Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Tank dump process

So we're new to RVing, and after our first black/gray tank dump, when we put the hoses into the bumper and they compressed, leftover soapy water from the gray tank that was 'caught' in the ribs of the hose pushed out and leaked on the ground. Is there a sanitary way to avoid this? What's normal procedure when doing this, bearing in mind there may be a line of people waiting on you?
lp722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:02 PM   #2
Site Team

I disconnect the end from the camper first and immediately tilt it upward and raise the end higher than the rest of the hose. I then raise it encouraging any remaining water to drain into the dump site's tank. Next, I'll rinse it briefly with clear water from the dump site's water source and again encourage all remaining water to drain into the dump site's tank.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2022: 3 trips, 18 nights in 4 states, 2352 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 5336 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
I disconnect the end from the camper first and immediately tilt it upward and raise the end higher than the rest of the hose. I then raise it encouraging any remaining water to drain into the dump site's tank. Next, I'll rinse it briefly with clear water from the dump site's water source and again encourage all remaining water to drain into the dump site's tank.
So the little bit of water that gets trapped in the ribs of the hose...it's just normal/accepted that some of it's going to come out when the hose is compressed into the bumper, and you just rinse it out well and do the best you can?
Old 03-06-2017, 02:01 PM   #4
Seasonal Camper

Give yourself a little bit more time. Lift the end of the hose and then slowly continue raising the hose and moving the fluids down the hose towards the drain. Most of it will be gone and that will be that.

The hose will never be perfectly dry though.

You'll also notice a difference depending on the quality of dump hose you're using.
dedmiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:17 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavisK View Post
X2. This is the best way that I found to do it also, have been doing this way for years.
2021 Ford F-250 XLT Premium
6.2L, 6 3/4 ft bed, FX4. Tow pkg.
sjk1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmiston View Post
Give yourself a little bit more time. Lift the end of the hose and then slowly continue raising the hose and moving the fluids down the hose towards the drain. Most of it will be gone and that will be that.

The hose will never be perfectly dry though.

You'll also notice a difference depending on the quality of dump hose you're using.
Thanks! Our hose is a dealer-provided item. I'm sure it's the cheapest one he could get. Any recommendations for good ones? I've seen RhinoFLEX stuff everywhere, but I'm not sure if it's because they're good or because they spend a lot of money on marketing?
Old 03-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #7
Site Team

I've had my Rhino for quite a few years now. It has outlived all the other hoses combined. Worth the little extra money to me.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:53 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lp722 View Post
Thanks! Our hose is a dealer-provided item. I'm sure it's the cheapest one he could get. Any recommendations for good ones? I've seen RhinoFLEX stuff everywhere, but I'm not sure if it's because they're good or because they spend a lot of money on marketing?
Rhino has been my go-to brand for many years now. It's hard to get too excited about a sewer dump hose, but I really do like their products.

Check Amazon for good deals.

Here's a link to a good starter kit that includes the Rhino hose: https://www.amazon.com/Camco-44732-S.../dp/B00F5LWJBC

I reviewed this starter kit on Amazon about four years ago. I just re-read my review and I still agree with myself (it takes a big man to admit when he's right). I still use RhinoFlex and I still use these orange drop-in packets of chemicals.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-r...R1I2WSNGT9Q1AN
Old 03-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #9
Gone Traveling

Rhino hose won't fit in your bumper without sawing/grinding the tabs off of the ends.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:55 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Rhino hose won't fit in your bumper without sawing/grinding the tabs off of the ends.
I mounted a hose carrier under my unit to carry the rhino hose. Also I do what the others said. I do however dump the black first then the Gray so it can wash out the hose. Then I will unhook from the camper and raise as I walk towards the dump end. I also shake the hose some. Always will have some left but that's normal.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:11 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Good point. I keep mine in a tote because the Rhino fittings are too big.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:17 PM   #12
Site Team

http://www.crossroadsowners.com/foru...ouch-9849.html
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:06 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

We use Rhino also and have a special bumper mounted carrier. One thing - never use your regular fresh water hose to rinse the sewer hose if the dump station does not have one. We use one of those "pocket hose" things because it is light and does not take a lot of space. It scrunches down pretty small.

If your tanks ever leak after closing, a quick and inexpensive fix (which I found out on this forum) is a Valterra valve. It is available at Amazon. It attaches at the end of the sewer drain on the trailer.

2012 Cruiser Sahara 330SS
2015 F250 Super Duty diesel
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #14
Weekend Camper

When at a dump station and people are waiting. Take your time, do a good job of draining, flushing and cleaning tank and hose. They can wait. And that goes for backing, hooking up, unhooking. I use to worry about keeping people waiting, I got over it, and so will they.
2011 27' RLX
gregtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #15
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtx View Post
When at a dump station and people are waiting. Take your time, do a good job of draining, flushing and cleaning tank and hose. They can wait. And that goes for backing, hooking up, unhooking. I use to worry about keeping people waiting, I got over it, and so will they.
The other side of that coin though is to pick your timing accordingly. If you know you need some extra time at the dump site because you're still new at it or you plan to thoroughly flush your tanks, then try to avoid high traffic times like immediately before or after a holiday weekend. If the line is five rigs deep, you should make it as snappy as you can.

One thing that helps is when you're next in line, get out and start to prep. Get your hose and fittings ready, open up your convenience hatch door, or anything else that you can do to shave a few minutes off your dump time and speed things up for the guy behind you.

An alternative is to use dump sites that don't have people lined up at all. I usually dump at a county fairground on my way home from camp. I pay my five bucks and then pull into a vacant camp site where I can take all the time I need since nobody is lined up behind me.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #16
Full Time Camper

I agree about having a special hose for rinsing. I took a regular white camping hose and wrapped black tape around both ends about 5", so it's easy to spot and I associate the black tape with "Black Tank". Most people don't have this luxury but when I was building my house I had the septic tank people install a clean out like you see at a dump station so if I don't have time to clean my tanks good I will dump and clean some then wait until I get home and clean completely the way I like to. But of course if I have time and there's not people waiting or if I can dump at my camp site I will do it there.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:44 PM   #17
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregtx View Post
Just curious, do you feel the same way when you're sitting behind that guy taking his dear sweet time cause you can wait? Do you also tie up your barking dog outside, cut through others campsite? I certainly hope not! From our experience there are 2 types of folks at rv parks/campgrounds, #1 are considerate, helpful, neat & freindly, #2 are weekend warriors that think they own the place for the weekend cause someone else has to clean up after they're gone & gonna do as they damn well please for 2 days regardless of rules or other campers.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:36 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Lol, what does taking the time to clean black water tank and hose properly, have to do with dogs, or driving through campsites ? Cleaning properly is rude or inconsiderate ?
2011 27' RLX
Old 03-11-2017, 12:31 PM   #19
Full Time Camper

ok , stop the arguing before it gets out of hand.

at the dump station ..hook up hose,dump black ,shut valve...dump grey ,shut valve,...unhook hose,rinse and put hose away. Pull ahead and stop when clear of dump station (to let next guy in) and check to make sure you have everything put away and add the 1 gal of water and chemical to black tank, then leave.
If you are just going to use toilet again anyways ,no need to be anal about making the tank spotless.

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Harley, thanx for your opinion. And we know, everybody has an opinion. This tread was by a newbie on cleaning blackwater tank and hose. As a newbie in 2011, I watched several youtube videos on "how to clean blackwater tanks". Non mentioned your cleaning method. When I'm in line at the dump station, I'm not angry the guy is taking to long, I'm kicking myself for not getting up earlier.
2011 27' RLX