Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2015, 12:34 AM   #1
New Camper

Sunset Trail Heat

We recently purchased a sunset trail 300bh travel trailer. We are up in PA and it is freezing still! Our heater hasn't been functioning correctly. When it functions, it only works on the gas setting. When it is on the electric setting, the AC blows cold air. We left it on the gas setting so it would heat. Now, the heater/furnace won't turn on at all. Any ideas? We're freezing!!!
Juanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:26 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The furnace will only run on gas. They are not electric. Check your gas bottles and make sure that they have gas in them. You might have one empty, and need to do a change over. I run a electric space heater to save on the gas
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:55 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Also when running the furnace. Make sure your thermostat fan is set to auto, or you will get both cold air from the ceiling and hot air from the floor

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 05:59 AM   #4
New Camper

The thermostat gives the option of both gas and electric... And the guy at the dealer said it had the capability. Maybe he was wrong.

In regards to making sure the fan is on auto; I only have the option to switch the fan on cool--is that normal? I don't have that option on heat.

Thanks for all your help!
Juanle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:04 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Sounds like you have a different system Installed than the one we have. Hopefully someone with a newer model will chime in and help

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:48 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanle View Post
The thermostat gives the option of both gas and electric... And the guy at the dealer said it had the capability. Maybe he was wrong.

In regards to making sure the fan is on auto; I only have the option to switch the fan on cool--is that normal? I don't have that option on heat.

Thanks for all your help!
It is possible that your AC is a heat pump model or equipped with electric strip heating. If that is the case, then you do have electric heat, and the air flow will be from the ceiling vents and not the floor vents. Also, heat output from a heat pump is very minimal and will seem cold compared to the much higher output from the furnace.

You should be able to program a different temp setting while in gas mode vs. while in electric mode. Check them both, chances are the gas mode is at a lower temp than electric, in which case the gas furnace will not turn on until temp drops to that lower number.

I think your fan control is operating correct. In cooling mode, you have two choices, continuous fan or auto fan (cycles with the AC). But in heating mode, the fan should only run while the heat pump or furnace is running. But the main switch should give you multiple options, OFF, COOL, HEAT-gas, HEAT-electric and AUTO. But I'm just guessing on that. Anyway, if that is set to AUTO and the different temperature setting are wrong for cooling and both heat modes, then it may be possible when in the AUTO mode that cooling will happen instead of heating. The set point for cooling should be like 78 degrees while the set point for heating might be 72 for electric heat and 70 for gas heat. You need to verify all of the temp. set points, not just a single one.

Ask your dealer if the unit is equipped with a heat pump or strip heating. Hope this helps.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:32 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

All awesome information from the crew here, but I have a 300bh and there is no factory electric heat or heat pump.

You can buy add-on systems and have them installed. They essentially add a section to your furnace intake with an electric heater element similar to a space heater. So yes, the THERMOSTAT is compatible with heat pump systems and as well as upgrading to an aftermarket heater element as mentioned.

We opted for a couple low wattage portable ceramic heaters to keep the furnace from running constantly when camping this time of year.

Good luck with your trailer. We absolutely love our floor plan.

PS
Whether by design or flaw, I like the setting where I can run the AC and Furnace at the same time. If it feels damp in the trailer, the combination of systems dries out the air in a few minutes.

2017 Ford F350 Super Duty 6.7 King Ranch Crew
Sold the 2016 Crossroads Sunset Trail Grand Reserve 32BH
2020 Grand Design Momentum 320G
OhioMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

Look at your owners manual to see if you have a "heat pump". I think that is a good option to have. However, it won't blow hot air like a furnace with a heat strip. It tends to run more but more economical. If it is truly "freezing", less than 32 it may not be able to pump enough heat, in which case the aux heat should kick in. Some do this automatically but some you have to manually switch over. I would check your propane and try turning your propane heat on.

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #9
Seasonal Camper

The furnace burns though propane pretty quick. Last may we went though nearly two bottles in 3 nights trying to keep the chill out of the air for the kids.

We bring space heaters now and use the camps electricity rather than our gas.
Old 04-09-2015, 09:01 PM   #10
Weekend Camper

I also have a 300 BH. It is correct that the heater for the RV only runs on gas and all you should have to do is make sure you have the valve to your propane tank open and the selector pointed to the correct tank and turn the room thermostat to heat. The "gas/electric" switches on the control board are for your water heater. You have the option of only selecting the electric switch and your water is heated by electricity. You have the option of just selecting the gas switch and your water will be heated only by propane. Or you can turn both the gas and electric switches and your water will be heated by a combo of both which helps to take those longer hot showers. The two switches you mention have nothing to do with the room heater.
Ford F-150 Twin Turbo, Max Towing Package
exposurecontrol is offline   Reply With Quote