Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2019, 04:13 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Slide seals

Good morning everyone,
I am replacing leaky slide seals on my ‘13 sunset trail 31bh. I have a leak at the back of my rear slide. I am finding that the side bulb seal is smaller in height compared to the top and bottom bulb seal on the outside.
On the inside, I am finding each side bulb seal is a different size.
I know these are all built very carelessly, but this seems to be a bit odd. Has anyone come across this? The faces of the camper side and slide out flange are all on the same plane. I see no reason for different size seals. Should I replace with the same size bulb seal all the way around?
Thanks, Jim
Jim1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

When I replaced mine a few years ago, they were all the same size. Are you sure it isn't just deformed a bit from the slide "squeeze"? I don't know of any reason to have different sizes unless there is an issue with the slide alignment when closed that could not be corrected with adjustments. Does seem strange.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 04:18 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

Good morning Stan,
I am confident that they are different sizes. Maybe that is contributing to the leak issue. When looking at bulb seals, I see some have an arch in the base and some are flat. Do you know any reason to go with one over the other? The style on my camper is where the wiper has a built in track that the bulb slides onto.
Jim1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 06:37 AM   #4
Site Team

I have never had to replace any seals on the slide-----yet.
If it was me, I would concentrate on replacing the ones in the area that are leaking, and more then likely replace them with the same type of seals that are not leaking.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:21 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

It sounds like your seals are the same as mine which CR uses a lot of. My bulb (actually called a D-Bulb) all had flat bottoms which slid into the slots of the wiper. Wipers come in multiple widths (wiper part) so measure carefully. Shop around as prices vary greatly. I purchased the wiper and bulbs at different places due to price variations - not cheap. Pretty easy to replace. Cleanup after removal took a while as did caulking after installation. What Lloyd said makes sense.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote