Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
Full Time Camper

To Much grease!

So took my 5er camping this past week for the last time in my 2009 2500 before I take possession of my new 2500 HD. I had to make a quick stop in a construction area and I didn’t think I would get stopped. (Brake gain was set at 6.5). So, I have the EZ Lube Axles and from everything I had read and seen each spring I had followed and re-greased the axel and bearings by pumping (Hand pumping) grease until I see new grease come out the front. While at the campground I jacked up each wheel and re-checked the brake adjuster; all was good. We made it home safely with gain turned up to 7.5 and I was more careful then usual. Yesterday, I decided to pull the wheels and drums and check the brakes. Three out of four wheels had grease all inside the brake area. So, I called Lippert and ordered rear seals. All, the brakes were in good shape and bearings looked good too. I also ordered an extra bearing kit (bearings and seal) to keep as a spare. Today I cleaned all the brake area and wheel drums. (12 cans of brake cleaner, and three hours labor). So, I’m not satisfied about the pumping grease until it comes out the front. After I replace the rear seals when they come in, I think I will manually pack the bearings and give a few pumps into the easy lube greaser once the hubs are back on. I find it hard to believe that I had three bad seals and it wasn’t from pumping to much grease.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #2
Full Time Camper

Glad you are not doing that gimmicky thing anymore. I tell anyone that ask not to do it but some do,even my original dealer...not my dealer anymore. Who says you can't train an old dog new tricks lol...

It was a rainy few days at Algonquin Prov park...tarps kept us dry.
Wayne --Belle River (Windsor), Ontario
2013 Sunset Trail Reserve 25RB..(just sold it)
2015 White Chev Silverado 2500HD 4x4 (6.0 l gasser)
2003 Mountain Star 890SBRX Truck Camper
harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 07:29 PM   #3
Full Time Camper

Yea, following all the guidelines sometimes just isn’t right. I thought new easy grease axels. Wrong. Back to old school I guess. It was a job to clean everything up. Also slightly sanded the brake pads to assure a clean surface. Now to wait for the seals. My buddy has a seal press and will help me put them in. So, get everything back together hopefully before our next trip on August 24th.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Old 07-27-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Full Time Camper

After thinking about the amount of grease that was exposed to the brake pads, I decided to order four new Electric Brake Assembly’s. Two right side and two left side. Each assembly was $40 each when the brake shoes alone were $36 for each. The assembly’s are an easy 5 bolt on and re-wire. Didn’t want to chance the old brake shoes being compromised.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4C141474-A339-4EF8-ACD0-0DD78BE96FD6.jpeg (201.7 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpeg 409D090E-2B17-492F-B051-26E6B43693FD.jpeg (190.5 KB, 14 views)

Old 07-27-2020, 07:00 PM   #5
Site Team

I think you made the right move Ted.
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 08:11 PM   #6
Family Vacation Member

Definitely makes me want to check all of mine during winterization. Glad to know you didn’t have any major issues by not being able to stop.
2019 Grand Design Imagine 2800bh
morphrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:46 PM   #7
Gone Traveling

You spent more than the price of one assembly on a dozen cans of brake cleaner.
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #8
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Yea I know. I was hoping to clean and reuse the brakes but I just don’t fill comfortable about it. Hindsight is 20 20!

Old 07-28-2020, 08:47 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:

I see no reason for posting this. I think PapaT is fully aware of the fact. He probably feels bad enough about it the way it is, without a post that sounds like it's running him down for it.
I give Ted a lot of credit for coming on here and posting about the situation.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #10
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Yea I know. I was hoping to clean and reuse the brakes but I just don’t fill comfortable about it. Hindsight is 20 20!
My post was not intended to question either of your decisions, but rather to inform others that have this issue that replacement is the cheapest way to get the brakes back in good working order.
Sorry if you read anything other than advice into that post. I think you did a good job mentioning both ways of rectifying the problem.
You along with several of us on here that have posted regarding the use of the EZ Lube system can fully testify that the only thing they easily lube is the brakes & that handpacking the bearings is the absolute best way to pack the bearings.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:58 AM   #11
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd View Post
I see no reason for posting this. I think PapaT is fully aware of the fact. He probably feels bad enough about it the way it is, without a post that sounds like it's running him down for it.
I give Ted a lot of credit for coming on here and posting about the situation.
As usual, Thanks for pointing that out!!!
Old 07-28-2020, 10:43 AM   #12
Site Team

Don't want to start the Ez Lube debate. Some use them and never have any problems and others do. I am thinking of replacing the brakes on my Cruiser but will try the self adjusting ones.

I also would replace the complete assembly if the shoes were contaminated. Sometimes we try one thing but later decide to go another route.
dagst1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:09 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
As usual, Thanks for pointing that out!!!

You're welcome.
Some times it's better step back and see how something might be taken by others.
Before, hitting the submit button.
We all have to remember that it's hard to get the same inflection with type in comparison to being face to face talking with each other.
Old 07-28-2020, 12:05 PM   #14
Full Time Camper

So, I ordered a bearing packer tool. I have all the rotors cleaned with the bearings and seals out. I have all my front and rear bearings cleaned. Just waiting for my Packer tool and the four brake assembly’s and new seals to arrive. Then I can put everything back together. Did I say “I’ll never use the easy lubes again.” Ugh!

Old 07-28-2020, 12:28 PM   #15
Full Time Camper

Hey, I appreciate everyone’s post and responses. Hoping by posting my problems might help someone else in the same situation or possibly prevent it. No hard feelings to anyone’s post. Like said before. I’m glad I was able to stop in time. I now have learned a hard lesson at the age of 55. So, you can teach old dogs new tricks. Lol

Old 07-28-2020, 01:03 PM   #16
Site Team

As usual Papa T, this forum is a great place to ask, give and take advice from its members. It's nice when the conversations can be done in a polite sensible way.

Owning an Rv is a learning experience and from newbies to oldies you can always learn something new or share a learning experience.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:54 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
I now have learned a hard lesson at the age of 55. So, you can teach old dogs new tricks. Lol
Hey, youngster, I'm still learning things at 69.

2013 Silverado 2500HD LTZ CC 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2023 Rockwood 2445WS
Buster, miniature Dachshund
2024: 2 trips, 26 nights in 8 states, 4801 miles
2023: 9 trips, 48 nights in 12 states, 2 provinces, 8120 miles
2019: 7 trips, 43 nights in 6 states, 3904 miles
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 04:44 AM   #18
Weekend Camper

Good move on deciding to replace the brake assemblies. I went through tech school in the late '60s/early '70s and then Chrysler master mechanic training and was taught that once brake shoes were grease soaked the only option was replacement. They might look clean after using brake clean and sandpaper but there's still a lot of grease soaked into the linings.

John & Cindy
Central Pennsylvania

2015 CrossRoads Z-1 208FL
JEH412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 06:29 AM   #19
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEH412 View Post
Good move on deciding to replace the brake assemblies. I went through tech school in the late '60s/early '70s and then Chrysler master mechanic training and was taught that once brake shoes were grease soaked the only option was replacement. They might look clean after using brake clean and sandpaper but there's still a lot of grease soaked into the linings.
Yea that was my worry. Have anything apart now. So, why not do it the right way and save myself worry and aggravation in the long run.

Old 08-12-2020, 09:03 PM   #20
Full Time Camper

So, I got my new brake assembly’s and new seals in. Spent the day installing everything. Took most of the day but finally got everything finished. Used bearing greaser tool. Checked everything and now to adjust the brakes tomorrow and I’ll be finished.