Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
Site Team

Have enough extra cash right now to purchase either the surge protector or a tire monitor. What do you feel is more important to buy first??

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:02 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

I like the tire monitor. I have gone 30 years of camping without electrical issue from surge or spike. I do check polarity and voltage prior to plug in. maybe I am lucky. I really like having the peace of mind that Iwill probably get an alert prior to a tire going bad.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:21 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Both are great additions. I would give priority to the TPMS. You hear a lot about tire failure.
Hope you never have to deal with either problem.
Reese 16K Slider Wet Bolts
socoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 05:23 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I have to say I agree with everyone that has made a comment. The TPMS was my first after reading so many stories on other forums. My second was the power master that both protects for severe over voltage but will also regulate voltage 10% if needed. Much the same as a autoformer same type product.

I think you are very wise to be thinking about the two items on your list ... many do not.
Old 07-17-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Whilst thinking about a surge protector (was going to be next) I ran into a snag. It seems in an over or under voltage situation it kill electricity to the trailer. I was good with that until I read to reset the surge protector the unit had to be unplugged and then plugged back in.

At that point I stopped. My scenario: We leave out for a half day or more of sightseeing and leave the AC's going to keep the rv and little dog cool. The voltage drops and the surge protector kicks out. The voltage normalizes but the unit doesn't reset. 2 hours later we have a dead dog in our 105 deg heat.

No thanks. I'm rethinking the surge protector as long as we carry a pet.
2009 Ford Lariat F350 SRW CC Diesel
2013 Cruiser CF305SK Patriot Edition
avvidclif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:41 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Cilf, we have a Hughes Autoformer and it lowers or raises the voltage automatically. It is more expensive than a surge protector but well worth it to us. I have it mounted where I can see the lights on it through the vent for the heater and have seen it working many times.</span>

</span>
As far as the question, if you are running the cheap Chinese factory tires my vote goes for the TPMS.</span>
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:14 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

Just replaced the factory tires last month when I had the steel valve stems installed to support the TPMS I already had. It seems one of the tires had tread separation so all 4 were replaced with Carlisle trailer tires, ST235-80-16. I'm hauling one of the good,?, old tires around to keep Murphy at bay so he hit my black water tank valve(other post). I'll look into the autotransformer,that's a viable alternative I haven't considered.Edited by: avvidclif
Old 07-17-2013, 10:47 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by avvidclif
Whilst thinking about a surge protector (was going to be next) I ran into a snag. It seems in an over or under voltage situation it kill electricity to the trailer. I was good with that until I read to reset the surge protector the unit had to be unplugged and then plugged back in.

At that point I stopped. My scenario: We leave out for a half day or more of sightseeing and leave the AC's going to keep the rv and little dog cool. The voltage drops and the surge protector kicks out. The voltage normalizes but the unit doesn't reset. 2 hours later we have a dead dog in our 105 deg heat.

No thanks. I'm rethinking the surge protector as long as we carry a pet.
Not sure what surge protector you were looking at but most will automatically reset within a few minutes when voltage returns to normal .
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

Thanks Cliff, I have two wonderful kids (Dogs) and you have given me cause to reconsider and get more info. I actually just ordered a surge protector yesterday. I have cancelled that purchase. I thought I had all my ducks in a row thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:45 AM   #10
Site Team

My Progressive surge guard says it automatically resets after power is restored. So that tells me everything should turn back on that was on when the shut down occurred.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:53 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Thanks Lloyd hopefully Cliff's responce was about a specific product. I just never thought about the possibility it could be a consideration where pets are concerned.
Old 07-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
Full Time Camper

We have a <!--if gte mso 9>
<o:OfficeSettings>
<o:AllowPNG/>
</o:OfficeSettings>
<!-->Progressive Industries Model EMS-HW50C, Progressive Industries 50 Amp Hard Wired EMS with Remote
Display. It auto resets after a 15 sec. time delay. I saw it work when we went camping over the 4th of July. The campground voltage dropped below 104 volts frequently in the morning and a few times in the afternoon. Everything came back on as needed.

Edited by: NorskeNY

2012 Cruiser Patriot CF335SS.

2011 Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

https://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/...ailerKeuka.jpg
NorskeNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:12 PM   #13
Full Time Camper

What is everyone actually checking their site with? A standard volt meter? Does a surg protector actually protect you from an underpower situation? I guess I always thought that was more for a power spike?

Tim
13 ST25RB
08 F-250 SC 6.8L XLT 4x4
Tim D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

Tim, that depends on the model and type. the cheeper ones only protect for a spike. the more expensive ones will disconect from power for overvoltage and undervoltage, reverse neutral and other issues. Other even more expensive will have a voltage regulator, that will constantly adjust voltage to try and keep it within a specified range. Its all about how much you want to spend and what type of protection you think you need. I went with this model http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...FUui4AodvioA9Q
for several reasons. I got it on sale and used coupons, so with shipping I paid 200.00. It protects from over and under voltage, reverse wireing and nuetral, and auto resets. I chose the portable version instead of the hard wired one after alot of thought and for several reasons. Easier to swap if I change trailers, If it does blow due to lightning or such, I can unplug and restore power by plugging direct to the campground to finish my trip. Hardwired version you would have to re-splice the main to bypass the blown surge guard, and finally I want to stop the bad power before it gets into my trailer or even into my shore cable not inside the trailer just before the converter. wires can still melt and catch fire, thats better left outside IMHO. the only downfall is the portable one can be stollen, but after reading alot of forums, that is very rare.
Edited by: cw3jason

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:41 PM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by socoguy
Thanks Cliff, I have two wonderful kids (Dogs) and you have given me cause to reconsider and get more info. I actually just ordered a surge protector yesterday. I have cancelled that purchase. I thought I had all my ducks in a row thanks for the heads up.
http://forums.crossroadsrv.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7291&amp;title=electrical-problems-elevation-3612
Possible fire could have taken out TT. I'd reconsider the surge protector.
Reese DC
hondavalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:45 PM   #16
Pnr
Family Vacation Member

I have the portable as well. I put a small chain on it , and lock it to the pedestal.

Pnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:08 AM   #17
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorskeNY
We have a <!--if gte mso 9>
<o:OfficeSettings>
<o:AllowPNG/>
</o:OfficeSettings>
<!-->Progressive Industries Model EMS-HW50C, Progressive Industries 50 Amp Hard Wired EMS with Remote
Display. It auto resets after a 15 sec. time delay. I saw it work when we went camping over the 4th of July. The campground voltage dropped below 104 volts frequently in the morning and a few times in the afternoon. Everything came back on as needed.

I have the same set-up with the 30 amp version. I mounted the information panel in an area that is visible to me from the area I spend most of my time while in the 5th wheel. I really like the ability to "see" what's going on with the power.

Another nice feature with the Progressive unit is that one has the option to set a delay on the reset time (I believe it's one or two minutes) which helps to prevent damage to the compressor unit in your air conditioning unit. There is also a switch on the read-out panel that ALLOWS ungrounded current to get through, this feature is useful when you are getting your power from a portable generator. If I recall, when operating in the "ungrounded" mode there is no or limited read out information on the panel.

Anyway, I am happy with the product.

Still, as others have noted, I would go go for the TPMS first and at least check the power source before initial connection to you trailer.

By the way, I also have a TPMS and really enjoy the added peace of mind of being able to "see" what's going on "where the rubber meets the road"......... two very valuable pieces of equipment.

See you out there,

Robert
Huntington Beach, California
100ton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #18
Full Time Camper

It appears the Progressive Industries does have an auto reset feature as well as a lifetime limited warranty.

My initial information (gotta love the internet) may have been in error but in this case I wanted to be certain for an obvious reason.

Toodling off to find the best deal....
Old 07-30-2013, 01:05 PM   #19
Weekend Camper

"....everything should turn back on that was on when the shut down occurred."

Probably not everything. Digital clocks, radios, TV's, (all depending on battery back up]and I don't know what else.
A digital a\c controller probably not. "Normal" one probably will.
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote