Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

When it rains, our slide awnings begin to droop with the weight of the water, so I side the slides in and the rain water pours off, but then I fear rolling them out again is wasted wear n tear so I leave em in and we dont go in the camper for several days because its too much trouble to slide em out again, but then after a while we do...but then it rains again....get the picture?...lol...What do you guys do? Our rig stays in the back yard and we like access but are afraid the droop will become permanent...

06 F350 KR PS CC SRW

...Wish we were camping...
cowboy_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

1. Leave them out and retract when ready to leave.
2. Get a swimming noodle and place under them that will support them

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

We keep the trailer here at the house and we have slide toppers. We leave the slides in unless we have something to do in the trailer or we are loading it for a trip. I don't like leaving the slides out all the time so that the seals are not exposed to dirt and UV from the sunlight. When we are on a trip and it rains the toppers do sag a little from the weight of the water but as soon as it stops raining Ibring the slides in enough to dump the water off and they go back out again. They tighten back up when they dry out. Been doing this for several years now with no problems. Hope this helps.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

2nd Keith's thoughts. We leave ours in unless needed...especially with the 30SK; as you can get to everything with the slides in, except the BR drawers.

Good luck.

Bailey, the Lap Cocker Spaniel

07 Cruiser 30SK

07 Dodge CTD 5.9 3500 QC 4x4

https://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...andcamper2.jpg

&lt
Cobra909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Beach ball! A small beach ball works to shed water on the slide toppers.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:19 AM   #6
New Camper

The slide toppers can also be adjusted and tightened up a bit which helps them shed water. It's not a complicated chore if you are handy with tools and are careful when you do it. If I'm not mistaken, instructions for doing it are on the mfg's website. In not, they'll send instructions if you ask.

In my case, my dealer put some extra tension on them when I asked and now they lay flat when open and the water sheds of the end that I leave a little low when setting up the trailer. I never - ever - try to set up perfectly level but rather, I set it up slightly tilted down on the left side and up toward the front. That way, the roof drains away from the front porch and back toward the rear bumper. The slide toppers drain toward the rear, which presents a problem if they are draining when I'm in the utility closet but that can be handled.

You do not have to tilt it so that it's uncomfortable. A half a degree or a degree should do it.

Jeb1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I agree with the beach ball method. We keep a stock of cheap inflatable beach balls and when staying in place for more than a night, if rain looks likely, I just inflate a ball to the appropriate desired amount and push it to the middle of the slide topper with a broom. I carry a 4' stepladder for this and other purposes. This works very well. I think putting more spring tension on the mechanism may put a strain on the moulding across the top of the slide.
Pull Dog is offline   Reply With Quote

« slide outs | tires »