Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2022, 07:06 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Surge protector Hughes power Watchdog 30 amp surge protector

Have the Hughes power watchdog. With A/C on if microwave or water heater kick on I get an E3 error
Is this something that is wrong with my camper or power coming from campground? Here is the error description
(€3) LINE ONE OVERCURRENT....
Your Watchdog has determined that you have exceeded your amp rating. Two
issues; One, the park circuit should have tripped and apparently didn't. Two, you are
drawing more amps than your RV can handle. At this point go into the RV and turn
off a major appliance such as an air conditioner or TV. You will now draw fewer
amps. Push the restart button on your phone and check how many amps you're
drawing. You can use the app to see how different appliances effect amperage
reading on your phone. Check the park voltage on your phone, low voltage causes
higher amperage. Report both conditions to park management. Consider getting a
Hughes Autoformer if your voltage is low.
Rkenjalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Team

That happened to me when a had an Rv with a 30amp system. Always had to turn off AC when using the microwave.

By the way, please put your model and year in your signature. It will help us respond better to your questions.

Near the top of the page in the black bar on the left, you will see--UserCP
Click on that. It's your control panel.
Scroll down a little and on the left side you will see-- Edit Signature.
Click on that and type in what you want for your signature
Remember to go to the bottom of the page and click on Save Signature

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 08:24 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark5w View Post
That happened to me when a had an Rv with a 30amp system. Always had to turn off AC when using the microwave.

By the way, please put your model and year in your signature. It will help us respond better to your questions.

Near the top of the page in the black bar on the left, you will see--UserCP
Click on that. It's your control panel.
Scroll down a little and on the left side you will see-- Edit Signature.
Click on that and type in what you want for your signature
Remember to go to the bottom of the page and click on Save Signature
Thank you for the suggestion I updated my info. I wonder if the park isn’t supplying enough amps making it happen, or if it is something wrong with my system. Everything runs fine without the surge protector. But I know it’s doing what it should be doing. I’m at a permanent spot so can’t check it the next place I go.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:41 PM   #4
Site Team

If your trailer is 30 amp, than you are drawing to much with both the AC and the microwave on at the same time.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 04:32 PM   #5
Site Team

Your surge protector is telling you you are using too many amps. With 30 amp service your AC and the water heater and the microwave are all big draws. Also in the background the converter is drawing a few amps If you have the lights on and even without the lights it is still charging/ maintaining the battery.

With our 30 amp Cruiser we had to be mindful of what was running at the same time EX- the AC and the water heater so we could not use the microwave unless we turned the water heater or the AC off. You will learn "power management" and what with what will be over the rated amount. Your Watchdog is doing its job.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:39 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I think I’m going to switch it over to 50amp. New converter and wiring shouldn’t be too bad to do I don’t think.
Old 08-14-2022, 07:50 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkenjalo View Post
Have the Hughes power watchdog. With A/C on if microwave or water heater kick on I get an E3 error
Is this something that is wrong with my camper or power coming from campground? Here is the error description
(€3) LINE ONE OVERCURRENT....
Your Watchdog has determined that you have exceeded your amp rating. Two
issues; One, the park circuit should have tripped and apparently didn't. Two, you are
drawing more amps than your RV can handle. At this point go into the RV and turn
off a major appliance such as an air conditioner or TV. You will now draw fewer
amps. Push the restart button on your phone and check how many amps you're
drawing. You can use the app to see how different appliances effect amperage
reading on your phone. Check the park voltage on your phone, low voltage causes
higher amperage. Report both conditions to park management. Consider getting a
Hughes Autoformer if your voltage is low.

1st - Trust your watchdog, that's why you bought it.

2nd- Google power requirements for RV appliances, you'll get a list of amps required for each device. 30 amps isn't sufficient for an a/c, microwave and electric hot water heater.

3rd- in the summer, when an RV park is feeding power to dozens of air conditioners, it's common for the voltage to dip below 105 volts and the watchdog will protect you by killing the power. At those times don't bypass the watchdog.
toolman.dustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 06:32 AM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I see in the comments, you state that you are going to switch over to 50 Amps.
Is your RV, the umbilical cord that plugs into shore power rated for 50 Amps?
Is the wiring from the umbilical cord (where it enters the RV) to the power panel (Converter) rated for 50 Amps?
If not you should either change that wiring OR stick with using the 30 Amp service. Your power monitor is doing the job and shutting down due to an over current situation.
Over current = more heat = compromised wiring = possible fire or at the very least damaged wiring.
I also do not know anything about your power monitor, however IF you switched to 50 Amps unless there are settings to change in the power monitor (30 A to 50 A) the power monitor would do the same thing, you may also need to purchase a new power monitor.
Finally an AC draws approximately (depending on size) 25 - 28 A on start and around 18 - 20 A when it is running, A water heater (again size dependant) approximately 12 A as well a Microwave. The math says with all 3 on the current draw is over 30 A.
All of this is: IMHO, with 30+ years teaching electrical theory.

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:18 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkenjalo View Post
I think I’m going to switch it over to 50amp. New converter and wiring shouldn’t be too bad to do I don’t think.
If you do switch over you will need -- A new shore/power cord -- A new connector on the side of the camper -- New wire from the connector to the converter/power center -- A new power center-- Anew surge protector/EMS. Can it be done sure but it will be a lot of work and expensive. Also in the power center every wire 110 and 12 volt has to be removed and changed over to the new one and you will need to follow the manufactures recommended torque for the wire connections so they do not loosen and cause more problems.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:56 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagst1 View Post
If you do switch over you will need -- A new shore/power cord -- A new connector on the side of the camper -- New wire from the connector to the converter/power center -- A new power center-- Anew surge protector/EMS. Can it be done sure but it will be a lot of work and expensive. Also in the power center every wire 110 and 12 volt has to be removed and changed over to the new one and you will need to follow the manufactures recommended torque for the wire connections so they do not loosen and cause more problems.
I totally agree.
I think the cost and the work involved is not worth the gain.
Unless you are a qualified electrician that could cause some legal issues down the road as well.
Much simpler to avoid the use of all those appliances at the same time.
IMHO

2012 Sunset Trail by Crossroads
29BH
2016 F150 Lariat
egrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:20 AM   #11
Site Team

Not trying to discourage the OP just pointing out it is doable but there is a lot involved. If they feel that the work/expense is worth the desired results than it would be a good upgrade. Certainly cheaper than a different camper.

With the exception of our current camper all have been 30 amp and you do have to practice power management. Reminds me of a episode of Green Acres where Lisa had all the appliance numbered according to power usage and could not go over a certain number. Just a clip for some fun.