Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2015, 07:55 PM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Slide Out - Wall Floor Separation

I've had my new Zinger slightly over 90 days and have been so very happy with it. Today I went out to inspect the roof, treat the slide out seals, and dry lube the slide gears. While outside I noticed the seal along the (rear) bottom edge of the slide was slightly torn. I went inside and upon retracting the slide I heard a bit of noise from the rear portion. After the slide was all the way in I saw that there was a large gap between the edge of the wall and the floor. I then looked and saw that the floor had pulled away from the slide wall. It appears that the floor was attached with staples... many-many staples, which had pulled away from the wall. The slide has the jack knife sofa and dinette. I have never sat on the couch, and I have never stepped on the slide floor while it was retracted. In addition, I always make sure the trailer is level side to side and front to back. I measured from the top of the slide wall to ceiling and found a little more than an inch difference from front to back.

I hope that when it was constructed that more than just staples were used to attach the floor to the wall. I called CW and made an appointment and they have me scheduled for the end of the week. The SM told me that it could be as much as 3 weeks or more before it is repaired due to work load. Distressing, because I have now called and cancelled my reservation at a camp ground for a planned fishing trip.

Has anyone else had a floor wall separation, and was it an easy and lasting fix?
2015 Zinger 27RL (TT #5)
Ford F350 FX4
My toy = 2004 Corvette Coupe
AmericalVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
and I have never stepped on the slide floor while it was retracted.
Is it bad to do so?
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:22 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
Is it bad to do so?

Yes!
If the front lip of the slide out isn't supported, then when additional weight is put on the floor it's possible for it to pull away and separate.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericalVette View Post
I've had my new Zinger slightly over 90 days and have been so very happy with it. Today I went out to inspect the roof, treat the slide out seals, and dry lube the slide gears. While outside I noticed the seal along the (rear) bottom edge of the slide was slightly torn. I went inside and upon retracting the slide I heard a bit of noise from the rear portion. After the slide was all the way in I saw that there was a large gap between the edge of the wall and the floor. I then looked and saw that the floor had pulled away from the slide wall. It appears that the floor was attached with staples... many-many staples, which had pulled away from the wall. The slide has the jack knife sofa and dinette. I have never sat on the couch, and I have never stepped on the slide floor while it was retracted. In addition, I always make sure the trailer is level side to side and front to back. I measured from the top of the slide wall to ceiling and found a little more than an inch difference from front to back.

I hope that when it was constructed that more than just staples were used to attach the floor to the wall. I called CW and made an appointment and they have me scheduled for the end of the week. The SM told me that it could be as much as 3 weeks or more before it is repaired due to work load. Distressing, because I have now called and cancelled my reservation at a camp ground for a planned fishing trip.

Has anyone else had a floor wall separation, and was it an easy and lasting fix?
So sorry to hear that you have cancelled a trip, but very glad you are going to be able to get it fixed. If you have any issues with getting parts in in a timely manner, or can think of any way that I can help on behalf of CrossRoads, just holler!

I'm here to help!
ChristianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:19 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgy View Post
Is it bad to do so?
Should not be, but they recommend against it.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:12 PM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Gonna have to go through the owners manual.
2015 ST270BH
https://burgpath.us/photos/index.php?cat=13
Burgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 07:20 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianM View Post
So sorry to hear that you have cancelled a trip, but very glad you are going to be able to get it fixed. If you have any issues with getting parts in in a timely manner, or can think of any way that I can help on behalf of CrossRoads, just holler!

I'm here to help!
Your care and concern is deeply appreciated.
2015 Zinger 27RL (TT #5)
Ford F350 FX4
Old 08-20-2015, 07:22 PM   #8
Site Team

They have recommended for years not to walk or stand on the floor of the slide out unless it is fully extended. When it's in that position the lip rest on the main floor of the coach and in turn supports the floor of the slide out.

If the slide is pulled in, then the leading lip is up off the floor and there isn't any support for the slide floor. Which can and has caused the floor to separate from the wall when people have stepped on it.

It would be nice if they would anchor the walls and floor together with some light gauge angle iron. The staples just don't seem to do the job.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Yes. Agree with Lloyd. Don't step on the floor or sit on the couch with the slide in. There is no support under it when retracted and only a few screws holding it together. When it is out, the floor is supported by the trailer floor.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

about stepping on the floor . I made 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood about 12" x12" and slide one on each end and the 3rd in the middle of the hanging edge when the slide is in . Did that cause I accidently stepped on the floor when it was in and it ripped the top part of the dinette back from the wall.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:40 PM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I made 3 pieces of 3/4" plywood about 12" x12" and slide one on each end and the 3rd in the middle of the hanging edge when the slide is in.
Thanks for the tip Harley. I was looking at it today and was thinking that I could fashion some type of shim, perhaps covered with some carpet or or heavy felt to help support the leading edge and sides of the slide when it's in.

The jack-knife sofa is fairly heavy, and I suspect that may be the culprit. That section of the slide floor more than likely takes somewhat of a beating while traveling down the road, especially one that is a bit rough.
2015 Zinger 27RL (TT #5)
Ford F350 FX4
Old 08-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Dropped off my camper at CW this morning. The Service Manager came out to take a look at the slide floor/wall separation. He said "I've never seen this happen before!" - I took that two-ways... the first is that build quality is such that it is a rare occurrence, and second is that he is inexperienced. I hope it is the former. He was a bit younger than I expected, however I hope that the person(s) that actually do the repair work are up to speed.

The SM also told me that he will have to email Crossroads to get authorization to do the repairs under warranty. On previous campers I've owned I've never had a warranty claim so this is all new to me.... so is it normal to have to ask the manufacturer for permission to do the work? And does anyone know how long it takes to get the authorization?
2015 Zinger 27RL (TT #5)
Ford F350 FX4
Old 08-28-2015, 03:13 PM   #13
Site Team

Normal. Usually they take pics and send to Crossroads. For me the process took about a week. Getting the dealer to do the warranty work was another story.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:18 PM   #14
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
Normal. Usually they take pics and send to Crossroads. For me the process took about a week. Getting the dealer to do the warranty work was another story.
Thanks Mark! From the looks of the number of rigs waiting to be serviced, I'm guessing it will not be a very fast process. And that's fine, as long as it's done right.
2015 Zinger 27RL (TT #5)
Ford F350 FX4