Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to timscruiser
OK I have to ask if anyone knows if it is safe to be getting up on the roof to clean the roof on the slide every we get ready to pull the slide in ? I'm afraid of the thin Rubber type material if I happen to get a stone in the tread of my shoe and walk on roof it might cut it ?

What do you guys think about it ? I don't know if everyones else's roof is like mine but I can see the SEAMS in the plywood it's so thin . I haven't installed a slide topper yet but I think thats next on my list of must have LOL

THE CONROYS MINI MOTEL ]]

<br /
timscruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Tim, I do walk on the roof of the trailer but not the slide. I have never needed to as I have a broom on a long handle so I could do it from the top or as I do climb on a ladder ans sweep. I do not have slides toppers so when it is rains I have to get up on the ladder to wipe any standing water as well as leaves or pine needles. That's what I do.

Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I walk on the roof frequently do not get on the slides themselves.Be careful how close you get to the edges the radius under the roofing is stapled and a lot of flexing will cause the staples to work their way up. We get several snowstorms each year and when I get up to sweep the heavy snow off the roof I usually take time to check the edge to make sure I dont need to push some staples back down. I also push any errant ones down each spring when I inspect. We also do the same as you and walk up to sweep the slide roof before sliding in.

2019 Volante 240RL
mapachoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Damage to the rubber roof is not the only issue. Without a wall under the inside edge, your weight could collapse the s/o roof. I don't believe they are designed to be walked on. You can always have an assistant retract the s/o while you sweep it if you don't feel comfortable reaching out so far from the main roof.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

I guessI said that the wrong way LOL what I meant to ask was is it safe to walk on the trailer roof because of the thin rubber and the danger of getting a hole from a rock cutting it . To tell you the truth I hadn't even thought of steeping on the slide roof because of the light bracing in the roof . I also didn't think about needing a long handle broom but that really makes sense whenI think about it LOL . Thanks for that eye opener on the broom and I guess I'm just a worry wart thinking the rubber could get a hole that easy Hmmmmm Or am I ??

<br /
Old 04-02-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

i'M lazy I use a leaf blower to do the top and slide. I also use it to get rid of leaves when in FL.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I've been thinking of doing it that way but I'm even lazier lol been thinking of hooking up a light 7 ft. peace of PVC with 90 deg. elbow so I can do it from the ground LOL .

bow how about that for lazy ? I do have a small ORECK that will do the job but I'd look kind of silly up there like that LOL

Tim

<br /
Old 04-03-2012, 01:02 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I asked CR when we were at the factory about walking on the roof and they indicated that it was no problem. I would be careful to make sure there's no sharp rocks stuck in the bottom of your shoes but aside from that, go for it! Just don't back off the edge when you're looking the other way

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:50 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

My husband has an extra pair of shoes he changes into before he walks on the roof and he makes sure there are no rocks and junk in them.

He has a long handle wash broom the type you use on trucks with the soft bristles that he uses.

2010 Seville 35CK

2011 Dodge 3500 D.D.MCAB

https://i900.photobucket.com/albums/a...r/photo2-2.jpg
Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
Full Time Camper

Send a message via MSN to tator447

Theresa,
Thanks, a good suggestion. I have an old pair of "deck" shoes that are perfectly flat that I can use for just this purpose.

Jim

Jim & Linda Tator
Watertown, WI
2013 Crusier CF34SS GMC 3500 8.1L Dually
154 nights in 2013 - 4,370 miles
178 nights in 2014 - 5,082 miles
365 nights in 2015 - 6,040 miles
tator447 is offline   Reply With Quote