Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2016, 06:43 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Someone's An Idiot

And that someone is me, I can't really blame the rv dealer.

When I picked up my 250rb they said it was ready to go, tires inflated to correct pressure with nitrogen and all that stuff. So when I got it home I checked the tire pressures and they were 35 pounds, same as my truck. Easy to remember.
Never looked at the tires, never read the label. I've since pulled it to Wood River, IL (260 miles) and Florida (over 2,000 miles). Before I left for Florida I looked the tires over and increased the pressure to 40 pounds because they looked kind of low to me.

So yesterday I'm cleaning some bird leavings off my trailer and I read the tire label. 50 pounds cold inflation.
Then I go read the tire sidewalls. 50 pounds. I wonder how much it cost me in gas mileage dragging these under inflated tires around? Luckily I didn't have a flat or anything related to the under inflation. I checked the tire temps when I'd stop and get gas and they never felt real hot.

One good thing came out of actually reading the tire sidewall, it says the tires are rated for 75 mph which surprised me. Not that I ever go that fast.

Feeling pretty stupid right now.
KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:59 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

When i bought mine i checked mine when i got home and they were at 40 psi looked at the side wall and it said 60 psi cold i guess someone at the dealer can't read a tire gauge...lol
ridgerunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:15 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

When I got home from the dealer with mine, I had 3-15" wheels and 1-14" wheel. Brand new. I missed it on my very detailed inspection. They came to my house and replaced the 14" wheel.

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel
2014 Zinger 27RL (Traded)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
markandkim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

The Pre-Delivery Checklist found in the Documents section doesn't specifically mention checking the tire pressure so that might be a good thing to add. See Section 10 of that checklist.

Our home base -- 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES -- The "Uno Mas!"
The mobile office -- 2016 Crossroads Hill Country HCT26RB -- The "Poquito Mas!"
Gone but not forgotten: 2015 Heartland Landmark 365 Key West (lost to Hurricane Harvey)
TxCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Idiot move #2. Stick around, I'm sure the list will grow.

Pulled the 250rb to Bethalto IL yesterday and set it up at the mobile home park. Working at the refinery again for a while. Wife had the day off so she went. Went through everything, went and bought groceries, got all the air out of the water lines, went through everything again.

Bought liquor, made drink. Scanned for channels, tv is ready. Filled up both refrigerators. Did another walk around, looked at everything, made sure all compartments were locked.
Everything's level, life is good.

After I got home I realized I forgot to turn off the water at the source. I always turn off the water when I leave the trailer in case a leak pops up while I'm gone, unless I'm only leaving to go to the store or something. When working I turn it off in the morning when I leave along with the water heater and turn them back on when I get home.
Well it's going to be on from around noon yesterday until I get back there about dark tonight. Hope nothing busts loose.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Family Vacation Member

By the way, the st250rb pulls like a dream with 50 pounds of air in the tires. Wife even noticed it and I was driving.

She says "this thing really pulls smooth when the tires are aired up"
Old 04-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #7
Site Team

Don't be so hard on yourself. The old saying is--Anybody that has never made a mistake, has never done much!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 10:12 AM   #8
Gone Traveling

Just don't be visiting while flushing the black tank, unless the valve is open, don't ask how I know!!! Talk about a crappy mistake!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Just don't be visiting while flushing the black tank, unless the valve is open, don't ask how I know!!! Talk about a crappy mistake!

I know another guy from TX. that happened to.
Old 04-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

You know what they say, "crap occurs"!
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 11:33 AM   #11
Site Team

Yup. All over his roof.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:53 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

I left the water on again when I got laid off and left it a few weeks ago. Luckily my neighbor at the campground works the same trade as I do and he's too far away from home to go home on weekends, and I have his phone number.
So I called him and he shut it off for me.

Got the word that no more work was coming up at the refinery for a while so since my rent was due I went and picked it up Tuesday and brought it home.

I managed to accomplish this without any stupid mistakes this time.

Except for the day I picked. I drove up there 135 miles in the rain, unhooked all the utilities in the rain, put the slide in in the rain, hooked up in the rain, drove home in the rain, and unhooked in the rain.

My wife was trying to hold an umbrella for me but it was a toss up which she'd do first, poke out my eye with it or scratch my truck. So I said "Honey I'm alright, there's no need you getting wet too, why don't you just sit in the truck while I finish up".