Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 30SK. We will be traveling shortly and I would like to know if there will be a problem using the unit without extending the slides. We would like to stop in rest areas or Walmarts and prefer to not put the slides out. We will also be spending a couple of nights in cold weather and figure it will be much easier to heat with the slides in.

boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Operating the rig with the slides in should not be a major issueexcept for a few issues. I believe the rear heater duct or center duct register may be covered by the fridge slide when in; don't step on the inboard edge of the slides as damage may occur. The other issue is the fridge will not be level with the slide in. Not sure is operating the fridge in this manner will damage anything but you may experience a temp fluctuation. Personally, I would put out the fridge slide just to level it and to give more room inside.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 10:58 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

None of the heat ducts are covered with the slides in. The fridge operates normally while traveling with the slide in. My concern is the whight on the slides while in especially the bedroom slide while sleeping.

boge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Now that it is daylight I went and rechecked and on the 07 30SK the center heat duct is in fact 50% covered by carpeting...not sure what year rig you have but they may have moved the location on newer year models. As far as the fridge goes, my point was that you are not suppose to operate the fridge when off-level for long periods due to the problems of air pockets forming in the system. While traveling, the movement of the rig prevents this but when parked and the slide in, my fridge is WAY off-level. Seems to me camping overnight with the slide is would be considered a long period.

I don't know about the weight on the bedroom slide. A call to Crossroads may answer that question.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:49 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

We often eat meals in the camper at rest stops. If space is tight we don't open the slide or we only partially open it depending on the parking space. At night we always extend the slide. We have camped in 20 degress weather and it makes little difference whether the slide is out. These units only have about 1 inch of insulation and loose heat in so many places that keeping the slide in, isn't worth it.