Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
New Camper

Too far gone?

hey guys, 1st time owner here.

I came across an older guy (in his 80s) who wanted to sell his 2006 zinger 31qb as he was older and was ready to move in with his kids. the water heater didn't work, it needed some new tires, and the roof didn't leak, but it had in the past before the new lapseal. So I bit. 3000 bucks seemed like a steal for something I could just remodel the inside a bit and have a nice trailer. It also had all the paperwork in order and would be legal.

well.... I'm feeling a bit stupid now as I've been in it for a few weeks now and have found quite a bit more. I didn't quite know everything to look for which is completely my fault. Im debating trying to sell it to someone who just wants to use it as a deer camp and getting something else, or tackling it myself. the exterior isn't bad.

-I'm going to have to replace the roof altogether I'm afraid. There feels like quite a bit of rotton wood underneath it. I also found a few rips where he had covered with lap sealant.
-there are about 3 soft spots that I have now found.
-the toilet was leaking. Need to rip out the foor insulation to asses that d
damage.
-there are a couple of leaks around a window
-the battery wasnt taking a charge.

What I have done so far:
-4 new tires.
-Installed an electric ecotemp 7 gal water heater, which i actually like alot
better.
-Changed the toilet.
-repatched some areas on the roof.
-Disconnected the onboard battery tender and using an external one.
-cleaned out the blackwater tank.
-went around the trailer and changed out all the rusty external screws.
-4 new leveling jacks

I'm considering gutting the whole thing and doing it all over. new flooring, new wall panels, changing rotton frame parts, new insulation, and redo the roof and recover with another sheet of TPO or EPDM. I could probably spend 3-5K and make it nice inside. then I'll have about 8k into something unique and built to my spec. I also have the know how to do so, as well as all the tools I'll need as I've done a few rooms in my house. my real hangup is the roof. After watching some youtube videos it doesn't seem to terribly hard, just time consuming. But I also have no experience dealing with roofing.

I guess my question is, has anyone here undertaken a project before? I'm expecting some scoldings here for not doing better on my prebuy, which I deserve. The difference with my house is when I update it, it helps my house value. With these things though, it seems like the resale value plummits no matter what. I wouldn't intend to sell this thing anytime soon and am looking to live in it for the next few years and rent out my house. I also know that if I were try to resell it, my morals wouldn't allow me to let it go without disclosing my findings, so I'm not sure I'd get my money back on it which would be an expensive lesson.

So what does this board favor? labor of love, or restard? I tend to lean towards more of labor of love as is reflected in my 94 bronco I rebuilt and will never sell (Dropped a diesel into it). I've never been one to throw things away and would much rather fix whats broke, but if I'm just being stupid in thinking I should rebuild, I would like to get the opinion of the community here and someone to tell me that if so. I'm 29, unmarried, no kids, and my only debt is my house which will be paid off in 2 years. my other thought was to purchase a gutted airstream, but good luck finding one of those for less than 8k sitting on blocks in the woods somewhere.

Am I being stubborn? am I missing something?
Dread Pilot Boberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:37 PM   #2
Site Team

Sounds lilke a major, major project. It would be way too much for me to undertake.

If I were you, I would first focus and making the rv water tight. That means roof, window, running lights, anywhere there is intrusion into the body of the camper.

Have you checked the frame, axle and brakes? That could be the determining factor whether to dump it or continue.

Truthfully, I've seen decent rv's for sale for way less then you are going to sink into this one.

Good luck on your decision, but at this time, I vote to get rid of it.

EAGLE HT FIFTH WHEEL | 30.5CKTS - '13 Ford F150 SCREW - PullRite Superslide - Roadmaster Active Suspension
Member - "Northeast Adventures RV Rally Group" & "Mason-Dixon Bunch"
mark5w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #3
Weekend Camper

IMHO I'd dump it and use your new found knowledge to find a better candidate for your efforts. I've seen way better for what you paid for that one. If being honest, Most of us paid too much for the first one. [emoji41] Happy Trails
fredtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
Seasonal Camper

It depends on how much you enjoy tinkering with it. You can almost always buy a better house/boat/rv/etc. for less than someone else has put in it but if you love the process and pride in accomplishment, its not a bad thing to do. Which is more important to you: time and effort or money?

I've seen a few 30-40 year old RV's that were restored jewels.

Are you sure the soft spots on the roof are damage or is it just thin laminate? Mine has squishy spots that are just a quirk of the framing coupled with the thin decking. Also you can get a sprayed on roof similar to truck bed liner that I've heard is about bullet proof and about the price of a new rubber membrane and is just sprayed on at your location.

Let us know what you decide and keep us updated on the rebuild if you decide to do it.