Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

While on our trip one day we noticed a strange smell in the living/kitchen area. Not the black tank but hard to describe, just not normal. Following my nose around led me to under the sink. I thought maybe a dead mouse. After emptying all the stuff from under the sink nothing. ????? Looked in one of the storage bins that we pulled out and it had a short piece of threaded black PVC with an umbrella valve on it. Scratching head and kept looking. Following the sink drains thru the trap and toward the wall. Just before the wall was a T with a pipe sticking up about 6-8 inches, top out of sight. Felt around and yep it was threaded. Light bulb moment. Yep the short piece fit onto it and I screwed it down tight. It was the "burp valve" for the grey tank, it let air in but not out. It allowed the grey tank to drain without emptying the water in the P Trap and letting the odor in from the grey tank. Somebody had their thinking cap on when they did that.

It didn't work too good laying in the storage bin. We were smelling the kitchen grey tank.

Just FYI.Edited by: avvidclif
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

They are Studor vents and they do exactly what you described (when they are installed). Let air in for proper drainage flow and don't let odors out.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote