Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2011, 10:48 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

New Dometic double door fridge, in new 5er only cools to about 50 degrees IAW thermometer, items seem to keep ok, and freezer freezes, but should be, would like it to be colder. Didn't have the users manual, DW found one online, and seems to be a bit colder than at first, but ...
Anyone?? Thanks.

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

May depend on how long you've had it on. Could take a while to get the refrig coolered all the way down. I think 50 is to high and would want at least 40. You should take it back to the dealer is it dosen't come down more or try installing a fan in the back to help move the heat out the roof vent. I have one of the Camping world refrig thermometer for the frig and last weekend I checked and mine was around 35.

2009 Cruiser 29RK
FB1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Ruck,

Have you adjusted the temp setting in the fridge? How long have you waited to check the temp? Mine will cool down quicly in the freezer but take several hours more to get the refrig section to cool down. Also, are you plugged in to power which accelerates the cooling or using your propane gas function? Propane takes much longer to cool. I start my refrig at least 1 day prior to leaving to ensure it's down to proper temp's. If the freezer is working properly, I suspect the refrig is too, just be patient in allowing it to cool down slowly.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

The fridge in our Seville takes a bit to cool down as well. I generally give it at least 24 hours or longer since this is the first one we've had with the double-door refridgerator. With the cooling set on 7, it runs about 33° in the fridge, 10° in the freezer depending on the outside air temp so we generally start on 7, then may drop back to 6. There is a temperature controlled fan attached to the coils that helps the evaporator work and should cycle as needed.

Our fridge is a Norcold and in the owners/service manual, there is a key sequence that puts the door display into diagnostic mode. I use that to see what the ambient and fin temps are in both the freezer and refrigerator sections. I suspect the Dometic has the same.

Keep in mind that the cooling setting on the bigger Dometic and Norcold units has to be set higher than on the smaller single door units. I wish all these units came with factory installed external temperature readouts. It would make keeping an eye on them so much easier.

Hopefully yours is just a setting issue and not a problem. You indicated that the fridge section only came down to 50°. If you set the cooling level lower, does it come down more? Also, do you hear a fan (outside) come on intermittently (depending on whether the Rushmore has the fan but I believe it is installed on the refrigerator cooling fins)? Does your freezer have fan in it as well that comes on when the fin temp gets low enough? The Norcold freezer fan will come on at about 11° fin temp.

38° - 42° is supposed to be the safest temp for the refrigerator. We had a problem on our first trip out with the Seville when the control board went haywire. I had to put all the stuff in the fridge on ice for a couple of days till we figured out how to bypass the problem. Then Randy and the Norcold tech support guys figured out how to temporary bypass the problem and then fixed it when we got back.

Enjoy the Rushmore, those looked really nice when we toured the factory prior to the announcement.

Edited by: WoodcarvingGypsy
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

We also have the new Dometic refrigerator. It runs on electric or gas and has an automatic setting where it will choose electric if it is available or switch to gas if electric is not available. The confusing thing was the temperature control. At first I didn't think it even had one as there was nothing like a dial with numbers on it or something similar. I read through the owners manual and found that the control is on the right side of the fins inside the refrigerator. It is a flat clip like device mounted on one of the fins. If you slide it upward it will make the refrigerator colder.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 01:52 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

What are the models of the Dometics you are having problems with. I'd like to have a look at the manuals to see if I see something that compares to the Norcold controls.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote