Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
New Camper

Slide Issue

Hi all, we recently purchased a 2008 CF31QB, and have recently noticed an issue with the large slide that holds the dinette and couch. When moving the slide out, it moves fine but seems to shift a little at the end. When moving it back in, it moves slow and the motor seems to struggle until the slide moves in about a foot and “straightens” back up. I’ve looked underneath and don’t see anything obvious, and I can lift up and down on the slide so it doesn’t seem to be binding. Any suggestions? Maybe an adjustment?
DHoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Slide

All I can say is good luck.

Last year my slide cost me $2500.00 to fix.

Our slide was doing th same sort of thing, I used to have my kids go on the outside and gently push the slide (one kid on each corner), helping the motor move the slide in.

Some times I had kids push on the corners (inside) to move the slide out.

One camping trip the drive motor gears jumped on the tracks, and the movement of the slide got worse.

Next camping trip it barley came in when we were packing up.

Off to a dealer for repair, all 4 worm tracks needed to be replaced to to excessive wear.

When I picked the trailer up, they told me
-never run the slide only part way out, how do you use the bathroom in a parking lot?
-never move the trailer with the slide out.
-always ensure the slide moves freely without binding
-never move the slide (in or out) with anyone sitting on the slide portion or any extra weight on the slide.
-when you run the slide in, hold the button for 3 seconds to allow the drive motor controller to recalibrate the slide position to the motor.

There is absolutely nothing to see under the slide, all you can really see is the worm tracks, top and bottom on each end of the slide.

Ours is a full 8 foot slide section, dinette and fold-out couch and I feel it is to large (to much weigh) for this sort of drive system.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 03:11 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I forgot to mention that they also told me to never operate the slide unless the trailer was perfectly level and blocked.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 07:03 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

I just had to work on my slide. If you do Google Search you may find the manuals for your slide. If its a Schwintek there is a way to calibrate the motors. Essential you put it all the way out and hold the button until the motors stop. Then bring it in 2 or 3 inches and repeat the first step. You keep doing this until the motors get into sync.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:22 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We had our Shwintek slide mechanism totally replaced 2 years after we purchased our Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB. Cost us about the same ($2,500.00). Not once was it ever mentioned to us before repair that we needed to fully extend OR fully retract slide and NEVER stop motion until it came to the end. We used to partially open slide to access bathroom while travelling, but now I just remove door in its entirety & store it between shower & closet (wedging it with sponge foam so as not to move while travelling). This works for us, only takes 5 minutes with cordless drill to replace screws on door hinges - only remove screws on door frame only, leaving actual hinge on door). I’ve read few people reverse door swing, but I personally didn’t care to have door swing towards inside of bathroom on a permanent basis. Yes there’s no privacy with no door, but it’s just my wife & I, so it’s a non-issue. You can always hang a bath towel up to add privacy if required.
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:06 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonemeister View Post
We had our Shwintek slide mechanism totally replaced 2 years after we purchased our Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB. Cost us about the same ($2,500.00). Not once was it ever mentioned to us before repair that we needed to fully extend OR fully retract slide and NEVER stop motion until it came to the end. We used to partially open slide to access bathroom while travelling, but now I just remove door in its entirety & store it between shower & closet (wedging it with sponge foam so as not to move while travelling). This works for us, only takes 5 minutes with cordless drill to replace screws on door hinges - only remove screws on door frame only, leaving actual hinge on door). I’ve read few people reverse door swing, but I personally didn’t care to have door swing towards inside of bathroom on a permanent basis. Yes there’s no privacy with no door, but it’s just my wife & I, so it’s a non-issue. You can always hang a bath towel up to add privacy if required.
As for the door , I reversed mine, just switch left and right plastic trim and reverse handle.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonemeister View Post

This is from the Schwintec manual.

Quote:
OperationExtending Slide-out Room1. Level the unit. 2. Verify the battery is fully charged and hooked up to the electrical system. 3. Remove the transit bars (if so equipped). 4.Press and hold the IN/OUT switch (Fig. 1B) in the OUT position until the room is fully extended and stops moving. NOTE: It is important to continue to press the slide-out switch for a few seconds after the room is fully extended until the motor shuts off. The control will sense that the room has stopped and will shut off the motor after a few seconds. 5. Release the switch, which will lock the room into position. Retracting Slide-out Room 1. Verify the battery is fully charged and hooked-up to the electrical system. 2. Press and hold the IN/OUT switch (Fig. 1A) in the IN position until the room is fully retracted and stops moving. NOTE: It is important to continue to press the slide-out switch for a few seconds after the room is fully retracted until the motor shuts off. The control will sense that the room has stopped and will shut off the motor after a few seconds. 3. Release the switch, which will lock the room into position.4. Install the transit bars (if so equipped

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

It’s funny how ALL this information comes out after the many slide issues experienced from all us RV’ers. When we picked ours up and did the PDI (back in 2012 - wow was it really that long ago?) NOT ONE person knew anything about the Schwintek system until they started having issues with it. I did call Lippert at one point few years back, and their rep did mention it. No one at dealer knew anything about them, or stated you needed to fully open/close then hold button down. I was told by Lippert to continue holding switch for 10 seconds after slide has moved to its fully extended or retracted position. New stuff coming out all the time......I hold my breath every time I open/close the slide!
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tonemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 04:27 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

My slide coming in seems to struggle for the first few inches, while the front tips up to clear the floor, then goes smoothly. on the way out, it runs smoothly until the last 6 or so inches drops to level with the floor. I always considered this to be normal.
All the other things they tell you not to do, I do on a regular basis ! partially opening to get to the restroom while on the road, opening slide when not leveled up, ect....
Old 08-11-2020, 08:36 AM   #10
New Camper

Thanks for all the info! I’ll try the reset procedures and see if that helps it. I guess as long as the side operates then all is well!
Old 08-11-2020, 09:16 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

I rebuilt/replaced the slide on my 2013 30' Cruiser Aire. The corner that the couch sleeper is on was always a problem, jumping track and hard on the gear mechanism. I the couch is unbelievably heavy. Removed it and replaced it with a lightweight futon from Walmart. Slide works smoothly and haven't had a problem since. Probably traveled about 8k since replacement and changing the couch. The slide replacements came from Lippert around $700 plus I believe freight, I only replaced the one side, but it was cheaper to buy them in pairs, plus new motors. That's been my experience, from the reading I've done, Schwintech's work better in lighter applications.
RVCRUISER34 is offline   Reply With Quote