Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-23-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

On our way south Thursday night we blew out a tire on our Zinger. The damage was to our bathroom , the only thing not destroyed was the toilet and the med cab. The tub is half gone. The damage is also under the heater and refridgerator. What a mess! We are in NJ where would I get this fixed? I was going to do it myself but a second lookshowed alot more damage then I thought there was. I guess we won't be useing it this next weekend.

2003 Excursion (his)

2000 Excursion (hers)

2006 Zinger 32QB
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Family Vacation Member

Slick;

Sorry to hear of your tire problems. This has become a normal problem with most trailers these days. We lost two tires last year on a trip to Myrtle Beach. One on the way down and one on the return trip. We did not have the damage that you discribe, but still a PIA none the less. Hope you had some roadside service to assist you, as I did not.

What type of tires did you have? Age? Speed?

Best of luck on your repairs and hope you can get it fixed and back out on the road soon.

Duncan & Chelsea (Scotty Dogs)

Williamsburg, VA

2009 Dodge 3500 DRW QC 6.7L

2007 PP PF36SK (Rolling Fun II)
Virginia RVers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

We got lucky I guess and noticed after we got home from a trip last Spring that two of the El Cheapo Mission tires that came on our trailer were starting to come apart with less than 5k miles on them. So we had to spend $650 to have new BFG Commercial tires put on a trailer that was less than 1 year old. We are researching new trailers now and the only trailers we are looking atare the ones that either come with good tires or have a tire upgrade. It is a shame buyers continue to have to deal with cheap tires and damage because RV manufactures would rather save a few bucks per unit.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

I too am sorry to hear about your damage and not being able to use your Zinger camping. Like all of our trailers the gas to the frig and stove run by or close to one side of tires and wow what damage it can do. This is one reason some folks run with gas turned off while towing and others, like me, do not and hope this does not happen. I am sure it is hard to think what caused the blowout either cheap tires, a low tire over inflated, or just one that came apart.

As all of us read this think if some kind of pressure monitor could have prevented this from taking place and the cost of the system over the cost of repairs and loss of camping.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #5
Weekend Camper

I was running Goodyear tires, had checked the pressure that was fine,tires were only 2-3 years old, was going about 63 mph. We were only about a half hour from home. Luckly there was a State Trooper in a unmarked car behind us and he stopped to check with us. He called the DOT road service that serviced that area and they were there in less then 5 min.changed the tire and had us on our way in no time. By the way this was a free service that NJ had (not sure for how much longer) I don't know what tires I will be replacing them with as I have heard good and bad on almost all of them. I have never had a problem with Good Years before, but I looked at the sidewall and it said Made in China .Now I have to clean it up and get it fixed ASAP. That won't happen for this weekend and most likely not be done in 2 weeks when we go out again. Looks like the wife,5 kids 2 dogs and myself will be tenting it that week end, wish us luck.

2003 Excursion (his)

2000 Excursion (hers)

2006 Zinger 32QB
Old 05-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #6
Weekend Camper

It gets better the heater was hit and most likely will need to be replaced. 1 of the braces that come from the frame to the outside wall was also bent.

2003 Excursion (his)

2000 Excursion (hers)

2006 Zinger 32QB
Old 06-01-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

I will be dropping off the Zinger at a dealership after work to get the cost on the repairs.

2003 Excursion (his)

2000 Excursion (hers)

2006 Zinger 32QB
Old 06-02-2010, 01:52 AM   #8
Full Time Camper

I hope they can get it fixed and get Zinger back into action.

Old 06-18-2010, 12:21 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

I just got the cost of repairs for our Zinger. It was over..............$10000.00 So we are not sure what the insurane company is going to do about it. We leave for vacation in 4 weeks. This past weekend we did tent camp , but with 2 adults,5 kids, and 2 dogs tenting for a week is not going to work.Our Zinger is a 2006 32QB

2003 Excursion (his)

2000 Excursion (hers)

2006 Zinger 32QB