Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2011, 10:03 AM   #1
Weekend Camper

Need some feed back on tow max tires, sold out here in pacific northwest by Les schwab tire centers, am going to replace the mission St225/75r/15 d rated with the tow max of same size but are e rated, that is if you all have had good experience with them. tow max are made is the usa. only other option is at our local smalll wal mart for goodyear, but they dont have e rated and I have to take the wheels and tires off and bring them in no room for our 30sk in there service area.

Forks Wa.

1997 Chev 3500

2007 Cruiser 30SK

2 old well traveled cats

1982 Chev Elcamino

1975 Harley Davidson XLH
Lstreutker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

One thing to look for is the date codes on the tires, don't let them put old tires on.

Example of a tire manufactured since 2000 with the current Tire Identification Number format:<div ="bordered"> <table border="0" cellSpacing="0" cellPadding="2" width="95%"><t><tr><td>In the example above:
DOT U2LL LMLR 51</span>07</span></td><td></td> </tr><tr vAlign="top"><td>DOT U2LL LMLR</span> 51</span>07</span></td><td>Manufactured during the <str&#111;ng ="blue">51<sup>st </sup>[/b]week of the year</td> </tr><tr vAlign="top"><td>DOT U2LL LMLR 51</span>07</span></td><td>Manufactured during 20<str&#111;ng ="red">07[/b]</td> </tr> </t></table>

While the entire Tire Identification Number is required to be branded onto one sidewall of every tire, current regulations also require that DOT and the first digits of the Tire Identification Number must also be branded onto the opposite sidewall. Therefore, it is possible to see a Tire Identification Number that appears incomplete and requires looking at the tire’s other sidewall to find the entire Tire Identification Number

The use of a partial Tire Identification Number on the one sidewall (shown above) reduces the risk of injury to the mold technician that would have to install the weekly date code on the top sidewall portion of a hot tire mold.

Chrisnan23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
hhh
Seasonal Camper

The Towmax tires are made in China. Stay away, stay far away. Maxxis would be my only choice in a 15" ST tire. Your best option would be to upgrade to 16" wheel and get a good LT tire. Just google towmax blowout.

Edited by: hhh
https://www.tgifrv.com/wp-c&#111;ntent/gal.../rigsigpic.jpg

'11 CF285RL Patriot - '08 GMC 3500HD D/A CC LB Dually - Yamaha Zuma 125

tgif: let's RV
hhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Family Vacation Member

Tow Max tires came on my 5th wheel had them on for six years had no problem with them. Put new tireson last year only because they were six years old still looked like new.

'05 28CK

'03 Silverado 8.1 Allison Trans
ThreePutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #5
Full Time Camper

IMHO I would go with MADE in the USA Goodyear Marathons. Much easier to find when away from home.

Maxxis also get good reviews, but their network is much much smaller.

Last option / most costly upgrade to 16" wheels and go with LT tires and remove that question of doubt of blow out.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
Full Time Camper

I had Tow Max from the factory and one of them wore badly. I bought Maxxis from Discount Tire (they are in WA state too) and the problem was solved. Have had them for 2 years and 12-15K miles with no problems at all.
Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 02:17 PM   #7
hhh
Seasonal Camper

Marathons are no longer made in the U.S.

Go to http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&amp;tireModel=Marathon +Radial and click specs.

Edited by: hhh

Old 09-22-2011, 10:40 PM   #8
Seasonal Camper

My trailer came with Tow Max and I had several years with maybe 12000 uneventful miles. Of all of the Chinese tires they seem to have the best rep...BUT I upgraded to Maxiis E rated tires and roll the 1000 miles to NC in the heat twice a year now with much more confidence. Make sure your wheels can handle the additional pressure. Mine were stamped on the backside (inside...not under the tire) 80psi max. Had I needed to change wheels I would've considered 16 inch LT's...BUT...once again you will find discussions regarding side wall strength on LT's versus ST's. I spent many hours researching tires and you will find no bad reports on the Maxiis. I ordered the Maxiis from Discount also....my 3rd set from them, they are cheap and prompt. If extra cash is burning a hole I'd be more apt to spend it on pressure monitors than a wheel tire upgrade. I would'nt buy the Tow max.
Tom&Denice, Carmel,Betsy, Brighton&Daisy(Rescued Cockers)YukonXL 2500 8.1 4:10 CT31GR https://i276.photobucket.com/albums/k...ofP1010009.jpg
ClassicHammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
Full Time Camper

What would be nice to know is the failure rate ofChinesetires compared toAmerican made tires of the same type. Much is made of the "china bombs" but there is really nothing with which to compare. None of the ST tires are made in the USA, even Maxxis. Are the Chinese made tires really prone to a higher percentage of failure? How much is due to under/over inflation, excess speed or overloading?

I am not advocating either for or against these tires. It just would be nice to have all the facts.

Art and Karen
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F, 2013 Ford C Max toad.
170 nights in 2013
132 in 2014
artgpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
Weekend Camper

Thanks for the info, makes purchasing new tiresa challenge when you live in a remote area without any dealers within a hour and a half driveande no rv dealers for 120 miles,

Keep on rving

Forks Wa.

1997 Chev 3500

2007 Cruiser 30SK

2 old well traveled cats

1982 Chev Elcamino

1975 Harley Davidson XLH
Lstreutker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 01:59 AM   #11
Full Time Camper

I had the tow max tires on my camper when new. Had no problem with them until one of the five started to fail. Since that time I went to BFG LT tires and have been very happy. Don't know where there are made but these are still looking good.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:02 AM   #12
hhh
Seasonal Camper

IMHO he should just bite the bullet now and get 16" wheels and LT tires. He has to buy tires anyways, might as well put the tire issue to rest now.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:03 AM   #13
Full Time Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhh

Marathons are no longer made in the U.S.

Go to http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&amp;tireModel=Marathon +Radial and click specs.

This is either old information prior to Mar 2010 or new information as my Marathons are stamped USA. Manufactured early 2010 and installed June of 2010. Also note the *

*Although regularly updated, the country of origin for any tire may vary

from the country shown here. Unfortunately, we cannot accommodate

requests for tires with a specific country of origin.

Best bet would be check with your local dealer and make it known that you don't want China made.

'07 F250 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4

'08 CF30QB

Reese Signature Slider 18k Hitch
salda01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
hhh
Seasonal Camper

It is new info. Goodyear made them in China a number of years ago. They brought manufacturing back to the U.S. a couple years ago. This year sent production back to China.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:59 AM   #15
Full Time Camper

We had Tow Max tires on our CF30SK from day one and I just replaced them this year after 6 years of use. I had only two problems with them and they weren't from the tires. One tire had worn down to the steel belts on one side due a bent axle and the over had the tread belt ripped off it because the boost settingon the brake controller was set to max, unbeknowst to me.
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 AM   #16
Weekend Camper

My 2005 29RK came with Tow Max D rated tires. I have never checked to see when the tires were actually manufactured. I have not had any problems with the Tow Max tires, with the exception of the valve stems rotting out within about two years. I was putting air in the spare and when I put the filler on the stem it cracked at the base and began to leak. I replaced all of the stems (metal/rubber combo) before they had a chance to totally fail.

Due to tire age, I am now replacing them with Maxxis E rated tires and steel valve stems in prep for a TPMS. I haven't used the 5th wheel much in the last two years (another story) or I probably would have replaced them sooner.

My Maxxis E tires were delivered a few days ago after being on back order for about a month. I spoke with Maxxis and was told that these tires are now being made in Thailand in a new 'state of the art' factory. My point being that fresh 225/75/15E's are now available. My the way, these tires were only six weeks old when I received them........ I practically had to let them cool off before I could handle them.I am also going with steel valve stems this time around.

See you out there,

Robert
Huntington Beach, California
100ton is offline   Reply With Quote