Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-16-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

I don't have one for the trailer hook up, beginning to think it might be a good idea. What is the general consensus? Do you use one? If so, which one? I see there are two types, the hardmount type and the inline type that would go on the end of your power cord. So 80% of our camping is with hookups. 80% of that is 30amp. When we can get 50 amp we do, but it is not overly common in most areas we travel. So would you need a different surge protector for each power level?

Thanks for the replies

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

I have never used a surge protector, tho I have looked at them often in Camping World. They are VERY spendy, and in 12 years of full and half-year RVing I have never wished I had one. But there is a first time for everything and that first time can cost a lot. I do use a voltage meeter and a circuit plug-in analyzer. This way I can check the circuit before I plug in my rig. The surge protectors come in both 30 and 50 amp versions. You can use the 50 amp version with a step-down adapter.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:11 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

I have a 50 amp Autoformer mounted inside our trailer. Yes they are spendy but all it will take is one surge or power drop to loose several thousand dollars in electrical appliances and gear to pay for itself.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:15 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

We have a Surge Guard 30 amp (our Cruiser has 30 amp service). Just as I have surge protectors around the house on our electronics (computer, HDTV) we protect our coach. In an instant our investment in our Cruiser can turn into a smoldering hulk so the $220 for the Surge Guard was a no brainer.

There are 30 and 50 amp versions of the Surge Guard. If you have 50 amp service in your coach it would behoove you to buy the 50 amp version regardless of campground connections.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I put in a 50amp Progressive unit when I first got my Trailer. It has kicked in a couple of times (bad ground, low voltage). Since low voltage kills electonrics, I figure it has paid for itself. Pretty simple to wire, and on the Kingstons, plenty of room in the battery hatch.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:23 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I have a surge protector I used for the first two years. Then after going through some RV parks in my travels I found it was hard to keep the voltage up to run the AC. So now I have a Power Master much like the Autoformer Hunter talked about and for much the same reason he stated. I was out this weekend and talked to a guy camping next to me telling me about how he smoked his autoformer by not checking his hook up. The park wiring was not correctly and he plugged in to it. I has been talked about just a few weeks ago about checking the pole and have some kind of protection.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:21 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

I use a Hughes autoformer and a Progressive Industries 50 amp portable EMS system

Seasonal Site, Autumn Lakes Campground-Sunbury, Ohio

https://i454.photobucket.com/albums/q...r/DSCF0342.jpg
krazed5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by geondebi
I was out this weekend and talked to a guy camping next to me telling me about how he smoked his autoformer by not checking his hook up. The park wiring was not correctly and he plugged in to it.

How is the park not liable for this? If their equipment is faulty and causes a problem, they foot the bill.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

You would think .... it was a membership campground and he told me when I ask that a number of them across the country were in need of general repair ... but it made me think of a post a few weeks back about correct wiring and how some times we just plug the cord in. It sure opened my eyes, although my surge protector checks for wiring, that may be it is something we need to do. just something to think about.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:16 AM   #10
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by geondebi
... It sure opened my eyes, although my surge protector checks for wiring, that may be it is something we need to do. just something to think about.

That is what I love about my progressive unit, I get a full report before any power is applied to the trailer. If anything is out of tolerance, it will not power up the trailer.

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
Old 04-29-2010, 03:30 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Timely and interesting thread. Had not ever thought about this issue before. Moving to a season lease site and having power to the trailer while we're away suddenly makes this an area of concern. Talking to my RV repair facility they tell me they have had 5 units in for surge/spike related issues already this year ... with minor damage to TV all the way to a fried reefer.

I looked at the Power Master and Hughes autoformers. Doesn't seem to be alot of difference between them. Ordered a Hughes unit, if for no other reason then they seem to have pioneered the technology. Thought about getting a surge protector only but alot of peace of mind for a few dollars more by getting the autoformer.

I realize insurance will cover any damage, but repairs are subject to my deductible. Shows as a claim on my auto policy if submitted and many companies are now charging for claims frequency. Plus the inconvienience of bringing the trailer in for repairs and the possibility of not having the trailer available when I need it. Seems like a small cost to pay for not having to deal with all that.

'08 Sunset Trail ST29RL

papa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 03:50 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa2
Thought about getting a surge protector only but alot of peace of mind for a few dollars more by getting the autoformer.

As this thread discussed early on, an autoformer should not replace a surge protector.

Here is a good article on both: http://www.rvcruzer.com/electrical/chapter13.php

2008 Chevy 3500 dually