Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2011, 04:12 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

I'm a soon to be Slingshot owner and I have a couple questions for the more experienced folks out there.

Before I take delivery, I want to have the essentials in hand so I'm not in danger the first time I hook up to the services offered by the RV Park.

I've read that my brand new rig will catch on fire if I don't have a $300 surge suppressor, and that my water lines will burst if I don't have a water pressure regulator.

I don't mind buying either of those, but I don't want to do it if it's not really a good idea.
So for example, do I really just need a volt meter (Which I know how to use) and a little common sense to avoid electrical problems, or do I really need an active line monitor that will shut down if things go bad all of a sudden? Do I need the delay start to save my A/C or don't these newer units already have a startup delay on power loss?

Do I really need to be concerned about high water pressure or should I just not worry about it?

Any advice from you old timers would be appreciated.
thanks

Jeff G (and family)

jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
Site Team

I don't know where you read your rig might catch on fire if you didn't have a surge guard.
What could happen if you experienced a surge from the power CO. or a lightening hit is possibly burning out your fridge, or micro, or tv, or your converter. That isn't something you can control using a volt meter. I would think after spending all the money you did on the new rig another $100--$300 for a surge guard would be worth it just for the peace of mind.
Same goes for a water pressure regulator. If you blow a line and flood the trailer, that $50 regulator will seem like pretty cheap Ins.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:14 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

While I agree with the above, here is my take. I have never had a surge problem with the campground power. Yes it could happen(and some have had a problem) as well as a lightning surge. In 30 years of camping, no problems (I have RV insurance for this). I do however have a plug in circuit tester that I use every time I stop. The lights indicate proper wiring and polarity ($5.00). As far as water goes, a regulator is a must. You can buy the cheaper ones (regulated to 45PSI, or adjustable ones) but get something and put it on the campground water supply before your hose. When leaving the rig, turn off the water for safety.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:56 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Big thumbs up on what Stan said about the water! Use a pressure regulator. They are cheap and easy. But definitely turn off the water before you leave the rig. That way if you have a leak you don't have to hope some good samaritan walks by and sees the problem then turns off the water for you! We have seen this happen twice!

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:58 AM   #5
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Last summer I was at a campground that had low voltage problems. My surge protector would shut down the power to my rig when the voltage was below 90 volts. This happened about a dozen times over the course of a day. Since it was hot and the air conditioner was on, this could have saved my A/C from burning out from the low voltage.

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:06 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

AC line voltage meter, which plugs into a receptacle = $ 30.00
in line water regulator with guage = 25.00
seems like cheap insurance to me.
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:23 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Thanks everybody. I just wanted to confirm that these items weren't a waste of money. I got them on order now.

Jeff G
Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

"Before I take delivery, I want to have the essentials in hand so I'm not in danger the first time I hook up to the services offered by the RV Park. "

JGray, here's an excellent site for beginning RVers: http://www.newrver.com/index.shtml

It helped me get started with my SlingShot; alot of good info.

South Carolina

2011 Slingshot 29BH
DoubleVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:39 PM   #9
Full Time Camper

DoubleVeteran: what makes a "DoubleVeteran"?

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:40 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Just noticed you are in SC, can I ask where? We're in Myrtle Beach ...

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
Weekend Camper

I just got back yesterday from trip to Rock Hill.

Thanks DoubleVeteran for the link.