Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

I have a 30 AMP surge protector that goes between the campground plug and the trailer plug. I have had this unit since I bought my first trailer almost 8 years ago. This surge protector has worked great until the last year or so. Every time it rains now the protector trips and has to be reset. What do you think would be causing it and what do you think I should do to rectify the problem?

iceman31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 03:19 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

As insulating materials get older and embedded with pollutantsits insulating value is diminished; that with a little moisture might cause a ground fault condition.

There is an aresol called REPEL that can be used to protect your connections from moisture. I've seen thelive end of a 120 VAC ext cord sprayed with REPEL and then dropped into a pail of water with no negative results.We spray down all of our outdoor Christmas display power cord connections with it.... so far , so good.

Heavy industry pays big dollars to have their outdoor electrical connection insulators cleaned each year. The power lost ( grounded ) due to pollution is costly.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:13 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

I wrap a large plastic trash bag around the surge protector and that keeps the water away from it. Rain, sprinkler, or just dew could get into the box even though it is waterproof.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

What KamperDavesaid is correct. It's alot like your GFI plugs in your home (if you have any) they get corroded after time then don't work properly. Most GFI's don't function correctly after sometime at all, in your case your surge protector is tripping and cleaning it with a co-contact cleaner may help. Keeping it wrapped in plastic will definatly help keep the moisture out, but prolongedbagging it will also develop unwanted moisture so when not using it store it in a cool dry place.

'06 F-250 SD V-10

SCT custom tuned

https://i785.photobucket.com/albums/y...a/SDC12617.jpg
ryeja is offline   Reply With Quote