Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

When I first got our Cruiser last August I would drive at 65 - 70 mph. The fuel economy of the Duramax was about 10 mpg. After paying attention to the tire sticker I am now towing at a constant 63 mph and getting a constant 11.5 - 12 mpg. For safety sake I should have been doing that speed all along.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 11:56 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

We get about 13 at 55 nothing less than 9 at any speed. We normaly try to keep it at 70-75 max.

Leaving Bristol Nascar race yyou will have campers passing you at over 100mph. We had a class A pass us on the way there one year and they were doing at least 110 and blew a drive tire right at my drivers door while passing us, I'm glad I had another pair of shorts, I needed them. He had quite a bit of damage from what I could see

gtoguy1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:46 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

What type and size tires are on your RV? The ones on ours specify 65 mph maximum.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:11 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I know I have posted this in the past. From Goodyear's PSB 2006

THE GOODYEAR TIRE & RUBBER COMPANY
PRODUCT SERVICE DEPARTMENT
Page 1 of 2

Product Service Bulletin
Important Information To Better Service Your Customers

Post For Ready Reference

March 6, 2006

PSB #2006-06

TO: Goodyear Company Owned Outlets
Goodyear Contract Dealers

Subject: Marathon Special Trailer Applications - General Information

Goodyear Marathon tires are widely used in a variety of towable trailer applications and are designed and
branded as “ST� (Special Trailer) tires.

This bulletin is designed to help you obtain the best performance from tires with the ST (Special Trailer)
designation. Please review the following important points with your Goodyear Marathon customers.

•
Industry standards dictate that tires with the ST designation are speed restricted to 65 MPH under
normal inflation and load conditions unless a different speed restriction is indicated on the sidewall of
the tire.

•
Based on industry standards, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph,
it is necessary to increase the cold inflation pressures by 10 psi above the recommended pressure for the
load.
o
Do not

exceed the maximum pressure for the wheel.

o
If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then the
maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph.
o
The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi beyond the inflation specified for the
maximum load of the tire.

•
Drivers should always obey posted speed limits and reduce speeds when necessary based on vehicle,
road, weather or traffic conditions.

•
Trailers tires should be operated at inflation pressures that are specified by

the trailer manufacturer.
The trailer manufacturer’s inflation information can usually be found in the owner’s manual, tire
information placard or vehicle certification label, usually located on the forward left side of the trailer.

•
Cold inflation pressures should be checked every morning during trips and monthly while in storage.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote