Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2010, 01:03 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Has anyone had a problem with the hot water getting real stinky? We've drained it and flushed it out but then in about two or three days it begins to start to smell again and if we leave it for a few days its really bad. Its getting to be quite annoying.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

You need to sanitize the water system with bleach followed by vinegar. A few years ago I had a similiar problem when I filled the fresh water tank and HW heater with well water at my house. Minerals and gases that are trapped in the water due to high pressure at the bottom of the well, when pumped directly to the RV tank and then heated in the HW tank caused a slimy white growth plus smell. When I added an above ground storage tank, outgassing could occur since the water was no longer under pressure for a few days. Now I can fill the RV tanks from the above ground tank w/o problems.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I'm pretty sure our campground is also on a well and we have stinky water a couple of times each season, so bad that there is no way I could even wet my toothbrush under the tap, lol. Â*We use the bleach a couple of times each summer and it seems to get rid of the stinky egg/sulphur type smell. Â*Even our dog insists on bottled water when the water gets smelly haha
albianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Are you set up on a seasonal site using their water supply or are you filling your fresh water tank? If you are filling your fresh water tank then you will need to drain it also and do as Larry suggests. I had this same problem so I started draining and sanitizing after each tank. I also add a few tablespoons of bleach each time I fill the tank just to keep those unseen little critters from growning. Just like the water company does if you are on city water.

If you are on a seasonal site using their water thru the city water hookup, I would mention something to the owner of the property and try to figure out a way to treat it as it enters your camper.
https://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l1...04/TheRig3.jpg
scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:55 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Water left in your water heater will go bad and smell like rotten eggs. You need to flush the water tank several times use bleach if necessaryto get rid of the smell. Drain the water heater every time you will not be using it for alittle while. I took out the drain plug and rigged up a hose(like a sink supply hose) with a valve on the end and completely drain my water heater along with my plumbing (low point drains) every time I leave the campground. Haven't had bad water a second time.

Flyone
Flyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:18 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have found that it's best for us to drain the HW after each outing. Otherwise we'll have the stinky water for a tank or two. My assumption was the well water at most CG being well water and the minerals and stuff aging. Haven't had the issue since regular draining.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:55 AM   #7
Family Vacation Member

If you're using power to heat the hot water tank you will most certainly get stinky water. Something to do with the water and the heating element and a chemical reaction. Will not hurt you just smells bad.Best thing to do is pull the drain plug and flush it out. Same as others here when not being used for lenghty periods drain the water and leave the plug out. I always do this when not using the trailer for a while and never get smelly water and I always use electricty (when available) to heat the water.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 07:51 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

We are in a Trailer/RV park so the water is used year around.Weare there 3 or 4 days and home for 3 or 4days. We was leaving the hot water heater on electric all the time, but we started turning it off while we are gone and back on when we get back and the smelly water has stopped even though the same water is still in the tank when we get back so it evidently has something to do with the heating element and maybe a combination of that and the chemicals in the water,

Thanks for all the advice, this is a great forum.
mosledder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

Try using a water filter when you fill your tank and when hooked up to city water. A friend of mine had the same problem, hot water smelled like rotten eggs,even though he routinely sanitized his tanks. Bought him a filter to use, smell went away.
Kevin from K is offline   Reply With Quote