Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2009, 03:02 AM   #1
Site Team

I know this subject has been around here many times. Here goes again.
I am going to put new tires on the 5er in the spring. Started looking today and came up with the Carlisle. They now make them in 15 in. 10 ply rating. Our local Goodyear dealer is handling them. Said he has put about 100 of them on trailers for guys hauling their skid steers and such. He said he will have a better answer for me come spring.
I know earlier in the forum they were being talked about and a few were going to try them.
My question is-- for the one's who are running them, how are they working out for you?

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:23 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

See if you can find some Maxxis E rated tires close to you. Carlisle has had a lot of problems over the last few years.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 04:02 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
Maxxis has a consistent product that most users rate very high. They also come in 15" D & E ratings. Outside of going to a LT tire there is not a better tire for the money.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #4
Site Team

I'm concerned with going to a 10 ply tire. They ride harder then an 8 ply. I really don't think I need the additional plies. We have the rear kitchen, and it moves stuff around back enough now. My rig only weighs 6622 dry weight and a GVWR of 11625. there is no way we can pack 4300# in that thing.
I did mention LT tires to the dealer today and he told me not to. Said they can't take the tight turning and sliding around. Said he had people do it and a couple of them ended up with busted rims, ruined tires and it even started moving the axles.
Maxis make an 8 ply?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to mwebber78
I'm not sure what the ply equiv. is since they don't rate tires to ply's anymore. I do know that in your size range you only need a "D" rated tire and that's a common range for the Maxxis brand. If you do a search for Maxxis on RV.net you'll have a lot of good reading on them.

Good luck!
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
Full Time Camper

I am running Carlisles on my trailer and so far I am pleased with the performance.
'04 Dodge 2500 Quadcab CTD
gball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Full Time Camper

I just bought 4 Maxxis E last weekend. Bought them at Discount Tire for $85 each. Heard/read some complaints on the Carlyles. Called the rim manufacturer and they said 80PSI is no problem as long as steel stems are installed. We shall see.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:58 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I had 4 new Maxxis put on this summer and have been happy with them. I spoke to a fellow at Maxxis before I bought them because I considered going "up" a load rating and he said it was not necessary. The higher rating doesn't give any additional wear or durability. I am impressed with how the tire is built. It definitelylooks "beefier" than the ones that came on my cruiser or either of the 2 sets I had on my last camper. I had looked at Goodyear Marathons and the Maxxis looks like a much better tire and they were less expensive which I have to admit spooked me a little at first but apparently it just costs more to get the Chinese to stamp "Goodyear" on a tire. And yes, I know the Maxxis are not made in America. I think it is Taiwan. I would have loved to buy American but I couldn't find anything that was American made for my tire size. I also got a "fresh" set. The DOT code on them indicated they were made in March of 09 (if I remember correctly).

Lonnie

04 2500 Hemi Ram Quad Cab
Chuck N. Wined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 12:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebber78
I'm not sure what the ply equiv. is since they don't rate tires to ply's anymore. I do know that in your size range you only need a "D" rated tire and that's a common range for the Maxxis brand. If you do a search for Maxxis on RV.net you'll have a lot of good reading on them.

Good luck!
Mike:
If you look on the side of your mission tire. (if you still have them on there)
It states---8PR Load Range D The 8 PR stands for ply rating. That ply rating isn't out dated yet.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:03 AM   #10
Site Team

No tires yet, But I did talk with my Goodyear dealer yesterday. He can't seem to come up with any Maxxis. If I buy Maxxis, I would like to get them some what local for service if it's needed. He does have the Carlie. Also, something he passed on that I found very interesting. The Goodyear Marathon--- he thought they were made in Canada. Any body know for sure one way or the other?
He also told me he has had one customer who had a marathon blow and did damage on the under side of trailer. According to him Goodyear picked up the bill for the repairs. That would be a nice Ins. policy. I guess the customer initiated the contacted with Goodyear then he took over and finished up for him.

Old 01-29-2010, 03:42 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

Lloyd, I want to sayI read somewhere that all Marathons up to load range D are made in the US, load range E and above are made in China. Don't hold me to that because like I said I read that somewhere. Best thing to do would be start doing some searching around the internet and see what you come up with.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:18 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11
...all Marathons up to load range...load range E and above are made in China.

Is it just me, or am I the only one who's REALLY fed up with everything being made by China? I've never had to buy trailer tires yet, but I do go the extra mile toensure thatmy truck tires are made in the U.S.A. There; now I feel better.
lynlou14760 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
Weekend Camper

I agree 100%. In this world we cannot buy all USA made but if we would all put a little more effort into trying to buy USA when possible it would make a heck of a difference in the lousy economy that we have today.

dcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:55 PM   #14
Weekend Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Farmer
No tires yet, But I did talk with my Goodyear dealer yesterday. He can't seem to come up with any Maxxis. If I buy Maxxis, I would like to get them some what local for service if it's needed. He does have the Carlie. Also, something he passed on that I found very interesting. The Goodyear Marathon--- he thought they were made in Canada. Any body know for sure one way or the other?
He also told me he has had one customer who had a marathon blow and did damage on the under side of trailer. According to him Goodyear picked up the bill for the repairs. That would be a nice Ins. policy. I guess the customer initiated the contacted with Goodyear then he took over and finished up for him.

I purchased my Maxxis ST225/75R15 from a small independent tire dealer, he just called his distributor and got them in a couple of days. I ask that they only deliver tires manufactured not over 6 months. I got 4 that were only 4 months old. Mine were manufactured in Thailand. Great looking tires.

2006 Cruiser CF25RS

15K Reese Slider

https://thumb18.webshots.net/t/75/175...8ymYwCx_th.jpg
ret2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter11

Lloyd, I want to sayI read somewhere that all Marathons up to load range D are made in the US, load range E and above are made in China. Don't hold me to that because like I said I read that somewhere. Best thing to do would be start doing some searching around the internet and see what you come up with.
Keith:
I have been doing some reading on other forums and such. What you stated seems to be right on. Here's a link to a site I came across. Maybe some of you guys will find it interesting.
Sure a lot of info there.
http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm
Old 02-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to Jersey Guy
I put Good Year Marathons on my last Cruiser, load rate "D". They were made in China.

2008 CF32BL
Jersey Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:02 PM   #17
Seasonal Camper

From everything I've read Maxxis seem the only route. There is a question regarding side wall construction in LT's plus moving to 16's might not be an alternative anyway. If you are a fan of Capitalism, you will buy the best/safest product for your money/needs, as it also makes a statement to the manufacturer. I've heard too many horror stories about Goodyear as their products all but destroy many owners prized trailers.I have yet to hear anything negative about Maxxis. My Cruiser is 2 years old and around 10,000 miles and will soon be heading out for another 2000 mile trip, one of at least 2 this year, probably 3. I have been shopping tires for nearly a year and will replace mine before the Easter trip. I will over buy putting E's rather than current D's and will balance them.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 AM   #18
New Camper

Marathons were made in China but I understand Goodyear was either in the process of, or has already returned the molds to the states. I can't confirm the latter.

I've removed the Missions on my PP after having two of them blow on successive trips, and replaced them with Michelin LT tires. So far, they are doing well and they handle very nicely.

I don't understand why CR won't put 16" wheels on all of their fivers. Does anyone know why? It would sure make things easier for those who now have 15" wheels.

Jeb1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #19
Seasonal Camper

16" wheels on our Seville. When we go to Saint George in April I am going to get 4 new tires for the truck (Nitto Terra Grappler 295/70R18) and 5 new 235/80R16 Greenball Transmaster. I'm not familiar with the Greenball tire, but I am willing to try them out based on the recommendation I got from Discount Tire.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #20
Weekend Camper

Has anyone had any experience with the new tires CR has been installing since October? I've got Trail Express Power Touring Load Range D ST 225/75R 15 tires. With all this discussion about tires going bad, it would be nice to know something about these tires i.e. where were they made, are they any good, how long should they last, etc. Thanks

Preston, Retired Army (1995}

2010 CF27RLX being towed by a 2005 F350 dually 6.0 Powerstroke, automatic FX4, Airlift Airbags, Reese 15K Hitch
NC Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote