Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2009, 06:45 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

My wife and I are planning a 2 week trip to S.D. in 2010. Any and all help will be appreciated. Just a few questions to start out.
1. When is a good time to go- spring, summer or fall.
2. Any suggestions for campgrounds to stay at.
3. Campgrounds to avoid.
4. What all should be seen in the area other then Mt. Rushmore.
5. It's our 1st trip going West, perhaps there are places to see on theway there or on the way back from Pennsylvania.
6. How could I get brochures from the area. Who would I contact.
7. Any names of truck stops or places to stay for the night while traveling to and from.
Thanks Randy
bigbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

stop in Cedar Rapids IA, nice campgrounds and city

Stop at Cabela's, Mitchel, SD

Stay at the campground at Presho. nice place and nice people

Stop at Wall Drug, Stay at the campground in town, again nice people

skip the Rapid City KOA

Stop at the School of Mining

Go to Custer State Park

Go to Crazy Horse

swim in the hot springs.

Take a side trip through Spearfish Canyon, try some national forest campgrounds if you like to dry camp

Take a side trip to Devil's Tower.
w&cferb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

1. When you go to Mt. Rushmore be sure to stay for the light show after dark. Well worth

the extra time.

2. Wind Caves National Park is worth seeing. Allow at least 1/2 of a day. http://www.nps.gov/wica/index.htm

rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 12:07 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

If you are coming across on 90, stop in Austin, Mn and take a tour of the Hormel SPAM museum...we went there a couple of years ago and at that time the price was right....FREE! (check their web site) Even if you don't like SPAM (I can't imagine that) you will enjoy the tour. Even if you are not traveling on 90 you will at some point before you get to So. Dakota so come on up and get 'er done.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:01 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

We were just there a couple of weeks ago Aug 18th- 20th. Next time we go I'll plan more time as we didn't have nearly enough time to see everything we would have liked to. We stayed at the Rush-No-More Campgound about 7 miles out side of Sturgis. Very nice, clean & quiet CG. It is just off the freeway (like 1/2 mile) but is very secluded and quiet. We were able to spot deer on our way into the campground every night. The only thing I didn'tlike about the CG is the spots are small and really close together. The CG was less than 1/4 full and they had us spread out so it wasn't an issue. We were a bit farther away from the Rushmore area than I thought we were going to be, next time I think I will look for a place closer to the Rushmore/Crazy Horse area as we were heading in that direction almost every day anyway. In addition to Mt Rushmore and Crazy Horse we saw Deadwood, Bear World, Reptile Gardens and took the scenic route up Spearfish Canyon into spearfish one day on a grocery run. The CG website http://www.rushnomore.com/rushnomoreseniors.phphas a long list of attractions in the area, and also has itineraries for day trips to help you plan. This was our first trip there and I was blown away with the amount of things to do and see. We'll be going back for sure!

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 12:03 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

_popupControl();

Check out the Campground forum you'll find some more information there.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:30 AM   #7
New Camper

We stayed in Custer State Park - loved it. Beautiful place!

They don't have hook ups. We used our Honda 2000 for occasional power needs. The weather was delightful at that altitude and never needed a/c.

Whether you stay at Custer or not - the Bison tour is worth checking out.

ijuba75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I will check out all your suggestions. I found out that some tourist areas don't open till mid May, we decided to wait until the first 2 weeks of August. Keep those suggestion coming. Thanks Randy
Old 09-02-2009, 03:33 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

If you're planning on the first of August make sure you miss the Sturgis bike rally. Thousands ofbikers invade the whole area. It gets very crowded and noisy.

https://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...rawberry-1.jpg
rock1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:21 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks Rock, I don't mind bikers but we sure want a pleasant trip. Guess we will move to July or September. I'm sure you would see alot of sites. lol
Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 AM   #11
New Camper

Best time for SD is Summer, July and August are the best in my opinion. I would also suggest getting a copy of the Trailer Life Directory. Keep in mind that Bike Week is in August, last year it was the 9th thru 15th, I believe. Unless you are a biker this is not the place to be! Being from the area, most of the campgrounds are very nice. If you are retired military, Ellsworth AFB has an excellent RV park. Rush-no-more park is also great, it is a Coast to Coast Park, if you have that membership. I am sure they are affiliated with other memberships as well. My favorite is Hart Ranch. This park is possibly the best park in the Black Hills. Again it is a Coast to Coast Park, but also has other membership connections. It is also close to Custer Park and not to far from Rapid City. There are many parks in the town of Custer, Hill City and etc. It is a matter of whether you like to go through somewhat narrowmountain roads to get you rig to them (watch out for Deer and Buffalo!). The state parks are nice but generally don't have Full Hook-ups. Most I have seen only have water and dump station. This area has so much to offer that it can take weeks to see everything. And as with anything, there is a price to see them. If you are planning to go to Custer Park more than once. Get a season pass, last year it was $28.00. That is also good for accesstostate campgrounds. You still have to pay the daily rate. This will come in handy if you visit Pierre SD, since they only have state parks there. There are no Private Parks in that area! Pierre is a great place to visit and will only take you a days drive. You can most everything in a couple of days. Most of the parks are close to the Missouri River. Which makes it a very pleasent stay in deed! Hope this helps, and enjoy your trip. Ithas Great Places and Great Faces!
akasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

<a href="http://www.cornpalace.com/index.php" target="_blank">

Corn Palace in Mitchell SD. Amazing what murals can be created with grain!

http://www.cornpalace.com/index.php

</A>

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:06 AM   #13
Weekend Camper

If possible check out Devils Tower in Wy. Its a days trip to get there and back but well worth the time (I Think) Dont take camper. Also do not go to SD around the 4th of July as it is busy, busy, busy. If you happen to travel on I 80 thru Neb. stop by the overpass thats in Kearney (??? ) as its history about the West movement.
Robbie Ribbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

Thank you all for the information. Keep passing the information this way. Randy

Had the CR30BH, now another unit

2010 F350 Dually
Old 02-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Ribbins
If possible check out Devils Tower in Wy. Its a days trip to get there and back but well worth the time (I Think) Dont take camper.

Absolutely! We were staying in Spearfish SD and almost didn't go to Devils Tower. I am so glad we did. We got up early and were there at about 9:00am if I remember correctly. We were able to see it and tour the grounds and were back in Spearfish by about 6:00pm. I suggest taking a lunch because there is not much there. On the way back we stopped in Aladin (probably spelled wrong) and saw a very cool general store. It was suggested to us by the CG owners. It had a ton of antique items (junk but cool junk). The kids really enjoyed it and it was a chance to show them some real "Americana" like an operators switchboard, hand crank phones, and a huge potbelly stove.

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote

« sling shot | smell »