Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-04-2020, 06:04 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Stopping Mice - How small a hole can a mouse pass through

How small a hole can a mouse pass through. Matthias Wandel finds out.
He builds lots of amazing tools on his web site but in this video he finds out how small a hole must you plug to keep mices out.

Just for fun.
Dustin

Dustin and Doris

2018 Crossroads, Sunset Trail 33CK,
38', 7600 lbs empty, 8300 lbs loaded.
2016 Tundra: 5.7L with towing package with added "Roadmaster Active Suspension"
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Wow, interesting, 11/16'' give or take a hair. I would have thought even smaller than that, but that's only one mouse, they have youngsters that like peanut butter with smaller frames that can fend for themselves to. lol.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

I plug anything larger than 1/2".

2016 CF305RS
MeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 02:31 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

I understand that mice do not like Irish Spring soap, must be the original.

If this is the case it would be a cost effective, relatively safe method of at least NOT having an environment that the mice like.

My BinL lives in a forrest area in BC and uses this in all his buildings and claims that he has no mice inside.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 05:19 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

We were told the same thing about Irish Spring soap. When we opened up this spring, we found that they had chewed on the soap!! Best thing that we found found is peppermint oil!
Old 11-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

There was an old saying that if a a mouse can get his nose in the hole the rest will follow. They can get into some pretty tight spots so I just try to plug any hole on the outside of the trailer and use Downy sheets spread around the inside and set out a few traps. Have only had one mouse in the last three years.
Old 11-08-2020, 06:22 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I started using peppermint extract. Earlier this year we found evidence of mouse in our 5th wheel. Was able to get the mouse via mouse trap. I did a little research and found out mice do not like peppermint.

When I park our 5th wheel in our barn on a concrete floor I still put a thin piece of plywood under each tire and front jacks. I soak the entire perimeter of each piece of wood with the peppermint extract. Now if a mouse wants to gain access to the trailer it must cross over a line of peppermint. Another approach could be soaking a piece of string or small rope in the peppermint extract and laying the string around each access point. So far the peppermint has worked.

Of course plugging all holes is a very good approach as well but sometimes hard to due with all the plumbing and wiring going through the floor and walls.
43tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:03 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

''Ether''. Never have to worry. I weekly spray a wrag in the front see through compartment, also another wrag in the shore power cord compartment, and also into a can right inside the trailer entrance door. Been doing this for years and got the tip from my best friend who got a mouse in his new $600,000 tractor and never had a mouse in his old one, till it dawned on him it had to be the ether can that always was thrown under the seat of his older CaseIH. I buy a half dozen cans when on sale in the fall and have never had a mouse. Ask any farmer with an older tractor that carries a can of either under the seat if he's ever had a mouse in the cab! Come spring open a few windows and the door for 2 hours and ether smell is gone. Truth be said just having the cans in the trailer might be enough as there famous for leaking but I don't take the chance for the $20 per year. Cheap mouse control and worry free..
Old 11-09-2020, 03:44 PM   #9
Seasonal Camper

there is another thread on here where I posted videos debunking the "irish spring" and other myths you've heard. I believe there is one on peppermint oil as well.
https://www.crossroadsowners.com/for...t-14361-2.html
just dug it up..
Old 11-12-2020, 07:50 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

There are some YouTube videos out there that show how mice react to dryer sheets, Irish Spring soap, and peppermint oil. It is interesting but shows that the dryer sheets and soap have absolutely no effect on the mice but the peppermint oil definitely does repel them. I spent a few hours under our rig when it was new and I sealed up every access point in the coroplast with black silicone, over three tubes. Especially around plumbing, axle spring brackets, bumper brackets, and across the entire front where the front cap wraps under. When storing the camper I soak some cotton balls with peppermint oil and put them in plastic bathroom cups throughout the camper and also mix a solution of peppermint oil and spray the underbelly of our camper. This has worked flawlessly for me on our last two campers. It was a lot of time initially spent but time well spent.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 08:26 AM   #11
Gone Traveling

Pick up a couple boxes of Fresh Cab, maybe called Cab Fresh, & place the packets under cabinets, in drawers, all around the inside & storage compartments. This stuff looks like the potpourri pouches & smells good while also a great mouse/critter deterrent.
Also spread Ramick Green pellets around/underneath the rv in storage, this is also a great deterrent.
DO NOT ever use moth balls, that awful smell will keep every critter & every person away for months.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 02:43 PM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Sounds like a moth ball real life experience

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote