Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Slide-out gear/motormalfunctioning

Zinger 2005, ZT25RK, 25 ft trailer our slide out gear and motor is missing teeth and will not move the slide in or out. We are able to move it manually directly from the emergency take-off

Question: How can we remove/replace the Libbert gear box and motor?

Can anybody tell us how to remove and install a new motor and gearbox?
Thank you in advance
Zeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 12:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Do you know what type slide system you have? Arms under the room or racks on the side of the slide?

Also if you could post a picture that would help.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2022, 01:04 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Slide-out gear/motor replacement

The motor/gear powering the slide-out of our 25ft, ZT25RK, needs to be replaced. The unit is located and mounted below the couch and above the floor inside the trailer. However, we cannot see a way clear to remove and replace the unit

Does anybody have the experience replacing this motor-gear unit? How is it done and what is required to get access to the motor/gear unit in this very awkward spot.

Are new motor/gears available and where...

We're able to run the slide-out using a drill and a 5/8 socket to the emergency power-take off by bypassing the motor

Old 08-11-2022, 01:09 PM   #4
Weekend Camper

One set of rack and pinions is located in the middle of the slide with rollers on both ends of the slide.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:16 PM   #5
Site Team

Here is a link to a manual https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd_0001598.pdf.

It shows' what I believe you are saying.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:25 PM   #6
Site Team

I combined your thread's because you asked the same thing in both thread's.

LCI has a very good library of service manuals online. The link I posted is for the under couch slide mechanism.
Old 08-11-2022, 01:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Here is a link to the LCI Support Documentation -- https://support.lci1.com/lci-above-floor-slide-outs.

Hope it helps.
Old 08-11-2022, 02:34 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

Thank you dagst1 for the info... yes... the Lippert, "above floor slide-out single rail assembly", is the unit installed in our trailer. It failed because it has teeth missing in one of the gears which is visible by taking off the gear housing back plate.
Would you happen to know a way, diagram or instructions to replace the unit?
Thank you in advance
Old 08-11-2022, 05:07 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Thank you so much for your valued pointers. We've contacted the manufacturer and am awaiting the answer to 3 questions
1) Is the motor/gear available without the rack and pinion system
2) Can the old motor be removed and a new motor/gear be installed without dis-assembling the slide-out? Are there workable "how to", instructions available
3) What is the cost of a replacement motor/gearbox
Old 08-12-2022, 11:09 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

We located the manufacturer, thanks to the help and advice of dagst1, but is there anyone who has worked, installed, or repaired a motor/gear below the slide-out and above the floor. Is it even possible to do that work without removing the entire slide-out?
Any and all help is valued and appreciated.
Old 08-13-2022, 07:24 AM   #11
Site Team

After looking at a few pictures to me it looks like access would be thru the front of the couch or you may have to remove the couch. You would not have to remove the slide it self. Now this is just based on pictures so hopefully someone here may have the same camper and more information.

Just to be sure we are on the same page yours looks like this :https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...cd-0003647.pdf..
Old 08-13-2022, 01:03 PM   #12
Weekend Camper

Thank you dagst1 for staying with us

Your PDF shows the correct unit installed in our slide-out. The exact same unit is current and continues to be installed in slide-outs today.

We wish if we could hear from someone who could tell us how to remove and install a replacement motor/gear. Any and all suggestions, ideas and help is super welcome

In the meantime we made an, about 28", long extension, with a 5/8 socket that fits the manual override and using a 1/2 drill we can open and close the slide-out without interference of the motor/gear. In addition we equipped the extension with a 6", wood handle which, in case we forget the drill, can open/close the slide-out for now.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:57 PM   #13
Site Team

Glad to help. Just a thought -- can you unbolt the jackknife sofa and gain access that way? Maybe work from the outside in until you expose the mechanism? It is attached to the floor of the camper and the floor of the slide and at the factory it went in before the sofa. There maybe a floor/ thin board between the sofa and the slide mechanism that you may need to remove. Once you gain access the motor removal should be pretty straight forward.
Old 08-18-2022, 07:00 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeil View Post
Zinger 2005, ZT25RK, 25 ft trailer our slide out gear and motor is missing teeth and will not move the slide in or out. We are able to move it manually directly from the emergency take-off

Question: How can we remove/replace the Libbert gear box and motor?

Can anybody tell us how to remove and install a new motor and gearbox?
Thank you in advance
Ours did the same thing. Repair cost was over $2500. The company had to fully remove the slide to install new worm tracks and gears. I am confident we did not get ripped off.

I do not know how you would take the slide out unless you own a fork lift or similar equipment.

This system (IMHO) is the worst type on the market. Manufacturer does not stand behind their product, neither did the dealer.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 03:48 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Thank you for your reply "dagst1 and egrum"

Just a couple of days ago we received a courteous answer from "Libbert", telling us a replacement part number but no hint or suggestion how to replace the unit.
At the same time letting us know that they are out of stock.

It makes me sad that this otherwise nice mechanical system installed in our trailers breaks down without offering a simple, inexpensive "do it yourself", replacement solution or... for people with more money a more reasonable professional cost.

A local dealer provided us also with a cost estimate of $2200 plus tax which is close to what you had paid

This, my dear fellow RVers should not be acceptable

We don't think that any trailer, old or new, warrants that kind of expense on something so simple but impossible to get at without a major upheaval.

So... for us to solve the problem and make it easy and acceptable (by my wife as well), is... to use the slide-out without engaging the motor/gear. We made and now use a long " extension", with a 5/8 socket drilled and pinned to it and use our cordless drill to open or close the unit from the front of the couch.

Voila... it opens and closes just as nice and at the same approximate speed. One drawback however, the front skirt needs to be removed which is a nuisance but not a big problem. (in time I'll think of a solution for that as well)

Just in case we would forget the drill, we made a wood handle and fastened this on the extension so we can crank it by hand or use the drill

Sure, it perhaps reduces the re-sell value ultimately but for now it functions every bit as well until we or someone else comes up with a more economical solution.

Your ideas, suggestions, recommendations, ideas or solutions are super welcome

By the way... crawling underneath the couch we took out the 4 screws and removed the back-plate from the gearbox and saw immediately the faulty PLASTIC GEAR, with several teeth missing. Bummer to have to pay $2200 to 2500 for that little piece of PLASTIC

Yes... I'm very sad, disappointed and furious with Crossroads for allowing such inconsiderate engineering... and that in today world
Old 08-19-2022, 05:34 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

Without knowing the mechanism, I am wondering if you can remove the plastic gear from the motor, take it to a machine shop and have one made from steel. Would be a lot cheaper than buying a new unit. In general gears as usually attached to the shaft with either a set screw or a pin that can be driven out with a small pin punch.
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 06:48 PM   #17
Site Team

The following info is based on what "I" believe is your motor on the slide.
If it is not, please ignore the info I post.

Here is a site for what I believe is the motor:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/klaub...045-141425.htm

And what I think is the gear.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/shop-...m?Search=16658

If you call E-Trailer, they may help with the install. 1-800-496-5010

Here is a video that may help you.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 10:58 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Thanks guys for the suggestions

The Libbert Customer Care Centre representative send the following information about the motor/gear but not a mention of how to replace the the unit. It is however, Crossroads who installed the motor/geardrive WITHOUT making adequate and economical provision for replacement. It makes me sad...

The motor gear box assy would be part# 117293 your cost $769.95 plus shipping. We are out of stock currently, once the part is ordered it is a 5 business day estimated lead from the time it is ordered before it will ship out.

If you go onto our website https://support.lci1.com/lci-above-floor-slide-outs you will be able to download the manuals you are looking for.
If you would like to order please contact us at the number below. Feel free to reply to this email with any questions or any additional part identifications.

As per suggestion of Baldeagel I removed the 4 screws and back plate of the gearbox and tried to remove the exposed, white plastic, faulty, missing teeth gear, by pulling it out but it would not budge... nor can I see a way to remove it...

It is a real bummer... my last hope is to contact Crossroads for solutions
Old 08-20-2022, 11:03 AM   #19
Weekend Camper

Thank you mark5w for your suggestion however, our motor/gear seems to be a different unit.
Old 08-26-2022, 08:52 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Hah guys... great news. As mentioned, I followed up with Lippert and was advised that our model gear box can be taken apart without removing the slide.

That's exactly what I was able to do today. Once the slide was manually moved in out position, it was easier to remove the 4 screws holding the back plate of the gear and wiggled the faulty gear out of the gear-head.

Libbert did provide the part number so I can order the correct gear and put it back in.

You may wish to know why the slide-out gear failed. Since the system is a single gear rack and pinion slide out, it has rollers on both sides to support the sides of the slide. I already noticed that one side sagged and was scraping in both directions.

Sure enough, on one side of the slide, the roller had slipped down and needed to be raised again. By carefully putting a jack with wood blocks below that side of the slide in out position, it could be relocated and fasten the roller in the correct position and thereby eliminating the unwanted friction that caused the gear to fail. Hopefully once the gear arrives I can fix this problem.