Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-21-2014, 05:56 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Storm damage repair question

The good news is, my Cruiser isn't damaged badly. The bad news is, my Cruiser isn't damaged badly. We had a line of severe storms move through last night and our property was hit with high winds. The pole barn type RV garage that we keep our Cruiser in was blown away. The winds were high enough to snap the 6x6 posts in half. One wall is still leaning against the camper, but best I can tell, the damage is not major. The front cap fiberglass is cracked in a small spot, the gutter on the curb side is mashed, there is a 2x10 laying on the roof that I'm not sure yet whether it tore the roof or not, and there is a scratch/dent in the fiberglass sidewall on the road side. I opened the door as much as I could last night while it was still raining and couldn't see any sign of a leak, so I hope the roof is okay.

My question is this: Have any of you ever had minor body damage repaired and paint work done on your fiberglass RV? If so, did you have to paint and re-decal the whole thing to get it to match? This is an older RV, but it was in near perfect condition and still looked as good as a newer one, so I want to repair it. I really hate to get into changing a sidewall out, as it would probably leak from then on.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
mike06081969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
Site Team

First, glad you guys are ok.

Second, even if the color is off a little, it will fade in time to match the rest.

If the wall is that bad, I would not hesitate in getting it replaced, even if you have to go to the factory to have it done. I don't believe you would have a leak issue.

Good luck with your repairs.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
First, glad you guys are ok.

Second, even if the color is off a little, it will fade in time to match the rest.

If the wall is that bad, I would not hesitate in getting it replaced, even if you have to go to the factory to have it done. I don't believe you would have a leak issue.

Good luck with your repairs.
Thanks, Mark. I guess I'm a little too picky when it comes to my stuff. It makes me sick to have to paint on it. I don't mind the front cap so much as the paint was kind of dull on it anyway, but the sides and back still looked like brand new. I really don't think replacing the wall is going to be necessary, but I will take it in and get someone better qualified than me to give it a good going over.
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 02-21-2014, 07:42 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

I would guess it will be up to the insurance company to have you get bids for the repair. I am not sure how much faith you might have in the dealership but if you could the factory would be a great place to get good work done. They would have all the stuff on hand. I am not sure about the drive and how long it would be there. Glad to hear it was you all are Ok
Old 02-21-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by geondebi View Post
I would guess it will be up to the insurance company to have you get bids for the repair. I am not sure how much faith you might have in the dealership but if you could the factory would be a great place to get good work done. They would have all the stuff on hand. I am not sure about the drive and how long it would be there. Glad to hear it was you all are Ok
We are blessed to have good insurance. Within 30 minutes of the storm, our Farm Bureau agent had already heard about it and called us. He had an adjuster here at first light this morning. He said as soon as we get what's left of the garage stabilized and can get the camper out to just take it and get an estimate and they'll take care of it from there. I'm not worried about FB paying for it, I'm just uneasy as there aren't a lot of body shops that can do decent paintwork on fiberglass. The factory is a thought, but it would be a pretty long trip from here. My dealer is awesome, so I'll probably give him a call tomorrow and see what he recommends. I appreciate the well wishes, we were fortunate to have relatively minor damage. The house is livable and we are safe, so I'm counting my blessings!
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 02-22-2014, 07:52 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

Update on the RV damage:

We got the side of the garage that was leaning against the camper pulled back today and pulled the camper out.
  1. The roof is torn in two places.
  2. The rolled metal where the roof rolls down to the side is mashed in the same two places.
  3. The front cap is cracked.
  4. There are small dents/scratches on both sides.
Otherwise, it fared pretty well. I think I can patch the roof and use it until I can get it in somewhere and get a new roof on it. Probably have the front cap repaired and re-painted and let the rest of it go. Does anyone know if you can still get the original decals for an 07 Cruiser?
Valley 16K slider
Ride-Rite air bags
Old 02-22-2014, 07:57 PM   #7
Site Team

FYI, fiberglass is sometimes hard to repair. It sometimes continues to crack where it was repaired. (this from my son who is an autobody tech). Some autobody shops guarantee their repair. Hope you find one that does.
Don't know about the decals, you might have to call Crossroads.
Best of luck.

PS
Eternabond is a good product to repair the roof with.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
Site Team

Mike if they don't have the decals, take pictures and measurements. I've had decals made at sign shops. Even these places that put decals on the sides of trucks can custom make them.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote