Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2009, 07:07 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

It's been months and I still have not had any answer as to whether or not my rig is going to get fixed. I called my dealer shortly after our Thanksgiving (US Columbus day) and spoke with Randy at CR before Christmas. My dealer says he is waiting to hear from Lippert. I only call the dealership once a week and he rarely returns my calls. I want this thing fixed. I'm burning through tires like crazy. Here are some of the pictures I sent to my dealer who says he forwarded them to Lippert.

This is a picture of the original right rear

tire that came as original equipment with our Cruiser. This tire was

replaced under warranty by Oshawa RV in May of 2007 after approximately

2500 miles of use . At the time I was told the problem was not an axle

alignment issue but a tire issue. I was skeptical but agreed to having

the new tire put on knowing that the problem was documented if the tire

wear issue continued.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...rightrear2.jpg

This is a picture of the new right rear tire that was

replace under warranty after another 2500 miles. I had this tire

replaced in October of 2008 while on vacation in Maine at my own expense

for fear of having a tire failure while returning home. The new tire I

purchased in Maine has only made the trip from Maine to Ontario and is

already feathering and beginning to wear.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...rightrear1.jpg

This is a picture of the right front tire. This tire was one of the original tires and would have about 5000 miles

on it. It was changed in Maine as well and is also feathering after the

trip home.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/ehj70-2/camper/rightfront2.jpg

These are pictures of the original tires on the

left side of the trailer. These are the tires that came on the unit

when I bought it and are still on it today wearing normally.
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s7/ehj70-2/camper/leftfront.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/leftrear.jpg

Every time I talk to my dealer he makes it sound like I'm making a big deal out of nothing. I think this is a serious problem. I already canceled a trip south because of this issue. I want it fixed before spring.

Edited by: whereRwe
whereRwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:38 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78

Here is my take (based on your information)

I think your dealer is to blame. I would contact Randy directly at Crossroads, he works early so call early. You can forward your pictures to him and see what occur's, perhaps he can suggest a independent RV repair center that can repair your trailer. It appears you need a new axle, it is 1.5 hrs per axle and can be done in less then one day. Lippert should drop ship the axles to the repair center and pre-approve the labor charges.

I'm not sure where the hold up is, but I don't think it's Crossroads as they always seem eager to help.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #3
ted
Weekend Camper

Hi wereRwe ill be picking up my new 2008 CF32BL on Saturday at 1 PM ill ask him and show him the photos. ill be pulling it with my 2008 F350 Lariat to so we both might find out something. my dealer is campers inn in Raynham ma. but they have to dealers in NH also. they have worked on my toy hauler and I'm very happy with the service with them.

Stoughton Mass
ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:31 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

I was at the somewhat poorly attended RV show in Milwaukee several weeks back. Recommended this site to a couple deliberating over a Cruiser. I'd hate to have them see this and I would assume Crossroads would not as well. Make sure Randy is aware and send the bill for the tires to your dealer telling him it didn't really happen ...but they should pay anyway. Perhaps a warning on several sites about the dealer on several sites would get some response.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted
Hi wereRwe ill be picking up my new 2008 CF32BL on Saturday at 1 PM ill ask him and show him the photos. ill be pulling it with my 2008 F350 Lariat to so we both might find out something. my dealer is campers inn in Raynham ma. but they have to dealers in NH also. they have worked on my toy hauler and I'm very happy with the service with them.

Have fun with the pickup, ted. The weather in southern Maine looks nice on Saturday - hope it's the same for Mass.

When towing home be very careful of the larger frost heaves, they can wreak havoc with any camper.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

whererwe, <?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" />

You definitely have an alignment problem or possibly a bent spindle on the RR axle. The wear pattern shows a possible toe in (if wearing on the outside of tire)or a toe out problem(iftire wearis on inside of tire)My best guess would be something is bent due to the left side tiresare wearing normal. Does the tire looked cocked to one side or leaning in or out?

I can’t see anyone in "the know" trying totell youthe type of tire wear here is due to a bad tire. You have a safety problem you are aware of and the dealer needs to assess this hopefully X roads is reading and contacting the dealer to make get this handled. If a tire blows and tears up your trailer or comes loose and causes anotherdriver to t/c I can only imagine the suits.

One warning: if you say, backed upor hit something causing the bent axle / spindle or misalignment,the repairwould not be under warranty - x roads is a good customer based company and I am sure they will make good with you.

From your last experience and recommendation to replace the "bad tire" I would maybe shop around and have an alignment company take a look at this or make the dealer / technician aware of the same condition as before.

just my thoughts here - hope it helps for some direction

Brian

1999 Ford Superduty F350 SRW short bed manual trans. Superglide auto slider (18K)

2009 Cruiser 5th 31QB
5mcgehees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #7
Seasonal Camper

totally agree with brian, alignment would wear on both tires bent spindle or axle is where i would be looking find a good alignment shop to measure both sides if you dont get some response from crossroads

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:04 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I have had this problem since my trailer was new. Lippert replaced the back axle once already. Now the tire is worn again. Same as yours. The front tire on the right appears to be separating and I'm still waiting to hear from my dealer exactly what the fix is going to be. I have some temporary tires on there to make my trip this weekend.

CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

Eric - looks to me like the 2nd photo has a tire that is out of round? Ether slipped belts or poor workmanship? There is definately a lippert compnent issue with the continued wear.

I would CONFERENCE Randy, Lippert rep anddealeron the same call, detail your time line and lost trip time, and force a decision and very short time frame on final resolution!!!

I switched to Maxxis tires last year, laod range G (80 PSI), no problems since then. let us know what happens.

Ft. Worth, Tx

2003 F250 6.0 PSD

2006 Cruiser 30QB

[img]https://www.s158.photobucket.com/albums/t105/Luskey5/?action=viewt=IMG021.jpg/camper/jpg [img]
Luskey5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

OK lets start with some basics here:

-What is your tire pressure?

-Do the tires look out of alignment with the frame, or is the rear axle out of aligmnment with the front axle?

-Have you checked the brakes? any smoke when braking?

-Have you had the axle weights checked,when loaded?

-Isyour pin box set upwith your truck height sothe trailer is level when pulling (whererwe avatar picture looks good)?

-Do younotice any pulling or side to sidemovement when towing?

I cant believe the tire wear you have and not having any weird characteristicsorproblems while towing. Something goofy is going on here and were going to get to the bottom of this and make millions.

Brian

1999 Ford Superduty F350 SRW short bed manual trans. Superglide auto slider (18K)

2009 Cruiser 5th 31QB
Old 03-11-2009, 11:17 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I would think if the problem was weight related the tires on the slide side would be wearing first...I assume that's the heavier side.
I put a different brand of tire on when I replaced the worn ones when I was in ME. Those tires have gone from Saco/Old orchard beach to Iroquois Ontario and are already feathering.
Brakes are fine, Tire pressures are checked every time the trailer moves.
I did finally get a returned phone call from my dealer who says he finally received a call from Lippert. They wanted to know which tire was wearing on the inside and which was wearing on the outside. It seams Lippert calls every few weeks with another question trying to drag this on as long as thy can.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:47 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

Hi whereRwe - see my post in the Cruiser section of this forum. Both axles on my 2009 were replaced very quickly by Lippert and Crossroads. I am unsure why your situation is taking so long to resolve.

Good luck my friend! PS - I was down in Old Orchard Beach this past weekend for some ice cream, it was COLD!
Old 03-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

Lippert is the issue here. When I had the shock mounts fall off, it was Lippert that took their time in addressing the issue. Crossroads came up with replacement parts for the exterior damage that was caused by the shock taking out a tire. At the same time I had an issue with the welds on the kingpin mount that I had to concede because nothing obvious could be found defective with the welds.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:03 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

WhereRwe,

Read mwebber78 it sounds like you may have the same problem. In regards to weight I was thinking that you may have more weight on the front or rear axle causing a problem not necessarily leftto right.

Brian

2009 Cruiser 5th 31QB
Old 03-15-2009, 10:46 PM   #15
Weekend Camper

Lippert is definitely the problem.
The hold up, I think, is because my trailer is out of warranty. However, The problem was brought to the dealers attention while the trailer was under warranty and the decision was made to just replace the worn tire.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #16
Weekend Camper

If it was a problem and noted prior to the warranty expiring Im sure they will make good with you.

Brian

2009 Cruiser 5th 31QB
Old 04-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #17
Weekend Camper

I'm finally getting new axles! I dropped my trailer off at the dealership Wednesday.

Old 04-24-2009, 12:26 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Well, I still have not heard anything from Lippert or Crossroads. I had another tire failure last Friday night that sent shrapnel into the other two tires on that side ruining them. I called Crossroads who punted to Lippert and I then called Lippert. I have been leaving messages all week for Pamela at Lippert with no return phone calls.

CrazyTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:18 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

I think crossroads should be covering the problems and they should be fighting lippert not the public. In my opinion crossroads sold the camper not lippert. I still cannot believe they cannot tell lippert this is your problem so they pawn it off on the camper owner.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:30 AM   #20
Full Time Camper

Well I'm on a rant about this problem, is this like the manufacture of your truck saying the frame problem is not mine but the person who made the frame,go to them. I believe lippert made the frame but crossroads bought the frame to make the camper so they are the manufacture of the final unit. I guess I better get off my high horse before I get to deep.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote