Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

Wehave a trip planned for next month from Ohio to Tennessee I was inspecting the tires and they have really small cracks in the sidewalls I'm should replace them rite? I got on Tire rack they have tires i need in my size my question is Goodyear Marathon radial (trailer service) 3 1/2 star rating that's all they offer for trailer tires in my size good or bad?They offer a Michelin passenger car tire the some size can i put those on my RV ?????? Thoughts on this????? Thanks in advance.

https://i894.photobucket.com/albums/a...g/Camper-1.jpg
T-n-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Generally trailer tires last about five years. The cracking is a sign that they are aging and due for replacement. It's not a good idea to put car or "P" rated tires on any trailer. They are not intended for trailer use because they don't have the load capacity and sidewall flexibility of a trailer tire. Stick with proper trailer tires that has a "ST" prefix on the tire size.I can't recommend any particular tire because I haven't had the need tobuy new tires yet. Whenyou do buy a set, be sure that are of the proper load range and size and have them balanced like any other tire.Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Seasonal Camper

I finally made the decision to buy Maxxis for my Cruiser. Will be taking a trip from Milwaukee to Durham then the Outerbanks in the heat of summer(july). Got maybe 14,000 on my Towmax, they're about 4 years old. I'm moving from D's to E's, my rims can handle 80#. Concidered Mich XPS 16'S BUT AT 300 A TIRE,plus the costof new rims....I figure the E rated tires will give me some piece of mind and I have yet to read a bad comment about the Maxxis. The Goodyear Marathons have had more bad reports than a lot of other tires put together. Some are being made in the US again but, for me they need to prove themselves.

I don't know what you've read but often blowouts cause massive damage to the trailer especially should the wheel come apart. I will probably buy from Discounttire direct as the prices are good, free shipping, and I bought Michelins for my Yukon, ordered on Saturday, were in my garage on Wednesday. Make sure you use metal stems, and I will balance this set.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

It's the small cracks that led me to replace my tires after 3 years. I figured the insurance deductible and hassle would cost more than the tire replacements. I looked hard at both Goodyear and Maxxis and would only stick with one of those two mfg's. I chose Goodyears just for ease of ordering a to throw the business to my local Ford Dealer who gave me the best price. As for going with "P" rated tires it's probably not a good option as the weight capacities are much lower as is the sidewall strength.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:53 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

I did the same as Tom and Denice. Got the Maxxis from Discount tire last Nov. Seem to be doing fine and I have the peace of mind knowing he load rating is much better.

Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 02:44 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Just threw a set of Maxxis on last month, and got an alignment right away. No more uneven wear, and I feel confident in the quality of these tires. I purchased from my local tire shop.

SOB 5er
lenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Weekend Camper

Give this site a try. I have a Zinger..new last year, and the Duro tires on it are crap, sidewalls are cracked way beyond what I would even think of using. I shopped around, and I got a really good deal from this guy:
http://www.lvtrailerol.com/eshopprod...ite_Stripe.htm

I bought Goodyear Marathons, and upped my size from ST205/75R14s to ST215/75R14s which gave me a higher load rating. He also claims the TowMax are good tires.

I bought 4 new tires mounted on 4 new rims for $102 each, plus shipping. The got to me in one week. He had quoted $87 each for the TowMax, plus shipping. I figure it will be easier to change the tires one at a time, so I bought them with the rims...plus his price beat all of my local tire outlets quotes for the tires alone!

I can't say enough about how well I was treated.

Like mentioned....passenger tires are not suited at all for trailers, you must have ST (or LT at a higher price) and proper load range.

Good Luck! Dave

and Charlie the Wonder Dog

Western Mass

2009 Zinger 25RK

2005 Toyota 4Runner V8
de4nier is offline   Reply With Quote

« black tank | Help! »