Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2014, 04:55 AM   #1
Family Vacation Member

Tires on RV

Hi,
I'm going to be picking up my new ST270BH in a few weeks. This will be my first TT.
I started thinking about the tires on the trailer. I remember looking at them when I was at the dealer and they were some off brand name that I didn't recognize.
Should I have the dealer put a better set of tires on the trailer before I pick it up?
What are everyone's thoughts on this? How long did your stock tires tend to last?
Lastly, if I find myself needing to change a tire, in the case of a flat, is it the same as changing a tire on a car? Does the RV come with a Jack or can I use the car jack?
Thanks!
Mike
nachtmsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

No jack with the trailer, you would need to use the jack from your truck. Nothing different in changing the tire from a regular vehicle.

Most manufacturers don't put top brand tires on. It is unlikely your dealer will foot the bill for anything different. Check the tire condition carefully for cracks and uneven wear. Depending on how far your dealer is from the factory you should be able to tell if there is uneven wear which could point to an axle out of alignment. Make sure they are properly rated for trailer (D,E, etc.) and properly inflated. If they look good, the Chinese tires will likely get you through two to four years or possibly many more depending on how far you tow each year.

We tow 4,000 to 7,000 miles per year and after this years trip (3rd summer) with the Chinese tires I will probably replace them with commercial tires. I don't like to worry about them so will put better tires on even if our ones from the factory look good. We will see how they handle a 7,000 mile round trip to Alaska this year.

The tire replacement debate (brand and type) is a whole new debate.
Saskatoon, SK
WildWildWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 12:01 PM   #3
Site Team

You might want to consult your owners manual about how or how not to raise your rig for changing tires.
Unless it has changed, they don't recommend placing a jack under the axle to raise the trailer.
Some here on the forum are using a trailer aid, and if that doesn't get it up high enough to change the tires, then take the last little bit with a bottle jack.
Seems as tho the side walls on the axles are pretty thin.

http://www.adventurerv.net/advanced_...h7daappodgdek2
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Ditto whats been said. I understand these are new tires and if so I would use them and just watch for uneven wear and bubbles. I had some develop right around the bead after about 12000 mi. It is my understanding that trailer tires are rated at 60 mph no matter where they are made. I don't see very many rigs going down the IS under 60. I have been running on Toyo Lts for 2 years now going on 10,000 mi and very satisfied.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
You might want to consult your owners manual about how or how not to raise your rig for changing tires.
Unless it has changed, they don't recommend placing a jack under the axle to raise the trailer.
Some here on the forum are using a trailer aid, and if that doesn't get it up high enough to change the tires, then take the last little bit with a bottle jack.
Seems as tho the side walls on the axles are pretty thin.

http://www.adventurerv.net/advanced_...h7daappodgdek2
Agree with Lloyd on using care with jacks. I have several 2x6's I've cut to roll up on with the good tires, raising the flat tire high enough to gain clearance. I do also carry an aluminum 1 1/2 ton jack to raise that axle higher if necessary. Always picking up from under the u-bolts, never the axle tube.

As also noted, lots of debate on tire types, ST vs LT. I recently replaced all 6 tires with an ST, e-rated tire after the old ones reached almost 7 years old.

Makes it hard to drive when all you think about is a possible blow out with older tires. Feel much better now.

Bob and Better Half

2007 F-250 PSD, SW, CC, LB, 2WD
2006 TF32SS Cross Terrain Toy Hauler (sold)
Reese 16k slider
r2millers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I use one of these, and they work with the wide stance axles.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...archTerm=ramps

Jason & Wendy
2014 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L PSD
2015 Keystone Montana 3711FL
B&W Patriot 16K Fifth Wheel Hitch
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote