Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

Just received my HawksHead TPMS today. Igot a card in the box that will entitle one person 10% off if they order a HawksHead unit before 9/30. If anyone is thinking of getting one of these units I will give the code to the first person who sends me a PM to use on your order.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #22
Full Time Camper

Keith, great minds think alike!! I received my Hawshead today as well and installed it this afternoon. Pretty simple install once I read the directions a second time! I am leaving next Tues for a trip down the Oregon coast, Reno and then to Palm Springs area. Anxious to see how this system works on the road.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:18 AM   #23
Full Time Camper

Let me know what you think of it. I won't get ours installed for a couple of weeks and then won't get to use it until the first of November when we head out for a one month hunting/Thanksgiving trip.
Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
Seasonal Camper

I have used my Hawkshead all summer and I love it. You can check each tire whenever you want to with the temp and pressure.

Now when you do get on the road you will be amazed at what temps your tires go up to and what they dont go up to. I have certain tires that dont go up but only a few lbs of pressure while traveling and the others go up 2-5 lbs more. It is weird and they are working correctly because I tried changing them (the sensors on the tires)around and they still read the same pressures for the same tires.

I love the piece of mind of not having to try to see the tires in the mirrors all the time. It just makes the journey that much more enjoyable and safe for me IMO

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:59 AM   #25
Site Team

Brian:
Did notice how the temp of the tire varies depending on how the sun hits it (them)? Also how they differ from the shaded side? I noticed this on the first trip out.
You are right, the piece of mind not having to watch them in the mirrors is well worth the price.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:18 PM   #26
Seasonal Camper

Yes I did notice the sun did make them high in pressure on that side. Mine were very weird though, 1 on the sun side would run 2-5 degrees hotter than the other one, but it laso happened on the otherside too and opposite too the front and rears, i.e. the front on the sun side would be higher but when the sun was on the other side the rear was higher pressure. I guess it just depends on the tires. I did call the manuf. and asked about it and he told me that tires do run very weird as they had the same results when they did their testing of the monitor. some tires run hotter than others and fo ni reason.

Old 09-17-2010, 07:37 PM   #27
Family Vacation Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KHUNLINDA2003
What temperatures do your tires usually run at and how big of a difference do you get between tires?

2003 Beaver Marquis

formerly 2004 Silverado

two ragdolls, Flash and Bandit
KHUNLINDA2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:56 AM   #28
Seasonal Camper

you really cant say what temp they run at because it all depends on how hot it is outside. Sometimes they run over 70 psi other times they run at 68 psi. all depending on the weather outside. If it is hot out but raining they will run cooler. I explained already above the difference in temps that occur with mine.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:15 AM   #29
Seasonal Camper

All this talk about tire pressure has me wondering what people use to keep their tires inflated. I have a small 12v compressor that plugs into a lighter socket but the cord isn't long enough to reach the trailer. It's also pretty cheesy and would like something better.
Suggestions???

https://www.runnerduck.com/images/dev...andtrailer.jpg

KennyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:42 AM   #30
Full Time Camper

I carry one of these in the trailer.I figure if we are on the road and atire goes down I am calling Coach Net road service to change it.

http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...mp;catalogId=1
Old 09-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #31
Seasonal Camper

I have a Vector all in one battery jump starter with an air pump on it with a light and even a USB port. I think I have seen them at the local big box stores. Whats nice is it recharges either through the 120v or 12v, and it is cordless so you can take it to any tire you want to inflate then rechage it while driving down the road.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #32
Full Time Camper

I have just a small 3 gal sears compressor I use just to keep the tires pumped up. I check them before I leave the campground. While on the road I would just change a tire and be on my way as I do not carry a generator. I love the story of a motorhome with a generator and a pressure monitor sys discovered a slow leak and was able to stop as needed to pump up his tires until he got to a tire shop.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #33
Full Time Camper

Hawkshead follow-up...I am currently in Lone Pine, CA and have completed 3/4 of my trip to Palm Springs area with the new tire pressure monitoring system. I set the tire pressures upon leaving at 80PSI and the system has worked great so far this entire trip. Outside temps ranged from 50 - 100 dgs. Under normal temps the tires ran about 5-7 lbs high and when in the 100's, they ran about 6-8 lbs high. The tire temps varied depending on sunlight and whether or not the road was windy (ie mountains) Below 90 dgs, they ran about 8-12 dgs hotter and when the outside temps got into three digits, they ran about 12-20 dgs hotter. Highest temp reading was 116 dgs. So far I have had no alarms and no lost signals (I don't have the signal booster). Its been a great piece of mind tool. Highly recommended.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:49 AM   #34
Full Time Camper

Stan I have said the same thing "great piece of mind" for the past 3 years. I think it is money well spent and as others get a system to monitor their tires they will say the same. maybe the big truckers should get it too and less rubber would be laying on the road.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:50 AM   #35
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by geondebi
maybe the big truckers should get it too and less rubber would be laying on the road.
Do not think so. A trucker is not going to stop and fix a flat. I remember several years ago I told a trucker on the CB he had a flat on his trailer. He told me that was OK it it would soon fly off and not be a problem anymore.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #36
Full Time Camper

Surely not his problem ... may ours because if we are behind him or having to hurry to change lanes so we do not hit it ... I sure wish he would have thought about it. BUT money is driving and if he stops, has someone come out to change a tire then the driver is behind time and money. Oh well I guess that is way it goes

Old 11-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #37
Weekend Camper

I've been doing a lot of research on wire tire pressure monitoring systems, mainly the Hawkshead/TireTracker systems and the TST model 510 and new 507 systems.

One feature I want is the ability to check tire pressure in the morning as I prepared to hit the road for the day. Both TST systems give you the ability to turn on the monitor and check current tire pressures before you turn on your trucks ignition. With some of the other systems, especially those with user-replaceable tire sensor batteries, you cannot check tire pressures until rotation of your tires "wakes up" the tire sensors. So if this feature is important to you, do your research!

There is a large discussion on the various tire pressure monitoring systems over at the Good Sam forum.

One question I have for those here is how difficult/expensive was it to replace your rubber valve stems with metal valve stems. I plan to do that when I get my wireless system. The Crossroad dealer said he can't do it but to take my FW to a tire dealer. Firestone also doesn't want to do that as the FW won't fit in their bays.

Edited by: dkr1946

2008 Chevy 2500HD Duramax/Allison 4WD

2007 Crossroads Cruiser 30SK

"Nuestra casa con buena vistas"

<a href="https://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas">CkList
dkr1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:53 AM   #38
Full Time Camper

I'd take it to a local tire dealer. When they break down the tire, they will have to re-balance the tire so it may cost 15.00 per tire or so to do the labor.