Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Tire Inflation

Just received my Tire Minder TMG400C tpms system and trying to install it.

Instruction #1 is "Tires should be cold and inflated to the manufacturer recommended pressure".

My vehicle tag, being 12 years old, is somewhat faded so I'm don't know what it is. My rig calls for 205/75D15 tires. I have 225/75R15 tires. Max load rating is 2830 lbs. Rig GVWR IS 7993. Max tire pressure is 80 psi.

The tire's are currently at 60 - 65 psi. I am currently planning to use 60 psi and program that in. Any advise??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camper tag.jpg (184.7 KB, 9 views)
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

That means inflate them to the pressure stamped on the tire sidewall. However the assumption is that you are running stock tires or at least the same load range as original. If you are running a higher load range (i.e. higher psi), it is not a good idea to inflate the tires to that higher psi. That will make the tires too stiff for the light weight they are carrying and you will beat the trailer to death.

If you look at a load inflation chart for say Maxis, you will see that at the same psi, a load range E tire will carry the same weight as a load range D tire. Meaning if both are inflated to 65 psi, then they have the same load carrying capability at that psi. But the E tire can be safely inflated to 80 psi while the D tire cannot. On the other hand, the E tire has more mass and will run slightly hotter than the D tire at an identical psi, which is not a good thing. In short, if your trailer came stock with 65 psi tires and you now have 80 psi tires, I would run them around 70 psi as a compromise between running too stiff and running too hot.

Or you can weigh the trailer and use actual weight and the load inflation chart to set the tire pressure. Even then, I would run about 5 psi above the stated pressure for additional margin against minor changes in loading from cargo, side winds, road crown, etc.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 07:23 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Larry had some good info posted for you. I will add that my signature rig originally came with load D tires and I was having a minor wear issue. I went to Load E tires like you did and now I run 80PSI without any wear issues. I believe while the original tires were satisfactory for the apparent load, The newer tires do carry the load better.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Thanks for all the information. I haven't weighed the rig yet so for now I will use the listed GVWR of 7993. An earler blog about changing your tires stated that your load should be at about 75% of your load capacity. 7993 is 75% of 10,660 dived by 4 = 2665 per tire. The chart shows at 70 psi a rating of 2620. So on that basis I'll go with 70 psi until I can actually weigh the rig. Appreciate your help!
matherne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 10:45 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by matherne View Post
Thanks for all the information. I haven't weighed the rig yet so for now I will use the listed GVWR of 7993. An earler blog about changing your tires stated that your load should be at about 75% of your load capacity. 7993 is 75% of 10,660 dived by 4 = 2665 per tire. The chart shows at 70 psi a rating of 2620. So on that basis I'll go with 70 psi until I can actually weigh the rig. Appreciate your help!
Actual weight on the tires is less than 7993 since the hitch weight is carried by your truck. That blog also probably wanted the 25% margin to deal with imbalanced loads. But 70 psi should still be a good number til you can get real weight.

Texas Baptist Men-Retiree Builders member since '01
13 Silverado 3500HD D/A, 2wd CCSB srw, custom RKI bed
11 Cruiser CF32MK
https://www.picturetrail.com/dayle1
Dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote