Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2016, 09:18 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

stiff holding tank valves

I have a 2011 crossroads cruiser, 27' fithwheel. The valves for grey and black water are cable type. the 2 grey water valves are stiff, but not to bad, but the black water valve is so stiff, it takes a serious effort to open and close and i'm afraid it is just a matter of time before something breaks. Is it normal for valves to get stiff over time ? Anything to be done to improve function? valves are remote, under (or above) the silk screen, so difficult to access. Any one have the same problem ?
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtx View Post
I have a 2011 crossroads cruiser, 27' fithwheel. The valves for grey and black water are cable type. the 2 grey water valves are stiff, but not to bad, but the black water valve is so stiff, it takes a serious effort to open and close and i'm afraid it is just a matter of time before something breaks. Is it normal for valves to get stiff over time ? Anything to be done to improve function? valves are remote, under (or above) the silk screen, so difficult to access. Any one have the same problem ?
I've had good results this lube.
TST Drain Valve Lube - 16 oz. - Camco 40246E - Sewer Cleaners - Camping World
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 09:33 AM   #3
Weekend Camper

sure will try it, thanx. any frost on pumpkin in forney this am ? a little here in pflugerville.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:40 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
sure will try it, thanx. any frost on pumpkin in forney this am ? a little here in pflugerville.
I'm in Dallas this morning and slept in so if there was any it was gone by the time I got up. We have two homes and alternate. We'll be heading back to FL after the holidays for the rest of the winter.
2009 F-150XLT
Russb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
Gone Traveling

A 1/4+/- cup of cooking oil occasionally after dumping also helps mine.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:39 PM   #6
Site Team

If you can drop the bottom cover, look for a kink or too sharp a turn in the cable.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 07:44 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

We had the same issue on our Rushmore. I had DW try to open the black tank, and when she couldn't do so, I decided it was time to do something. I replaced it with an electric valve....Valterra EZ Valve.

After removing the old valve, I found the issue was strictly with the cable. After removing the cable, the valve was easily operated. I had used veggie oil trying to lub the valve (I suppose that worked).

I notice now the galley tank valve is getting very stiff. Thinking I might rig up a funnel with a hose, remove the valve handle, and pour some type lube in the cable. Would prefer not to use a petro lube though.

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Back in the dirt bike days I used to have have a cable lube setup !

Dooh - a googley search :
https://www.google.com/search?q=moto...utf-8&oe=utf-8
Old 12-10-2016, 09:26 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

thanx or all your help. order some camco lube (before i noticed it was coco oil). next time out, i will try the camco and cooking oil for other two grey water tanks. when new in 2011, all were mildly stiff, but have gotten worse over time. spent the summer in he ruidoso and used black water valve about once a week. got to where i could barely open or close. have tried lubing cable, didn't help a bit. i could also bite the bullet and cut silk screen, access valves and change. wish valves were on side and not in middle of rv.
Old 12-10-2016, 10:21 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
thanx or all your help. order some camco lube (before i noticed it was coco oil). next time out, i will try the camco and cooking oil for other two grey water tanks. when new in 2011, all were mildly stiff, but have gotten worse over time. spent the summer in he ruidoso and used black water valve about once a week. got to where i could barely open or close. have tried lubing cable, didn't help a bit. i could also bite the bullet and cut silk screen, access valves and change. wish valves were on side and not in middle of rv.

Hope your valve is easier to change than ours!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 Chevy 3500HD
2012 Rushmore 38CK
2slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:25 PM   #11
Full Time Camper

Had the issue on my Rushmore on the black tank cable. Spray lube helped in the early stages. If finally broke. Why Crossroads uses a braided cable on the black tank is beyond me. They use solid cable on the two grey tanks. I had to drop the belly pan, and replaced with a solid cable. Works really sweet now. Push & pull with two fingers now.
Ruby & Jade. English Springer Spaniels
Ramn4ver is offline   Reply With Quote