Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2010, 08:32 AM   #21
Full Time Camper

When I came back from Colorado the Temps out side were between 102 and 107

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #22
jeb
Family Vacation Member

I believe the point of the Consumer Report study was to compare nitrogen filled tires with air filled tires under the same conditions. Thus, it makes no difference whether they were under a load or not under a load if they were under the same conditions. They concluded that there was slightly less leakage with nitrogen. IMO, not enough to matter.

I know that automobile race teams use nitrogen for their tires because they do not change temperatures (pressure) as much as air filled tires.

I have my doubts whether it's worth the hassle on a trailer. Every tire is going to lose some of whatever is filling it when it sits or goes down the road. That's the nature of the beast - especially given today's quality control on rims, valves, and the tires themselves. If nitrogen is your thing, that's cool. When you top off your tires at the start of a trip or mid-way through the trip, unless you can find nitrogen to fill them, you've just pee'd away what ever you paid for the initial nitrogen fill.

It's your money.

jeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #23
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb
When you top off your tires at the start of a trip or mid-way through the trip, unless you can find nitrogen to fill them, you've just pee'd away what ever you paid for the initial nitrogen fill.

It's your money.

Air is ~80% Nitrogen, so when you top off you are really changing the mix that much.

2008.5ish Kingston KF30SB

2008 Chevy 3500 dually
sheltieRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 AM   #24
Full Time Camper

I think I will stick with good tires and good old air. I pull in 100* temps every Summer and have never had an issue once I had good tires on any trailer I have pulled using air to fill them. The last year we had our Cruiser I pulled it across I10 thru West Texas all day at 105* to New Mexico, that was for 640 miles that day and never had an issue(65 mph and tires at max 65 psi). Same thing coming back 10 days later. Until there is good evidence nitrogen is worth that kind of money and will last in a tire used for a trailer or tow vehicle I will stick with what I have use successfully for years.
Hunter11 is offline   Reply With Quote