Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

2011 305skp, does anyone have slideout awnings on theirs. The living room and kitchen slide on the backend are so close to the roof line someone told me that there may not be enough room to add the awnings. If someone has them would it be possible to take a good close pic showing them mounted. Looks like there is less than 3inches between slide and roof because of the way the roof slants back.
thanks

shoe2728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:28 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

I think I have the same clearance on my Zinger ZT25SB slide out. I am having Camping World install a slide out awning this week. They already have the camper. I am supposed to pick it up Thursday afternoon. I will let you know how it turns out.
NH Horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:31 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

Hey thanks, appreciate that

Old 04-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

My ST doesn't have awnings. Any opinions on whether or not they are worthwhile?
Old 04-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I think the first time you camp out for a weekend, a twig or limb falls on the roof of your slide and you pull it in and damage it, you will know how much you wish you had one. As far as the other side, that's a matter of choice but, if your fridge happens to be on that side and you camp in the sun, an awning is nice. By the way, it can also be used to sit under out of the rain and sun <grin>
Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Dropped off my Zinger yesterday for slide out awning install. The awning was a Dometic "slidetopper" as seen on page 44 of the Camping World 2012 Master Catalog. I picked the correct size for my slide. They have a club price of $52.65 for installation. The side wall above my slideout was about three inches (as mentioned in an earlier post by another). I picked up my camper today and everything looks fine. We were concerned about how much room there was above the slide and was it enough. Well, after the slideout awning is installed, I still have two inches left from the top of the awning mounting rail to the roofline. It only takes about one inch for this particular awning mount.
Old 04-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Glad it worked out for you, Guess maybe awning will fit on mine also. That will make the DW happy, she has been wanting them.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:01 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

We have slide awnings on all 3 slides of our CF30SK. All were installed at the factory.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 02:43 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Horseman
I think the first time you camp out for a weekend, a twig or limb falls on the roof of your slide and you pull it in and damage it, you will know how much you wish you had one. Â*As far as the other side, that's a matter of choice but, if your fridge happens to be on that side and you camp in the sun, an awning is nice. Â*By the way, it can also be used to sit under out of the rain and sun <grin>

I've pulled in a few "twigs" without damage, and I do take a look up top before retracting. No toppers needed here.

Northern California

2004 CF25RS

2004 F250 SD PSD

https://i632.photobucket.com/albums/u.../Truck5th2.jpg

Korbe & Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I have a 2011 305skp with slide awnings. They were either factory installed or they were installed by RVW, but they were on the 5er when we took delivery. I'll take some pictures and send them to you.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Family Vacation Member

Thanks much, that would be a big help, just doesnt look like there is much room. My DW really wants the awnings, she thinks without them too much stuff comes off the top into the FW when the slides come in.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

You should be cleaning the tops of your slides before bringing them in. If you don't you risk doing damage to the seals. I check for debris on top of my slides even though I have the awnings. It usually takes a pretty strong wind to get something up there with the awnings but it can happen.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

Korbe & Diana
To each his own!
Old 06-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

I too have put the slideout awing on my Sunset Trail 29RL. As mentioned they really protect the roof of the slide out from twigs and such from getting drawn into the seals of the slide. I had the dealership install one which matched the rest of the camper's trim (black). A little pricey but I think well worth the money and it looks great too.

Madisonville, KY

'12 Sunset Trail Reserve, 2007 Dodge 2500 Ram MEGA CAB Cummins 6.7 Diesel
kymedic513 is offline   Reply With Quote