Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

We're pondering what it would be like to winter over somewhere warmer than Indiana (now that summer is here, time to think about the cold season again). One question that I've searched numerous times for in every RV board that I can find is "how do you handle the grey and black water tanks assuming full hookups for an extended period?".

It makes good sense to keep the black water tank closed and then dump is as needed so it seems also prudent to keep one or both of the grey water valves closed so that you can flush out the line. Leaving all the valves open looks to be inviting a problem that I'd rather not have. It would also seem prudent to use the in-tank flush capabilities when dumping as well (memo to self, get another hose).

I'm sure I'm not the first one to ask this nor will I be the last. I'd appreciate experience and opinions of others. The longest we've ever landed anywhere is about a week so staying in one spot for a month will be definitely different.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:24 PM   #2
Seasonal Camper

When I stay for an extended period, I leave the black tank closed and leave the grey tanks open. Then when I seethe black tank is about half full I will close one or both of the grey tank valves. Then when the black tank is full I dump the black tank then pull the grey tanks and flush the line. Then I close the black and leave the grey's open untill the black tank gets about half full again and so on.

2003 Lincoln Navigator Ultimate Edition 4X4

2004 Crossroads Cruiser CT30RL
fixit5561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:37 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Personally I have left both closed until dump time, usually in am after showers etc... then dump black followed by gray, then closed again until ... but I like Brians' system, have only had Motorhome, now have 5er, newer, bigger and more tanks (two gray) so will figure out what works.

'12 F350(NotShown) / '11 Rushmore 35RL
https://i53.tinypic.com/2qs5cw3.jpg
Ruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:46 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

leave all valves CLOSED, until ready to dump.
leaving the black water tank open will eventually [i am told] leave a hard lumpy pile in the tank.
When ready to empty the tank[s], dump and flush black water,rinse with the grey water.
this has worked for me.

Edited by: seabee
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #5
Seasonal Camper

The reason I do it the way I explained above is this. We have only 3 people in our family, so we dont fill up the black tank very fast at all.The wife, daughter,and I, always take showers in the trailer so the grey tank fills up pretty quick.

So the grey water will fill up really fast but the black water doesnt. By leaving the grey tank open and only closing it when the Black tank is about half full, I dont have to be dumping the grey tank every 2-3 days and then dump the black tank every week or so. I go out once during the whole process,and just close a tank valve, then at the end dump the grey and black. This way Im not messing around every 2-3 days with the grey tank.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:32 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

Walt's point was what any of us want to avoid so it looks like the best plan is to leave the black tank closed, let the grey run until the black tank is close to being full, then close both grey valves and let those fill. Then dump black, grey 1, grey2, and then close the black tank valve again.

The tank treatment is still needed in the black tank regardless so that stays the same. Same rules apply to the appropriate paper as well. Just because you are setting in one spot doesn't remove the need to be prudent and not use something that could plug the works.

Thanks for all your input.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 02:21 AM   #7
Full Time Camper

When in a campground/RV Park I dump the black when it is full or before leaving to go home. The gray tanks I dump as needed depending on how long I am in the shower. Like others said I would never leave the black tank open as you need lots of water to flush the solids out. An added note on the way home I put 5 gals with a couple scoops of soap and dump at home. I think the soapy water cleans the tank on the drive back or between travel stops.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:39 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

I leave all valves closed until I need to dump the black tank. I remember one time I saw water coming out of my neighbors trailer. The park had a sewer problem and it had backed up into trailers that had their valves open. Plus you can get gas backup from the sewer line. I have found positive pressure on sewer lines.
rcflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

I leave all valves closed--it's possible to get sewer gas back up into camper. Was in a trailer once when it was happening--not pleasent, the owner could not figure where the oder was coming from. It went away (after a little bit) when he closed his grey water valve.

Flyone
Old 06-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #10
Full Time Camper

In regards to dump or not...

We are primarly weekend campers, so I was curious how many truly wait until their black tank is completly full before dumping? Based on the so so indicators we very rarely get passed the 1/2 mark on the guage ona given weekend. So I'm thinking about maybe leaving the tank until the end of the next trip out. Maybe even sprinkle some RidX down the chute to aid decomposition.

Thoughts on maybe waiting 3-4wks between dumping with a 1/2 full tank? Or just go with filling with the black tank flush and dump every trip out?Edited by: salda01

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #11
Seasonal Camper

salada01.

I also weekend camp alot of times, I still dump when it is time to go home. I just hold the flush down on the toilet until it has a good bit of water in it, or add a few buckets of water to it to get a good flow going. We also make sure when we flush after doing our business to let the water run a bit to make sure and get a good bit of water in the black tank as we are using it. This way sometimes I dont even have to add water to the tank and just dump it after the weekend because everyone already put alot of water into the tank . But I do dump after every trip.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:06 PM   #12
Seasonal Camper

When we first got our Cruiser I filled a gallon milk jug with water and poured it into the toilet bowl to get a rough idea how much was a gallon in the bowl. Now when we do a short weekend camp I fill the bowl to the same level 10-12 times a couple of hours before leavingto make sure there is enough liquid in the black tank for a good dump before leaving. This way I know the tank will beat least half half full or more before dumping.Also about every 4th or 5th time out if I know we will be going to a hook up site, I will put about 20 gallons of water along with some dishwasher detergentin the tank before leaving home and let it slosh around during the drive and then dump on arrival. I have never had any of the problems with black tank "build ups" since I started doing this.

2005 CF29RE 04 Ford F250 crew 6.0 P/stroke FX-4.

(pic coming soon!)
shoetravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:54 PM   #13
Family Vacation Member

We spend six months in ours and I leave both gray tanks open with black closed. When black nears full I dump and refill with a timer on flush system to avoid overfilling (when I forget its on) and dump again. Then put about five gallons back in tank. Once in a while I close the grays and flush them. Then when or if we travel I use 1/4 cup Dawn detergent and five gallons water in each tank to clean while on the road and dump and flush at home. Then put in five gallons fresh water to avoid valve dry out. Never had odor problem!
carl is offline   Reply With Quote