Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2011, 02:37 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

Well, summer is just about officially over even though it is still hot by some people's standard and soon so will our seven month volunteering experience. In Dallas there were over 70 days of 100 degrees or more. We have been at Ray Roberts Lake State Park since April 1st. Our 2010 Cruiser has but one 15k a/c unit. In late Spring the a/c unit was replaced by Dometic for an evaporator rust issue. The original unit worked fine but the internal frame was all rusted with rusty water covering the roof and back of the coach. Except for a few very hot afternoons, we were comfortable in the RV with just the single a/c unit. By opening thedivertor at the bottom of the a/c unit and diverting all the cool air into the living area we got by without many issues. At night I turned the thermostat down to 74 after closing the divertor. The bedroom was always cool and sleep no issue. In the morning I would turn the a/c up to 77. On the hottest days the a/c ran constantly from about 10 am until about 2 am. The coolest place in the RV is the front bunkhouse or where the master bedroom is in most other Cruisers.

My wife and I were satisfied with the experience and plan on returning to this same park next summer to once again volunteer. We have learned that RVing is terrific but full timing is not our "thing". I do not think our opinions would change even if we had a true full time RV.I really cannot understand how people can go from a stick house toliving in an RV. Our Cruiser is great for its intended purpose, i.e., a vacation unit. We now intend to use it as it was intended. I think four months next year will be more than enough for us after we complete our seven months this year at the end of October.

Edited by: artgpo

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote