Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Slide leaking

I have a 2013 Sunset Trail Reserve ST29RL13. We are living in it full time working toward selling our house and getting into a new one.
For the first 10 months, it had no leaks even in some very hard and heavy Central Texas rain/hail storms. Then we unhooked and moved it 50 miles to the current place. First hard rain and the carpet in the slide under the table/booth got very wet. Also water coming in under the shallow clothing slide in the hall.

It was very level side to side and front to back. I figured it was coming under the top seal on the slide so I lowered the side where the slides are a little thinking it would get the rain to drain toward the outside instead of coming to the seal side.

Rain again last night and the floor is wet under the table again. Not as bad but still wet.

I don't have all my tools here yet and it's been way too muddy to do much. No ladder to get up and look at the top of the slide, yet.

How likely is it that the top seals didn't seal well when it was moved out this time? Are they hard to replace or would they just need some adjusting?

This is our first TT and I am learning as I go.

Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Bob
Old 09-10-2020, 04:19 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Hi, we just did some major work on the slide seal. We found that the primary problem was the fact that the slide was off-kilter. Some of the support below had eroded due to rain getting into the floor. One of the most useful things we purchased was a digital moisture meter https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It allowed us to follow where the water was coming from (although the wet carpet was something of a clue) After we fixed the rot and re-supported the area below the slide, the seal was much better. However due to the fact that the compression had been far heaver on one side, the bulb was totally flattened and not doing its job. We had to replace the seal, but it wasn't that difficult. It was self-adhesive and applied fairly easily. Hope this helps.
Old 09-11-2020, 06:46 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I had a leak on our Seville bedroom slide. I found one of the slide wipers not fully coming out so it left a channel for water to come down into the camper. I now make sure that the slide flips like it should. Last rainstorm, no leaks.

Good luck on finding yours and repairing any damage. Water leaks are a bit persistent.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

Lean rv so slides are slightly down hill ,this helps water run out and off ends of slides,youll be surprised how much this helps,seals probably need replaced ,trying one piece self adhesive on mine,quick cheap and easy,well see how well it holds up
Old 04-29-2021, 07:28 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I realize I'm opening an old thread but I am the original author.

It was still leaking every rain since the move so I finally bought new wiper seals and D-bulb and replaced top and sides a couple of days ago. Caulked where they join the wall with Dicor no-sag sealant.
I also made a DIY slide topper out of the fabric made for that and actually screwed it to the camper and the outside top of the slide. It covers from the camper out and over the slide and hangs off 6" on each end.

It rained last night and it's as wet as ever.

If its not the top or sides of the slide, where could it be coming from?

Thanks for any ideas,
Bob
Old 04-29-2021, 03:16 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

If there are windows in the slide any chance water could be getting in around the window caulk?
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:42 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Maybe so but the gaskets look good. That'll be my next step tho.

Bob