Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2020, 06:56 PM   #1
Seasonal Camper

To upgrade or replace, that is the question?

So, after the second episode of tire failure (both rears on the Seville), I've concluded that the tires, axles, and springs are probably not what they should be. I watch the tire temps and I'm concerned with how they go up based on the loading and roads.

It looks like I have 4 options, 1) do nothing and potentially get to do body work every 4 years from blowout damage; 2) upgrade the axles, springs, and tires with new Dexter axles, Roadmaster slipper springs & shocks, and new tires & rims; 3) upgrade to MorRyde independent suspension, tires, and rims; or 4) look for something new with better axles & tires.

I know I need to weigh each wheel, but can't seem to find somewhere to do that.

Suggestions and comments welcome.
2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:37 PM   #2
Weekend Camper

Tires

What brand tires are you using now?
Old 09-13-2020, 06:37 AM   #3
Full Time Camper

Go to Goodyear Endurance tires.

*I have tried to live my life so that my family would love me and my friends would respect me. The others can do whatever the Hell they please!” —John Wayne
Papa-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 09:13 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-T View Post
Go to Goodyear Endurance tires.
I agree on my last fifth wheel I put them on and never looked back. might bee an illusion but the unit seem to tow better
Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 05:01 PM   #5
Weekend Camper

I agree, install Goodyear Endurance tires. I installed these on our 5th wheel, no regrets.
43tutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 05:23 PM   #6
Weekend Camper

I would go up to a G rated tire like a Sailun or Goodyear G-614. That's where I would start. Bigger springs and axles aren't going to keep the tires from blowing out.
Old 09-17-2020, 08:10 PM   #7
Family Vacation Member

I think most trailers list 8 ply as the recommended tire. I have gone to 10 ply. The cost is just a little bit more but the carry weight is quite a bit more. Well worth the money. Just remember to run them at 80psi.
2020 Silverado HD3500 Duramax
TexSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:34 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

Are your tire wearing evenly across the face? If so then you definately need to upgrade the tires. If they are wearing unevenly, then your axle is either bent or misaligned. Take it to a shop that specializes in truck alignments and have them look at it. May need an axle replacement or possibly an alignment kit and an alignment after.
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:08 AM   #9
Weekend Camper

A couple of things
1. When you replace the tire go up a load rating if possible, eg. E to F
2. If you are hitched nose high then there is more load on the rears
3. I consider the tire a cheep investment compared to repairs and replace far earlier than wear patterns indicate as the last 50% can disappear in 1 after noon (have experienced this and resulted in a blow out and replacing all 4 tires in the middle of a vacation.

4. purchase a infrared temperature such as the "Fluke 62 MAX IR Thermometer, Non Contact, -20 to +932 Degree F Range". On a walk around such as a fuel stop a quick read of the tires and wheel hubs can give an indication of a problem before you are at the side of the road with a breakdown. during this also check your tow vehicle tires and hubs, break temp.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:21 PM   #10
Seasonal Camper

I have to apologize for not providing more information and being slow to get back to this.

We were headed back from wintering in Florida & lost 2 tires within maybe 10 miles of each other. First tire was not too bad to replace as we coasted off an exit ramp onto a flat shoulder. The second one was traumatic. On the side of I-26, on Palm Sunday, road service was non-existant (insurance, FMCA road service, etc.). Not that I didn't have it, they just couldn't find anyone.

The second flat, we wound up buying a used LR-E tire just to get us into a campground in Spartanburg about midnight.

We put on 4 Goodyear Endurance on the following Wednesday and towed on home.

I have a TPMS with internal sensors but the only warning was the abrupt jump in the internal temp just before the tire blew.

I've been watching the temps as we tow now & see what looks to be an interesting pattern. I see the truck tires maybe gaining 10-12 deg (70 deg day, truck tire at maybe 90 deg) but depending on which tire position on the camper, the temp will go as high as 131 deg. That concerns me as I read somewhere (RVTireSafety?) that once a tire hits 160 deg, it will probably fail.

That started me looking at how to correct the problem as there is obviously an imbalance issue as well as a possible size/load issue. What I've not done yet is weigh the whole thing to get at least the axle weights. What I'd like to do is to get each wheel weighed, that would tell me a lot.

We've decided that the best solution is to replace the Seville with a new camper so that's the present plan. We placed a Alliance Paradigm 365RD on order this week for delivery in December (not optimal but it will work). Since we aren't traveling this winter due to COVID-19, that works out.

We have certainly enjoyed our time in the Seville, my only complaint/concern has been the tires. Other than that, it's performed admirably.

I'll be placing a listing in the buy/sell section of the Owners forum, I have already put one in RVT.com, & will be putting one in FB Marketplace & the camper listings there (provided I can get it to work).
Old 10-03-2020, 06:40 AM   #11
Site Team

That's quite a trailer Al. Nice looking rig.
Congrats. I sure hope you have better luck with this one.

When Seville first came out I was able to get a walk thru from a couple in the campground that had one. It was an awesome rig!
Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #12
Seasonal Camper

We've enjoyed the Seville & were seriously conflicted about letting it go. We have wintered in it for 5 years and gotten to camp with our grandkids in it. Other than the tires, it's been relatively trouble free. The issues it had we were able to get fixed with Crossroads still had the service facility in Topeka.

The Alliance camper takes what Crossroads started with the aluminum frame a step further., All welded joints, no luan in the walls, and all marine grade wood in the subfloor, & a larger shower will be good. There are some things in the Seville that we lose but I think with a little engineering I think I can work around them. The real hazard on the 365RD is overload. The basement has real potential for holding too much stuff, particularly since there is a slide out tray at the back & 8 basement doors.