Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2021, 04:27 PM   #1
New Camper

Sticky Gummy Roof

I wanted to do some maintenance on the roof, but when I got up there I found that it was really sticky and gummy. The actual roof was sticking and coming off on my shoes and clothes. This can't be normal. Has anyone else had this problem. I know the Texas heat can be brutal, but melt the roof??
6pence00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:38 PM   #2
Site Team

I don't know what you have for a trailer, or how old it is. Could it just be the chalking ?
Which is normal, but I've never seen as extreme as you say.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 02:08 PM   #3
Site Team

First, list your year and model of your rv in your signature.
I would call Dicor and ask them for help.

Contact Info
Dicor Products
2965 LaVanture Pl.
Elkhart, IN 46514

Toll Free: 800.837.2059

They can advise you what to do.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
New Camper

Sorry that I haven't responded, It's been crazy here lately. I have a 2015 Crossroads Elevation that I love and has been a great trailer.

When I get on the roof. It's like the top layer of the roof is mushy and moves when your on it. It will stick to your clothes and come off on your clothes. I had to use lighter fluid to remove it from my clothes and just threw the shoes away. I had a RV repair guy out to work on the A/C and he said he thought it was normal and had seen it happen to other roofs. It does not leak, but does concern me.
6pence00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 06:37 PM   #5
Seasonal Camper

Has someone treated that roof with something thinking it'll be good for it and extend the life of the roof. I'd be afraid of leaving anything on those rubber roofs. I'd say if your washing it, and even using a tiny amount of dawn dish detergent to clean your roof make extra sure you wash and rinse enough to remove all residue. personally I just use the pressure washer and only water, no detergent. Had Aphid Honeydue after the seasonal and that was the only thing that would remove that black sh*t, but was informed by a buddy by a few tips and wash the side as you go along cause those white waterstreaks also become a bear to remove. .
Old 11-04-2021, 05:57 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

My 2015 Cruiser 322RL roof has done the same. I called Dicor and they sent me the roofing material and installation kit which consisted of adhesive, caulking, and butyl tape. Because it is 6 years old, they will not cover labor. Mine is in the shop now getting a new roof put on. I have kept ine under a carport cover since I bought it new.
Old 11-04-2021, 06:56 PM   #7
New Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6pence00 View Post
I wanted to do some maintenance on the roof, but when I got up there I found that it was really sticky and gummy. The actual roof was sticking and coming off on my shoes and clothes. This can't be normal. Has anyone else had this problem. I know the Texas heat can be brutal, but melt the roof??
Here's a thread from earlier this year, talking about the same problem.
Best of Luck with your roof.

https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...tml#post148944
Tow Vehicle is a 2019 RAM 2500HD Longhorn (diesel)
Diver_John_812 is offline   Reply With Quote