Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
Seasonal Camper

Hey everyone,

I know I have seen some campers that bring a small portable fridge with them and set it up outside on a table.

My question is this, if anyone here does this, do you plug it in at home and load it up and get everything inside it cold before you leave for a trip, then it is mostly cold still when you arrive? Or do you just set it up at the campground and let it get cold there then stock it?

I am asking because I just got a small fridge and figured Id see what everyone else does on the forum.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

I got a small fridge I secured in my pass-thru. I use a velcro strap to hold it closed while in transit. It only runs on 110v, but its really only for beer... I'm guessing you don't have the space to do that since there were no flush floors in 2004. I supposed if its only unplugged for an hour or 2, it should be ok to stock it before you leave. One thing that I do know you will need to watch for: if it is a thermo-electric fridge its NOT recommended for perishables-- for that you will need one with refrigerant.

'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:46 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have a small dorm frig. and I usually leave it unpluged untill we get to a campsite. As stated it is a bear and soda frig.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 08:47 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I mean beer not bear.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

The fridge I have is a small dorm type fridge and does runon refridgerant. All Im going to use it for is some pop and scotch.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I have a dorm type fridge in my pass thru, the electric plug was already there, we also have a wine cooler next to the frigde, I got the fridge at walmart, we just use it for beverages...works nice, and it's better than going in and out, I have a TV on the pass thru on the other side....

2004 Ford F-350 CC dually 4X4
mbinohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I had one installed in the front compartment, but found it wasn't very cold and more of a pia, so it stays at home in the garage.

I didn't have a plug in the front compartment, but I ran a extension cord from the plug above the sink, down the side of the sink between the shower and into the laundry chute to the basement.

What I use now is a portable ice maker. Same size, same weight. It works great, plus the beer/ soda/water bottles are much much colder. Not to mention it's much easier to keep the cooler out of sight and the sticky hands of teenagers who seek adult beverages in the middle of the night.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Had motorhome with standard, one door, small fridge. Placed a small fridge inside entry door where easychair was. Now in laundry room, DW figured the space was too small for washer/dryer anyway, and is for drinks, mostly beeeeeeer. (my spelling!)

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 PM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I installed 3.2 cube refer in our storage under tv which was to be factory fireplace area. Then ran 120 volt cord to truck bed Honda 2000 watt generator. It will power the refer more than 10 hours while travelling and don't hear it running.
carl is offline   Reply With Quote