Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #1
Weekend Camper

to get internet or tv viewing reception

curious about what people

use to get internet or tv viewing reception
priceky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
Gone Traveling

For tv we only use the rv antenna or park cable if available, but usually the picture is better with the antenna.
For internet we use Verizon jetpack mifi for secure browsing & use park WiFi if it's free & is strong enough to be usable (most are not too good).
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Site Team

If the campground has cable we use that. Never had an issue with reception, only when we were forced to use the rv's antenna. Most of the rv antennas are worthless.
If we have good internet I use my laptop to send our home cable channels to the tv. If not, I have a wifi booster antenna to use on the lap top. I've seen more and more campgrounds putting up wifi booster antennas throughout the campground.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:53 PM   #4
Gone Traveling

My antenna works great. Everywhere we've been we can usually always get between 20 to 60 channels depending on proximity to a large city.
Old 10-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
My antenna works great. Everywhere we've been we can usually always get between 20 to 60 channels depending on proximity to a large city.
Us, too. Over the Air digital will give you most of what you need. We see campgrounds going away from cable (digital boxes, etc, more problematic) and instead going to better/stronger wifi. Our favorite local campground has wifi strong enough to stream video, even when all sites are full!
Dalzell SC
MartyinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:41 PM   #6
Gone Traveling

Generally all the OTA channels are digital where very few parks have digital cable. There have been several parks with cable that we disconnected from & used the our antenna for much better picture.
Really doesn't matter too much whether you have cable, antenna or satellite tv, there's still only a hand full of channels fit to watch. By the time you take out the foreign language channels, religious channels, shopping channels, news channels & in our case the sports channels, doesn't leave much choice.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:24 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

Really doesn't matter too much whether you have cable, antenna or satellite tv, there's still only a hand full of channels fit to watch. By the time you take out the foreign language channels, religious channels, shopping channels, news channels & in our case the sports channels, doesn't leave much choice.[/QUOTE]

There's a nostalgia effect for me watching OTA TV at a campground. Only 3 or 4 channels with programming I could watch, most showing television shows from the 60's and 70's. Just like the actual 60's and 70's!

I use a Dish Tailgater and can watch the same channels I receive at home.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:51 AM   #8
Seasonal Camper

Used to have a Winegard automatic dish for directv on the roof. If you have sky in the right direction, you just push a button and magically have channels anywhere. Never was able to manually point a portable dish. We cut the cable when we traded rv's and now just have Netflix, amazon Prime, HBO Now. I'm still grandfathered in to Verizon's old (real) unlimlted data plan and use my phone as a hotspot. Never did think cable or sat tv was worth what it cost but did like the DVR. We also enjoy checking out the local flails on local news channels.