Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2009, 05:22 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

I was reading the Owner's Manual for my 32SB and notedinfo concerning the recommended tire pressure - which was stated at 65PSI - this is also confirmed on a sticker on the trailer side. I checked my tires and they were all 45 PSI. I have since pumped them up to 65PSI.

For the experts - is 65 PSI the correct/recommended pressure - it seems a little high to me (a novice).

Just checking to make sure before we embark on a 10 day trip aroundNew Brunswick and Prince Edward Island up here in the Maritimes of Canada....

Thanks.

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:28 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

The PSI is correct for those tires. Remember that these tires do not turn they are basicly drag thru a corner. The 65 PSI helps keep these tire cooler I check mine before we leave the storage yard once during the trip and before we leave the campground. When you are at a campground watch those tires when some one backs into aspot watch all the pressure that is put on those tires. It wiil amaze you. the air pressure also helps keep the tires seated on the bead.

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:36 AM   #3
Family Vacation Member

I keep mine at 65. You should also check the sidewall of the tire. It will have the max tire pressure printed on the side. If the manual and the sticker on the trailer both say 65 I would bet your tires say the same. I don't know whatthe weight of your trailer is but I suspect you were way underinflated at 45.

2007 CF30SK Cruiser

2006 Dodge 5.9 CTD,48e,4x4,QC

https://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t...CRUISER1-1.jpg
Ridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

The best way to remember is (for 15" tires) 65psi at 65mph. That is the fastest they are recommend to run.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:18 PM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Thanks for the info. My trailer is rated at 7400lbs dry - with the extra "stuff" I suspect the weight is more like 8000 now. So at 45lbs - I was towing underinflated - and being a novice I did not notice anything "odd" about the tow. Once again thanks for the very helpful safety info. This is a great forum for us novices to pick up the "tricks of the trade!!!"...

Have agreat summer.......

Roselyn and Darrell
2007.5 Silverado LT/EFI Live Tuned Duramax/6Spd Allison/Banks Ram Air with Super Scoop/Edge CTS Gauges/Air Lift Load Lifter 5000 Ultimate Air Springs
2014 335ss Cruiser Provincial
Retired Navy
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:51 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

Yep....you should always run trailer tires to the max pressure stated on the sidewall. As stated before, this helps the tire run cooler, which avoids excessive heat build up that can then cause blow-outs. Always do a walk around inspection at each stop to check the tires and see if anything is out of wack. I happened to pick up a nail in one of the trailer tires when we stopped for fuel in Beloit, WI. The nail had not been deformed so I know I picked it up moving between gas stations trying to find some diesel. However, it was in deep enough to cause an air leak when I pulled the nail out. A quick change out to the spare at a nearby Wal-mart and we were back on the road in about 15-minutes. I can only imagine what would have happened if I had not caught the nail before we left on our next 2-hour drive...

2015 Rushmore Springfield
Disc Brake upgrade, Goodyear G614 tire upgrade
RV FLEX-ARMOR roof, Mor-Ryde IS suspension

2017 F350 Dually 4x4 6.7 Bronze Fire
gossamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

I have to agree to the 65 psi. We are new at RVing andhad 4 goodyear tires installed just before heading out on vacation. They were inflated to 50 psi at the tire center. We traveled 1500 miles and our tread depth dropped from 10 to 8.75. We researched the forum and inflated them to 65 psi and on the return trip dropped from 8.5 to 8 on the tread depth gauge. It looks to me that proper inflation will reduce wear. Of course, there are many external factors involved such as wind, rain, speed and road conditions.

Lug nuts: We also reviewed the forum and then bought a torque wrench. Afterviewing the following page we learned that none of our wheels lug nuts were tight enough and the left rear was extremely loose.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/...jsp?techid=107

We will never be traveling again without logging tire pressure and checking the wheel torque. Logging the tread depth across the face of the tire may soon be on our list too.

Over Inflation: An old friend tryed to seat a tire by greatly increasing the pressure. Unfortunately the tire blew and he lost his forearm and had sever internal damage. Please be careful.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
Weekend Camper

good info thanks
Greg Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 05:17 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

i would'nt just go by the owners manual and sticker on the trailer. double check the sidewall of the tire. fill them to the max.65psi sounds right. you never know if your tires are different than what your manual or trailer sticker says.

2000 ford f350 v10-2008 ford oem rims & tires

https://i647.photobucket.com/albums/u...cture451-1.gif

spinella is offline   Reply With Quote