Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: New tires for Rv.. ST tire or LT tire
ST tire 7 35.00%
LT tire 13 65.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-24-2016, 11:14 AM   #1
Site Team

St tires or lt tires for you rv

When it's time to replace your Rv tires, what tire would you purchase? A ST (Special Trailer) tire or a LT (Light Truck) tire??

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Site Team

I went with the LT, Mark
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I've seen lots of "debates" (fights) on other forums about this. I've read enough posts from both sides to be mostly convinced that LT tires are generally beefier than their ST counterparts. On the other hand, a lot of people have posted that they've been turned away by tire stores who won't install LT tires on a trailer.

An interesting argument that I've read many times is (cover your eyes if you work for Crossroads, but I mean no offense) the trailer builders typically use the least expensive components they possibly can and they stock ST tires on their new trailers, so the logical conclusion is to do the opposite and buy LT tires when it's time to replace yours.

In the end though, the threads that I've read eventually decline into religious wars like the dodge/ford/chevy threads.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #4
Site Team

It's always a "popcorn" subject. So sitback, and enjoy.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:59 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
It's always a "popcorn" subject. So sitback, and enjoy.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:21 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I didn't even wait til I 'needed' new tires, I switched to LTs in less than 12 months and 7 of those months we were full-time in the trailer. Didn't hesitate to throw away perfectly good ST tires, but then that may be a contradiction anyway.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:29 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
On the other hand, a lot of people have posted that they've been turned away by tire stores who won't install LT tires on a trailer.
Some brands actually specify LT tires on the sticker placed on the trailer. In my survey about 1/3 of the trailers and mostly newer, heavier, more expensive units. But I understand the liability to the tire store of installing a lower capacity tire w/o comparing the tire capacity vs. the axle capacity.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
EJL
Weekend Camper

I have 16" Sendel TO2 rims with LT tires. I doubt I need them, but I am glad I have them. I always changed ST tires by age (5yrs) rather than miles, and never had a problem. I worry less with the new set up, so it's worth the initial expense
Old 03-24-2016, 03:17 PM   #9
Site Team

I've been planning to go to 16" wheels and LT tires on mine.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 04:55 PM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
I've seen lots of "debates" (fights) on other forums about this. I've read enough posts from both sides to be mostly convinced that LT tires are generally beefier than their ST counterparts. On the other hand, a lot of people have posted that they've been turned away by tire stores who won't install LT tires on a trailer.

An interesting argument that I've read many times is (cover your eyes if you work for Crossroads, but I mean no offense) the trailer builders typically use the least expensive components they possibly can and they stock ST tires on their new trailers, so the logical conclusion is to do the opposite and buy LT tires when it's time to replace yours.

In the end though, the threads that I've read eventually decline into religious wars like the dodge/ford/chevy threads.
Come on man get it right Ford/chevy/dodge......
Old 03-25-2016, 06:26 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

The two problems I see with ST tires are

a. That most of them are only rated 65 mph, (Fine if you're absolutely sure you will never go faster, I guess)

b. That for cost savings, manufacturers use tires (and axles) barely rated for the trailer weight.

You can't entirely blame them, since fancy cabinet doors and hardware sells more units than beefy tires and axles, but there is little room for error in speed, weight, potholes, etc.

I always upgrade a new unit's tires before I tow it home. That generally means new wheels too. I prefer LT tires for the higher speed limit and because I think the general safety margin is higher than ST tires since LT tires are designed to protect lives in an occupied vehicle as opposed to just hauling stuff. And I still add some overkill on the weight range even though I believe truck tires have a larger margin over the rated capacity.

That being said, I've had good luck in the past with 125 psi Goodyear ST's because of their huge capacity but don't need that with my current smaller unit.

The bottom line to me is its just not worth the worry/hassle/danger of skimping on tires, whatever kind you decide on.
stormseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 08:43 AM   #12
Full Time Camper

I'm still up in the air. Sailun makes both. An any position LT that is good for trailers and A trailer specific. both are S637 just one ends in T
Both would work really well and both have a speed rating above 65. I guess its whichever one I can get my hands on.

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 10:01 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw3jason View Post
I'm still up in the air. Sailun makes both. An any position LT that is good for trailers and A trailer specific. both are S637 just one ends in T
Both would work really well and both have a speed rating above 65. I guess its whichever one I can get my hands on.
Probably won't matter too much if you stay under 65 mph but I would strongly recommend a tire with a heavier rating than the just enough to equal the total weight of the trailer, fluids and stuff (max vehicle weight).

I didn't know any vehicle tires were rated for only 65 mph. I do know that when trailer tires say that, they aren't kidding. Don't ask me how I know.

Be sure to brand check online for blowout complaints of course.
stormseeker is offline   Reply With Quote