Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2011, 01:55 AM   #1
New Camper

I currently pull my 35' Seville with an F250 V10 Ford. I owned this vehicle prior to purchasing the 5th wheel. As it is gas powered, it just doesn't have the torque needed. I am going to purchase a 1 ton diesel but would like some input before I make the purchase. My choices have narrowed to either the Ford F350 Crew Cab single axle 4X4 or the Dodge 1 tone single axle 3500 Mega Cab 4X4. Duallies are out of my choices. I looked at the 2011 Ford and have reservations about the new exhaust system in having to add the special additive. Dodge on the other hand is known for it's pulling power but I hear complaints about it falling apart after minimal use. Any input is appreciated.
DSlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:46 AM   #2
Full Time Camper

Hmmm my 2005 at 85,000 is still going strong, other than oil changes the only thing I did was replace those rotten tires at 55,000 miles, because of age not wear. Mind you mine is a two wheel dodge. Remember that the dodge has a flat torque curve that kick in at 1100 RPM where your Ford and Chevrolete kicks in at 2200 to 2400 rpm. The new Dodges have a true crew cab, unless you have a real need for the Max cab that is the way I would go. the Maxi cab adds about two hundred pounds to the truck weight, Go drive one, and see how you like it. Having said the above, I can not find use Dodge diesel to buy for the whole sale business. Fords I can find but the Ford dealers will not buy them from me

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
Site Team

Not trying to knock any brand/anyone. Just curious, Frank have you heard any complaints on fuel economy for the new Dodge Cummings? Scuttlebutt going around here, the guys aren't to happy about it.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 03:16 AM   #4
Full Time Camper

lloyd can only go with what a friend has, he bought one last year one ton two wheel drive just turned 32 k and is now getting 18 to 20 on the highway and 12 to 13 towing mind you he is a 55 mph tower. I stopped by our local dealership and asked about the mileage on the brand new ones, and no report back yet from their customers. If past history is good than the good fuel mileage will kick in between 30,000 miles and 42,000. on mine I saw a big jump at the 42K area

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 06:14 AM   #5
Family Vacation Member

Have new 4500 crew cab with 400hp/800# torque with 4.44 rears, 6 spd auto and 4 wheel drive with duals and custom alum. bed. Truck weight with 52 gal fuel 9800#. I am getting 11.5 to 12.5 in town towing a trailer 50% of the time. Have gotten 14.5 mpg bobtail on a 2 hr interstate trip. This unit is far superior to my 08F450 (fuel mileage and durability stunk).

Kernersville, NC

2011 Ram 4500 SLT 4x4

2005 PF36SK
delqcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

We just pulled our Seville to North Carolina and back so I can tell you how it went for us.

We tow with a 2008 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.6L turbo-diesel, Allison's 6-speed tow/go & 3.73 axle. Admittedly, with the Seville, we are at our weight limit but with a different set of springs on the truck (going to progressive 1 ton with boosters). we'll be back in the proper range.

I've found that the truck runs best towing at between 1700 - 1800 rpm in 5th gear which lets me run somewhere in the mid-60 mph range. Flat country mileage will be around 12 -12.5mpg with as high as 13mpg under the right conditions. The truck gets 21.5 - 22 mpg at 67mph with no load (no trailer) and will drop to about 19 mpg when I get above 70mph. In-town mileage is not near as good but I really didn't expect it to be.

Running from central Indiana to just west of Asheville, staying a week, driving about 30 miles/day on twisting (45mph) roads, and then towing back to Indiana averaged at 10mpg. This is running some Indiana highways (55mph & small towns), I-74, I-75, I-640, I-40 to exit 37 on I-40 and back. I also towed in and out of Pigeon Forge (I-40 exit 407 to the KOA) in traffic so that didn't help much with the mileage.

I had to downshift a few times as the truck dropped to about 1500-1600 rpm on a long uphill grade, I was still able to maintain 50 - 55mph (max rpm was about 2250) and found myself passing trucks (and the occasional RV) on the uphill grades. I think I only had 1 time that I dropped to 45mph and it was at a point that I couldn't get out and around a slower truck.

As I read the various posts on trucks here in the Crossroads fora as well as in others, it can turn into an interesting discussion. When I got my truck, I looked at both the Ford, Dodge, and GM products but I also looked at what various Fire and EMS departments are putting in for service chassis as those folks tend to push a vehicle to the limit (not intentionally, just the nature of the group). I also looked at what various companies are putting out for service trucks and how those are holding up.

There is a guy locally that pulls commercially with a 2011 GMC 3500HD (goosneck trailers hauling cars) into the southeast from the midwest. He gets about 13 mpg with his towing and about 20 open road empty.

I went with the 2500HD long before we got our Seville. I'd have liked to had the 3500HD but couldn't find one anywhere within 250 miles. At the time, I wasn't even considering a 5th wheel. At the time we had a 26' bumper pull Sunnybrook and the 2500HD was plenty of truck.

I suspect that others will add to this but the sentiment that you can never have too much truck is true in a lot of cases. What I've found interesting with the GM chassis is that the only thing that changes between the 2500HD and 3500HD (single axle) is the springs according to the parts guys at the local truck shop. When you go to a dual or to the 4500/5500 the chassis, axles, and tires change, the engine and transmission stay the same but there is a different ECM put into play.

Get what you'll be happy with as far as creature comforts as that makes a huge difference to both you and your co-pilot.

Have fun and good luck truck shopping.

2021 Alliance Paradigm 365RD
WoodcarvingGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:21 AM   #7
Site Team

Very nice write up Al.

Lloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 02:12 AM   #8
Weekend Camper

I am pulling a mk-33 (10,000lbs) with my 2011 2500chevy with the duramax diesel, I am VERY happy with my truck. I get approx 10-12 mpg towing, and 17-19mpg regular driving. I have been known to push the speed limit from time to time, so I feel I am getting real good fuel consumtion. As for the DEF additive, I have to put around five gallons in every 7000 miles. Considering that there is NO black smoke like there used to be, I feel it is well worth the $22.00 is cost to fill the DEF tank up.
Overall, I am extremely happy with my GM truck, I would not hesitate to buy another one. It pulls my crossfire very smoothly and sometimes I forget it is there.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions

Steve Rees

2011 Chevy Siverado 2500w/Duramax Diesel

2013 Elevation 3612
stevenrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 03:12 AM   #9
Family Vacation Member

As far as I know Dodge still doesn't have the heavy frame that the Ford and chev have. I have been a Ford fan for many years but my current mileage is about 8 mpg towing with the standard 3.55 rear end. I can get 20+ easily when not towing but I only have it for towing. I checked into Chevy because they have some really decent prices but they don't make a short box one ton except in a crew cab. If you are concerned at all about GVWR of the truck with your current trailer you might want to look real close at that Dodge before you make your decision. I have heard they were going to beef up the frame this year but I haven't heard anything about it yet. Otherwise I would be seriously looking at a Dodge also.

2012 Cruiser CF325CKP

2010 Ford F-350 6.4 SB 4wd

W0CSC

Semper Fi 59-63
calliopeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:32 AM   #10
Seasonal Camper

edit: sorry, a little click happy with the mouse...

anyway, I think any of the big 3 are good, but it just comes down to preference. I think a big part of the towing is the rear end. I went with 4.10s. Sure it sucks on mileage but it feels real comfortable towing. Even on steep grades when you step on it, it just goes. I usually see about 11 to 11.5 mpg hooked up (12k lbs) and 15-18 mpg unhooked city/highway. 3.55s will give you great mileage but might struggle on grades. If you go with 3.73s you may end up with a happy medium. But in the end if your concerned about mileage maybe you should look at a smart car.... When I fill up, I don't watch the pump... just wait for it to stop and go pay.
Oh, by the way, no DEF is nice too!

Edited by: happycampers
'11 Crossroads Cruiser CF325CK

https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4/S4011042.jpg
happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:34 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

I have the new Dodge 3500 crew cab. I see no reason for most people to get the mega cab. The back seat area in the mega cab is absolutely HUGE. More leg room than the front seats!!! On the other hand, the crew cab is bigger than most full size cars rear seating. Lots of legroom for anyone except Michael Jordan! As to mileage...I get over 20mpg on the highway running empty and 12.5 to 13.0 when pulling a CF305SKP. All this being said, the truck only has 2000 miles on it, so I expect things to get better when it gets broken in.

Dodge 3500, 2011 CF305SKP
CygnusSailor is offline   Reply With Quote