t do it again. The lateral fasteners (screws) in the wall will hold substantial weight. You don’t want to be pulling the screws out of the angle iron, if fastened above the floor. Use an oscillating tool to make a slit that will accommodate your angle iron and screw it in from below. Then raise the floor and attach your wall, seal, etc.
***Going for 1 million miles***
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:39 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I know you all don't like engineering but...

hballer21... Good advice on angle below decking. But what vertical tension/compression load calculations were completed to assure that the weight is distributed properly across the span of the load bearing floor and sidewalls? I won't buy any slide RV because the manual operated one I had allowed the top to pull in before the bottom. That racked the floor upwards. The strength of screws laterally into sidewall studs(?) will exceed the ability of vertical lumber components to support the load imparted by the screws. Therefore the structural lumber you have relied upon in the sidewalls will fail and problem will persist. Slides seem to be the first failure in any trailer owned by people responding to this forum. Slides seem to be the primary cause of most electrical, structural, and leveling issues. Why would anyone buy one of these TT's or 5th's knowing all this?
Reese Weight Dist. w/friction sway control
jmnsn57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:09 PM   #12
Site Team

Manual operated slides? Most are power. They are designed to tilt as they go in or out to clear the floor. As to problems with leveling i have had none. Level the camper put the jacks down then run the slides out. Also the camper in question would have aluminum framing in the camper and slides no wood.

From what i see in the picture is the weight of the residential refrigerator while going down the road has caused the floor to separate from the wall. With the slide in there is no support across the front. The wall should have been screwed to the floor instead of stapled.

My cruiser has a RV refrigerator in a slide but it is not a flush floor slide. Over the years the floor where it sits has sagged a small amount but has not caused any problems. Slides if used properly are not a problem and they sure open up the camper but require a little more attention when using.

This is just MY opinion from my experience.