Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2010, 06:39 AM   #1
Full Time Camper

Has anyone taken their bumper mount spare tire holder and mounted them under the camper. I have been thinking of mounting a steel 4x4 box beam between my frame railes and mounting my tire carriers horizontally off the frame. Just behind my tires to the rear of my camper. Any thoughts.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Mine is under the front of the camper.Rides good there.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:16 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I was thinking about the front but to me if the tire gets loose it has to travel the whole lenght of the camper. I was also wondering if the bumper brackets would be as strong as the cable system for under mounts.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Mine is still under the front end which is fine...in good weather. I imagine that a lot of us here have had the unpleasant chore of trying tolower a spare tire from cars/trucks in the middle of winter when they're covered in slush, road salt, and sand. "Someday" I'd like to mount mine on the rear fender, with a cover. But, that's just me.
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:03 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

mine is in the stow and go compartment for a while it was under the bed
Greg Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwit
I was thinking about the front but to me if the tire gets loose it has to travel the whole lenght of the camper. I was also wondering if the bumper brackets would be as strong as the cable system for under mounts.
Mines under the front of the trailer and I had great concern about it getting loose and taking the underside of the trailer out. I took a long piece of chain and went across the tire to support it if the cable system were to fail. Also enabled me to put a lock on it for what its worth.

The cable system is OK and probably will do fine. I can't see why the bumper bracket would not be as least as good maybe better if welded to a good support.
pulpwood007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:32 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

I had mine under the front of the trailer when I first got it. Ialso didnt trust it being there and also thought that when I get a flat it will be in the rain and Id have to crawl under it to get it. So I removed the tire and carrier and bought a bumper mount for mine and a cover. It rides good on the back bumper and it is easy to check the pressure too before I leave on a trip.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:10 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

I have the boxbeam in place just have to weld it up. Then make up my mind if I want to move them off my bumper or not. I built a platform off the back something like Spenilla's. I want to use the platform for a reardeck for setting and hauling my generator for boondocking.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:21 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

Our new 30SK had the spare tire under the front and I felt it was not a good place so I had the dealer put a bumper mount on and I feel much better about it there. I could envision all kinds of problems getting there spare tire out from under the front on a busy highway, muddy road or in bad weather. It isn't as clean looking with it on the back but it works.

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 05:30 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Well I did it today I took my spares off the back and mounted them underneath behind my rear axle. I may be sorry but I sure made the wife happy.