Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-05-2010, 05:09 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I used our FW for the first time. It snowed, and the temps went down to 18 degrees. By the time we decided to pack it in and return home, most of the snowhad melted on the slide outs, so we retracted them with no problems.

My question, does anyone do any winter camping, , and if so, does extending the slide outs create a problem with the seals.

It seems to me that ice could get underneath the seal, or if frozen in place, you could actually tear the seal. We are probably heading south in mid Feb., or March, and we'll most likely still have snow and freezing temps when we leave.

P.S.

You folks south of the Mason-Dixon line don't need to answer!
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 05:30 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

If you have a 5er you can see all your seals with no problems. You can also see if you have ice or water on your roof. We left the Lake Champlain area 6 days ago and are now in ocala florida for 3 months.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 06:42 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit

If you have a 5er you can see all your seals with no problems. You can also see if you have ice or water on your roof. We left the Lake Champlain area 6 days ago and are now in ocala florida for 3 months.
I agree with cwit. I just wish he wouldn't keep mentioning this business about being in Florida for the next 3 months.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Invest in a slide topper - I have had slide topper's on my last 2 campers and fromspring pine spills, summer rain storms, fall leafs to winter camping they keep the slide roof and seals protected.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

I'm Sorry I keep mentioning I,m down here. If it makes you feel better it hase been below freezing every night sence we got here and hasn't been over 45 during the day. I think we snuck in the cold with us. lol
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:03 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

cwit ... we left ontario on dec. 28 BUT left the door open so here we are about 2 hrs. south west of ocala in palm harbor and yes it is cold but will start to warm up next week

also our pool heater broke down . but we will be ok as we will be here till april 5th.

have a great time ok pete

https://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x...2005zinger.jpg
vanhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

We left south of Chicago last Saturday morning heading for Gulf Shores, Alabama and the temp. was -3 degrees. We stopped two nites on the road and opened and closed all three slides each nite with no problems. We are now settled for our three month stay and I checked all the seals today and they look fine. Temp is 48 today and will be warmer next week.
2010 CF30SK Patriot
2007 CF30SK
dalemac377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:27 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I was talking about this very same subject with my neighbor about a month ago who also has a TT.

He had said that a friend of his had opened his slide when it was below zero out, and that the seal held up, and didnt rip off, but the seal was frozen to the side of the trailer and it ripped a large chunk of the side of the TT off the trailer when the slide came out. It of course had to be repaired as it left a large hole in the side of the trailer. Definitely be careful with that for sure as it can happen.

Brian

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:54 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

We live in Southern Ontario and I opened the slide last year on our other trailer and bent the lower skirting. The water had run down to the bottom of the slide and had frozen in the rounded portion of the skirting. All I can say is be very careful!!!

Rob,Sue&Cyndi

2008 Dodge 3500 6.7
RSCREES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 02:28 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

We attempted to open the main slide in very cold weather a couple of years ago. I say attempted because the slide stuck, the synchro gear on one side jumped and lost a couple of teeth......... Needles to say, a lot of aggravation. Now we do not attempt to open slides if we suspect they may be frozen.
https://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r...aravan07-2.gif
pegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

If all goes well, we'll be heading to North Carolina in mid-Feb. I think we'll put in at my nieces house in Richmond, Va. for the first night. If it's cold, we'll sleep in their house, if not we'll stay in the trailer - slides out.

Thanks for the input.
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote