Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2009, 05:37 AM   #1
New Camper

I am new to this forum, but wanted to ask a question concerning the tow capability of the 2009 GMC Sierra half ton pickup. I am contemplating buying a cruiser 28rl fifth wheel and am concerned about the weight if pulled with my currentpickup. The dry weight listed is around 7200-7300 lbs. Totalmaxfor the truck is 7900 lbs. This doesn't bother me as much as the pin weight. The pinper Crossroads is 1675 lbs. It seems to me that I will exceed the Gross Vehicle Weight of theTruck (7100 lbs). Is anyone pulling this fifth wheel with a 1500 (half ton). Ifso is it adequate or am I just asking for trouble? Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 06:33 AM   #2
Seasonal Camper

Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeG
Welcome to the forum. I think you came to the right place to ask this question. I don't have any input onyour questionright now. You will get input from a lot of people here.
GeorgeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
Seasonal Camper

Ok I had a few minutes to look at thing here. This is what I see.Towing capacity of truck is 7900 lbs, the trailer is 7271 lbs. 7900-7271= 629 lbs. Keep in mind that the trailer weight listed is empty. Once you start to put things in the weight goes up. If you fill the fresh water tank you are going to add close to 500 lbs. The 629 lbs left is for passengers in the truck and items placed in the trailer. I would say that the truck might pull the trailer, but stay on the level. Any hill may not be well liked by the truck and will probally crawl up it.

As for the pin weight and the truck being over the GVWR, once the trailer is connected you need to go by the Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR). This should also be in your owners manual or drivers door jamb. This takes in to account the weight of both vehicles.

But on the other hand the pin weight is close to your payload weight, which is amount loaded in the bed and passengers. The rear of the truck may sag when hitched.

I would say the truck is small for pulling the trailer, but that is just my two . Others may have different insight and better knowledge of this.

I would also like to hear what others have to say on this, to increase my knowledge, and to let me knowif I'm wrong here.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #4
Weekend Camper

Do you know what the curb weight of your truck is? You also need to keep in mind that the pin weight is with the trailer empty. At 23% ratio, with the trailer at the gross weight the pin weight would then be about 2700 lbs. My 3/4 ton with 1675 lbs pin weight would only leave about two hundred pounds before I went over the GVWR. It seems that you would be overloaded.

Hope this helps

07 Cruiser CT32SB
crustyolsalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Full Time Camper

Weight is just one of the issues with your half-ton. If your truck GVWR is 7200 lbs, it looks like you've got a bit too much trailer for your truck. The weight that you need to look at when towing a trailer is the GVWR of the trailer. Mind you, you'll never likely load your trailer to that weight but you may come close.

You asked if the half-ton will pull the 28RL and answer is yes but with qualifications. You didn't mention the engine size, tranny and rear axle ratio.The biggest engine available is the 5.3L V8. It'll have enough power to pull it depending on the rear axle ratio. A 3.73 rear end is the minimum that you should have, along with a HD cooling system. Tires is another issue, because half-tons come with P-rated tires that are not intended for the loads added by the weight of a fiverking pin.

I had a '03 Silverado equipped as I mentioned, pulling a 6300 lb GVWR fiver and it had to work for it's keep. As long as I kept the tranny in 3rd and T/H, the 5.3 did a good job on the flat, but as soon as it started uphill, that's when it quickly lost it's poop. It wasn't uncommon for me to be going up grades in 2nd gear at 45mph with the engine screaming away at close to 4000RPM. As for fuel comsumption, the 5.3 sucked it in at the rate of 9 to 10 miles to the gallon whether flat, uphill or downhill. The trailer that you are looking at has nearly twice the GVWR of the one that I was towing.

If you don't intend to tow it across country then an appropriately equipped half-ton will doan adequate job but will be disappointing for any slow longdistance run.

Edited by: Hamops
2006 Cruiser CF30SK
Hamops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #6
Seasonal Camper

I have a CF27RL which is similar but without the bedroom slide. I have a 3/4 ton Duramax and it handles it very well.

Little brother has a CF28RL and went to a 1 ton gasser to handle it. His 3/4 ton FWD with a strong 350 did not handle it very well.

Hopes this helps.

Viet Nam Vet 70-71 Da Nang

Real airplanes have two wings and big, round, engines
BipeFlier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Weekend Camper

We pull our 28RL with a F250 7.3 diesel. It pull well, even in the mountains, but I wouldn't want a smaller truck. Love the 28RL though - get a bigger truck!

Judy&Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Family Vacation Member

I am pulling my CF29CK with 3/4Ton F-250 Diesel and sometimes have a tough time pulling up steep hills.
Get at least a 3/4 ton diesel.

CF29CK 2006

F-350 2006

https://danyshula.blogspot.com//
danyshula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Weekend Camper

We have a 28RL.....and it is perfect for us. In fact,3 of the state parks we are heading for in florida....(Long Key, Gamble Rogers and Sebastian Inlet), we were able to book because the only spaces left were for 28' and smaller. Not much counter space, but put on a counter extender and all set.

We decided on the Dodge 1 ton Diesel....although we have not been to the rockies yet, we have climbed some mountains in TN that made us glad. ....even down I77 and I75 Does the weight of the trailer include furniture?
ccsabathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 07:18 AM   #10
New Camper

Thanks to everyone for the responses to my question. The truck is a 2009 GMC Sierra (1500). It has a 5.3 L V8 with 3.73 rear axle. It is 4WD and has theexternal transmission cooler.I believe the curb weight of the truck is 5,263 lbs. Listed maximum payload capacity is 1,830 lbs. GVWR is 7,100 lbs. It sounds like I may be pushing it with this camper.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:25 AM   #11
Seasonal Camper

As to pushing it, I would say yes. As others here have said, look in to another truck. When I bought my truck I was told to buy bigger than you need. I did and a year later a new 5er, only because of so many problems with the TT we had. If you go bigger with a new truck, you won't have the worries of, will I be alright pulling this trailer. Just my.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:20 AM   #12
Family Vacation Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeG
As to pushing it, I would say yes. As others here have said, look in to another truck. When I bought my truck I was told to buy bigger than you need. I did and a year later a new 5er, only because of so many problems with the TT we had. If you go bigger with a new truck, you won't have the worries of, will I be alright pulling this trailer. Just my.
Hey George, I finally agree with Ya

02 F250 PSD

07 Cruiser: CF29RK

You CAN get there from here it just takes longer https://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w...s/100_1893.jpg
riverotter55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:29 AM   #13
Seasonal Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverotter55
Hey George, I finally agree with Ya

I figured someone would sooner or later!!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:36 AM   #14
Full Time Camper

Have you looked at the Sunset Trails 5ver that is more 1/2 ton friendly also the Zinger line

Traveling with Rainbow the wonder dog and now with Sunshine the rescue Schnauzer.
fhenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:25 AM   #15
Weekend Camper

From simple experience, I vote for a 3/4 ton truck. I've pulled my ST26RK (5400 dry) with a 1/2 ton truck and although it would do it, it was a lot of work, especially on grades. I knew I was killing it. With the giveaway price of trucks these days I have moved to the 2008 Chevy 2500 HD and the difference trailering is night and day. I also paid $8 grand less than I did for the '96 1/2 ton. We are talking heavier tires, springs, brakes, transmission, engine, rear axle, frame, etc. all the good things you want for an easy and safe trailering experience. Now is a really good time to upgrade. Don't pass it up.